PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I'm so happy I live in America. The average wait time for the police to show in many places is between 10 and 20 minutes. They cannot be there in time to protect me from an assailant.
Had just one person in France last year been armed, they might have stopped all the bloody massacre during that festival celebration. People who break into homes, assault schools and the like, do so because they know or believe there is no gun waiting for them on the other side of the door.
Guns don't kill people, stupid and dangerous people do, and if you pass a law to disarm all the citizens, none of the criminals will turn theirs in! All you do is create a populace of victims ripe for the picking.
Firearms save far more lives than most people know by deterrent and defense, though 99% of these situations never go reported in the media.
Americans have guns, lots of guns and they know how to use them. But then, some countries like Sweden and some cities and counties in the USA, Israel, etc., require you to own a gun. Require you. In Russia, they teach schoolkids how to field strip and assemble an AK-47 in no time flat. Zip! Bang! Boom.
Chance favors the prepared. No one is looking to hurt someone but better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it. All it takes is one time.
And if you can get the federal stamp, all things are possible. :mrgreen: You see criminals break into homes and torture and kill old people, go on a rampage in schools, movie theaters, malls, but you never see them break into a police station.
Things are bad in the big cities but I ask you to pick and choose who you will assault? Here is a video welcoming you to America, and keep in mind, most everyone here is carrying a gun, they came from far and wide, they do this all of the time, no one went crazy, not a single person was assaulted or robbed, and not a single person ever got hurt. Please turn the volume up. You want to invade the United States? Please make our day. Over and out.
Have A Nice Night

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
No lock.. I hope. Not trying to instigate anything here, no arguments, just trying to let people see who might not be from here the real stark contrast of Hometown America in contrast to places like Europe. I just don't recommend you go down to Kentucky, etc., to some of these people and tell them they are nuts or crazy. You might get schooled.
Real serious business to these boys.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
toob: You just knew I'd chime in. Sorry, most American people are not under arms. I'm very thankful for that after some of what was posted on that recently closed thread.
I am in before the lock however! These threads never end well but, they can be most interesting for a bit. So, everyone gather around the old campfire and, ala Blazing Saddles, let off a bit of gas before the inevitable lock.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Welcome in warren. Like I said, just wanted to make a point I didn't get the chance to make last night, not looking for arguments, angst, friction or hurt feelings. I would have been just as happy if no one posted anything and if it is going to get crazy again, I'd ask the mods to just close this thread too.
Having control over one's life is not crazy. Responsible gun owners are some of the most responsible people you'd ever want to meet and I'm sure there were a lot of LEO in the video crowd shooting some of those guns. Bottom line, about a third to half the people in this country own guns and a lot of them are armed to the teeth. Me personally, I am not promoting violence, guns are discipline, and if I am ever met with a deadly situation, I will make the determination to use whatever force is necessary, no more, no less. But I resented the insinuation by some that many people would blow away a kid needlessly given the slightest excuse. It just don't work that way.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
gun-house-600x547.jpg

screen-shot-2014-12-21-at-13600-pm-600x471.png

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Cortez, I've never met a responsible, able gun owner who was a bad driver.
I've never met an inept, clumsy, hapless person who wanted to learn firearms.
No laws says you have to drive. No law says you have to learn firearms safety and usage.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
toob: This thread allows me to post a thought I had before the closing of the other thread. For that I thank you as I think this is a most important observation.
I will tell you this and it's based a lot of experience, study and analyses. No one really knows if they are capable of taking a life. That wee hesitation is why cops and civilians get killed. The perp has most likely made up his mind before he set out to do his deeds. The homeowner will have to reach that determination as the situation unfolds. The difference in mindset is critical to the outcome.
You may think you are capable. You may be fully convinced but, until the time comes you really won't know!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Most folks shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, much less wield a firearm.
While I am enjoying toobfreak's point, I think this is the balancing factor: quality of people varies. Pick the good people, and keep the rest at bay. I have known a lot of poor people, and the majority of them are not criminal. Some choose criminality, even when they have enough. That brings it down, to me, to personal quality. There are good people and bad people, and some area in between, although not as wide or as profound as people think.
As far as guns go, I wish I could afford more of them. It's hard to decide between pipes, pens and guns.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Allow a new guy to comment. This has nothing to do with me bring a Brit - but it does have everything to do with coming to a friendly community of fellow pipe smokers to talk about that which unites us.
Frankly, I can well do without this kind of thread. There is a reason the other was closed.
Having said my piece, I am out of it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It might be good for people to learn to disagree politely, on the internet in general, and not to expect everyone to agree. The more we suppress the beast within, the more it roars.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I strongly support the right to bear arms, but let's be realistic:
I kinda doubt that if you are taken in by this garbage statistic slanted to make the USA deliberately look a zillion percent out of proportion.
Try these charts if you can read the fine print:

USA among the highest in gun ownership. Among the lowest in intentional homicides.
gunshomicidesworld-505x600.png

The places of highest gun crimes and murder rates are the places of strictest gun laws.
Nothing crazy about owning guns. What is crazy is how so much of the rest of the world populace has been conditioned to think being disarmed is normal and actually makes them safer.
screen-shot-2013-04-08-at-92541-am-600x400.png

screen-shot-2015-08-07-at-10229-am-600x334.png

Conclusion: take away a few of the major cities like Detroit, Chicago and NYC all run by anti-gunners and uber-strict gun laws and you'd cut gun crime statistics to a small fraction.
Conclusion: It isn't the guns or even the gun owners who cause what gun crime we have but the social disorder caused by the big city anti-gun lobbies and the wack job kids that they produce.
Safest place to live in America is out of the city and in regions where private ownership is encouraged and unfettered.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Nope.
Name created by filmmaker George Lukas for the "Star Wars" film series. It is speculated that that name may be from the Sanskrit word "Yoddha" which means warrior or the Hebrew name "Yodea" meaning "One who knows."

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Safest place to live in America is out of the city
Also less car exhaust that way.
But on a side note, why is humanity so incompetent? It seems like across the globe, there are few stable/nice places to live.
Something worth pondering, perhaps...

Status
Not open for further replies.