PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I am proud of the Discourse in the other thread, went a long time before it was shut down and many good opinions and it was civil , thank you all for the many observations.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I kinda doubt that if you are taken in by this garbage statistic slanted to make the USA deliberately look a zillion percent out of proportion.
No, really, I strongly support the right to bear arms. Conceal carry and everything. Regardless of what the the various charts say. No need to doubt.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
But on a side note, why is humanity so incompetent? It seems like across the globe, there are few stable/nice places to live.
The answer is really simple, Death, because all the places are run by politicians and big governments. Really. The whole point of the US Constitution is to keep (our) government in check as the most anti-government document ever made. All our problems come back to 545 people.
If left to the populations themselves, most of them would create nice places to live. The whole point really of gun ownership is a check on government because government, even the best of them are all about force.
It makes me shrug as you see people from UK, Canada, etc., all run from a simple topic like this, they are not allowed to even speak freely. Years ago, Australia was talked into giving up their guns as were the Brits, and since then, crime has gone through the roof. It is a free range of easy pickings when you are a criminal and you know that all about you are helpless, defenseless and afraid.
Regardless of what the the various charts say.
Great to hear. Study my charts closely and ask yourself how is it they contradict so much with that other then look at the sources of where they came!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Actually, you may safely draw those conclusions but, all the maps also support other conclusions. One being that it is safer to live Lincoln than New York City, Amarillo is safer than Houston, Bakersfield than Los Angeles. Or, that it is safer to live in a predominantly Republican area than in an area controlled by Democrats. Most importantly, the lower the population density the safer you will be. All sorts of conclusions can be supported from the data posted. It all depends on what you want to conclude.
My only conclusion, after reviewing the presented maps, is that the fewer people there are, the lower the chance of dying from a gunshot, gun ownership aside. There are a lot of gun owners in New York City (He observed facetiously)...
Most strange and, worthy of note, is the map published by The Huffington Post. Who'd a thunk it! No editorial slant. I suppose that would have been in the accompanying article. Should be an interesting, even humorous, read.
By the way, what's the over/under on the lock? I put my money on under unless the number is unrealistically high.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Lets keep politics and polarization out of the topic please. No one is forcing anyone to read much less agree with my thread much less buy guns if they don't want to. But the next time you are the victim of a crime, who will you call, a police officer loaded to the teeth, or Diane Feinstein?
More important, would you rather be a subject of your country or one of its /citizens?!/

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
40 years ago? Possibly Feinstein. She was a looker and I was a cop. Politics a side, I'm not looking for stimulating conversation. I will admit that the department now has it's share of great looking policettes. So, maybe yes, I just might dial up the department.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Closing thought (whatever your view on guns, liberty and personal defense):
Before a man talks peace, he better be prepared to back it up with war!
and
True men of peace are men of great courage.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
The funny thing is, 700 years ago they wouldn't have even been talking about guns on the Internet, because guns weren't even invented yet! I'm sure the Internet was replete with crossbow discussions back then. :mrgreen:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A great percentage of violent crime involving guns in the USA is due to prohibition. We never seem to learn this lesson though. If you want to drastically reduce violent crime, end drug prohibition. If you want to drastically increase it, outlaw firearms.
Most folks shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, much less wield a firearm.
Regarding the word "allowed" would I be correct to assume this means you want the government to prohibit it?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Most folks shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, much less wield a firearm.

It's kinda embarrassing, but I've been known to drink a bit...and the harder I fight to keep it between the lines, the more I tend to swerve toward the ditch...and the following night, I may be on a slightly different road, but am still likely to end up in the ditch if I'm doing the same thing...Owned guns since I was big enough to pull a trigger, but discussions on gun rights are always going to be political...shutting it down....

Status
Not open for further replies.