Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

How much would you pay for a pipe ?

(94 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

martin

Login to Send PM

I had a bit of spare cash this week so I decided to have a bit of look on ebay for pipes.
    Found this little gem and my jaw dropped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-Bang-Top-Line-Signature-Grade-Cross-Grain-Horn-Pipe-2010-Unsmoked-/270906133991?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f13438de7
    Anybody here bidding on that pipe?

I know everybody has a different budget but seriously, how much would you pay for a pipe?

A few hundred dollars would be my limit, means I can get more later or buy more tobacco!

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. jaysin

jaysin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

3,500 is the bid i could think of funner things to do with that kind of money

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Even if I had that much to spend, I'd be afraid to smoke the darn thing. I'd say a couple hundred at the most for me.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

You could buy a car with 3,500$

You could buy 2oz of gold for 3,500$

You could buy 350 tins of tobacco averaging 10$ a tin

The person that buys that pipe. Is an idiot. Absolute. End of story. Bottom line, idiot.

My limit? I have not paid more than 75$ for a pipe to date.

When my Jake Hackert's arrive to me they will be my most expensive pipes.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reckon ill let that there little gem pass on by

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  6. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$3,500 would be some very nice tools and a bushel of briar and a huge pile of stem material. By the time I completed using this stash, I would have all the pipes I could ever want and also have the skills to make some serious hobby money.

Or I could buy a handful of pipes and a couple pounds of tobacco, the quilting machine my wife wants, lots of other items that the kids wants and still have some money set aside for emergencies.

Winton

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Some people make that kind of money before lunch...it's all relative to a person's income. My highest dollar pipe has been 250.00 so far.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've bought and sold two S. Bangs.
    They are worth every dollar they command.

-Ryan Alden
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. hnryclay

hnryclay

Login to Send PM

Agreed with Hobie1dog, I simply could not afford to drop that kind of money on a pipe. For some that is play money, for me that is about 3,000 dollars more than I would ever spend on a pipe. Not saying that the pipe is not worth it, as the market clearly shows, I just cannot afford it.

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. frank

frank

Login to Send PM

I agree with hobie1dog. It would be a stupid purchase for most of us, because most of us don't have that kind of discretionary income, but for others it would be like buying a cup of coffee.

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

Three hundred bucks and high on pain killers and scotch at the time if I remember right .Lots of sub hundred dollar pipes to not brag about . They all smoke just fine .I am not cheap Iam frugal .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with hobie1dog as well. Where I'm at now, I wouldn't pay much more then $100 for a pipe. But then again I work at McDonalds. If I was a CEO of some multimillion dollar company, then I'd spend any amount on a pipe

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My pipes cost between one hundred and three hundred dollars.They are many years old.I probably couldn't afford to buy some of them at today's prices.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 7 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

martin

Login to Send PM

If something is old, unsmoked and collectable then maybe paying above the odds is worthwhile.

Imagine if after paying 3-5 grand on that pipe it didn't even smoke well!

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Imagine if after paying 3-5 grand on that pipe it didn't even smoke well!

In this price range, every microscopic detail is accounted for.
    Thats really what you buy with a pipe like this. Its a gaurantee that what you get is one of the finest pipes money can buy. You dont have to spend that much to get a great pipe, but if you do you can expect the best there is.

Posted 7 years ago #
  16. smooth

smooth

Login to Send PM

That pipe won't be bought to smoke. It will be bought with a higher priced sell down the road.

Posted 7 years ago #
  17. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple that I spent just over $350 on, over ten years ago.
    I also spent about $7.50 for one of my favorites.
    But, over-all I would have to say that mostly mine are in the $100 to $150 range.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 7 years ago #
  18. sherlock

sherlock

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't pay this for a pipe. I understand that there are some who can pay for it and that it is very finely made, but I don't think that you can find a piece of briar that its worth that price. It is just and inflated beyond any real worth. My limit would be about $300 I think that this is about as fine of a pipe I would ever need.

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. billinsfl

billinsfl

Login to Send PM

Well, it's an S. Bang pipe. One of the biggies, they are right up there with the Ivarssons, Knudsens, Chonowitsch and Nordh. Like a Patek Philippe watch, John Lobb shoes or a Kiton suit, it is pricey, but the best is never cheap.

I've dropped over $1K on a pipe before, but these days with a wife and kids most of them are between $300-$800. I don't have many artisan pipes; really like Dunhills, though.

I know some of Bo Nordh's and Teddy Knudsen's pipes have eclipsed $15K, but I think the most I'd pay is about $3K. And yes, it would be smoked; why else have it?

Posted 7 years ago #
  20. wallbright

wallbright

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Realistically I would probably only pay $200 tops for a pipe. I haven't hit that benchmark yet and I don't plan on it anytime soon. I mostly acquire my pipes on eBay in lots. I then restore the other pipes and sell them so in a way I actually end up getting paid to keep the pipe I wanted all along.

Posted 7 years ago #
  21. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think that my most expensive pipe ran me about $40, and that was a Wellington brand new. In all honesty, it was the best $40 I have ever spend on a pipe. My money goes more towards tobaccos, but with a little frugality and thrifty spending, I have acquired 40 or so pipes in a short time that both look great and smoke fantastic. I think this really all depends on what you look for in a pipe.

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$75 is the most I've spent, and I don't really see the reason to spend much more than that.

Plenty of excellent work is done in the $50-125 price range.

“ Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please. ”
    — Pythagoras
    Posted 7 years ago #
  23. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think this sentiment has been well expressed here, but I have to chime in with the rest of you...It's a matter of your budget, your life style and your reason for buying pipes. I would guess that most are going to buy a pipe like that as an investment and then resell it for a profit. I spend what I can when I can on a pipe that catches my eye. Most of these hand made, over $300.00 pipes will never see my hand.

Posted 7 years ago #
  24. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

2011 was the year of the pipe for me. I purchased 15 pipes! That is really not typical, lol. I have topped $100.00 only twice in 36 year of pipe smoking, and that was in 1986 when I payed $112.00 for a hand carved Sam Martin:

And $200.00 for my Peterson Plato in December 2011:

I am planing this year to save up and buy either another high end Pete or a Radice, if the Pad bug doesn't wear me down.

Posted 7 years ago #
  25. spyder71

Spyder

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, the groceries I could buy with that kind of money! I just debated for three days on my first NEW pipe purchase. I just bought a Sav Trevi Rusticated from PipesAndCicars.com and being broke aside, I just cant see spending much more than a couple hundred on a new pipe.

"I used to cry because I had no shoes. Until I met a man who had no feet"- My favorite and I use it to get by...

Support The Epilepsy Awareness Foundation!
    Posted 7 years ago #
  26. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@rigmedic, if you ever want to let that Sam Martin go, you call me first, damn that is nice.

I have some means but not enough to buy that ugly pipe, $3500, no way.

I would say $500 would be my limit unless it was a coveted item, but maybe $800 is the top for OMG I have to have it.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 7 years ago #
  27. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just because someone spends more money on pipes than you do is no reason to call them an "idiot". Doing so makes you seem childish.

Every hobby (cars, wine, watches, pens, fishing rods, guns) has its high end. This is ours.

Posted 7 years ago #
  28. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Here you go.....This person has a price of $ 100,000.00 on this pipe on Ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bruyerl-Garantie-Pipe-/150754284800?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2319a7d500

Posted 7 years ago #
  29. mp31guitar

mp31guitar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The most I've spent is $150 for my Stanwell 2010 Pipe of the Year. I can't see spending much more than that.

Posted 7 years ago #
  30. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hobie:
    That pipe looks to be of very mediocre quality, and it needs a good restoration.
    But, I wouldn't think it is worth more than $10 or $15.

Posted 7 years ago #
  31. hanymamdouh

hanymamdouh

Login to Send PM

My limit is 350$, only to control my hunger of collecting pipes. I've just got two new pipes, one for me and other for dad, mine is Perterson's SH Baker Street (bulldog), and dad's is Peterson's Return of SH Le Strade (the giant bowl), both are hallmarked. My next one will be Peterson's Darwin Collection Delux

Give me a pipe, a pitbull dog, and a book...then leave me in an island for ever...!
    Posted 7 years ago #
  32. sirsmokesalot

sirsmokesalot

Login to Send PM

I guess like anything else in life...If you can afford it and you want it, you'll buy it.
    I'm sure a pipe like that won't smoke any better then a $200 one will...But you really aren't
    paying for the pipe I guess, but the name and the prestige of owning it that goes with it.
    As for me....I won't spend over $200 because I've seen some really nice pipes for less!
    I rarely spend over $150 to be honest.

"Time is just a stream I go a fishin' in".....Henry David Thoreau
    Posted 7 years ago #
  33. sirsmokesalot

sirsmokesalot

Login to Send PM

@rigmedic1....That Peterson Plato you own Is Sweet! I might have to look at one of those.
    I feel PAD closing in on me!

Posted 7 years ago #
  34. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 to bigvan

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 7 years ago #
  35. seakayak

seakayak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The most expensive pipe in my stable is a Ser Jacobo that set me back $150. I'd be willing to go higher for the right piece; maybe to $350 or so, but that's pretty much my limit.

Posted 7 years ago #
  36. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess the most expensive pipe I have is a Caminetto I paid around $130 for back in the late '70's. I'm not sure what the would translate to in today's dollars, but if I had the money to blow, this is one I would be glad to drop the bucks on:

It's a Castello Preziosa, and is around $900.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  37. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did some checking, Mark, and $130 in 1978 is about the same as $430 right now.

Posted 7 years ago #
  38. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, thanks Bigvan, that's a lot of money! I thought it was kinda expensive back then, but I did get an employee discount, and working 3 jobs at that time, so it wasn't too bad. I couldn't afford it today though.

Posted 7 years ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobby46

Probably Older Than You

Login to Send PM

There are (and always will be) two camps here: the pipe smokers, and pipe collectors. If you pay significantly more for your pipes (or any other object) than its intrinsic value, face it; you are a collector.

Posted 7 years ago #
  40. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I must be a collector then. 60 plus pipes, and I have overpayed for a couple of those. But I am a cheapskate at heart, heh heh. Most of my pipes are refurbs that I picked up on the cheap. I had bought the Sam Martin in '86 on a layaway plan at the Tinderbox in Metairie. That high dollar Pete Plato was a deal I could not pass up. Sometimes there will be pipes that you just have to have, much like anything else. I remember when I thought I'd never pay more than $25.00 for a pipe too, lol.

Posted 7 years ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

martin

Login to Send PM

Ebay is a bad place. I just weakened and payed $150 for this Mario Grandi giant.
    I simply had to have it !! Unsmoked too.

Can't wait to give it a try.

Posted 7 years ago #
  42. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll echo some previous sentiments, and add that class warfare looks really ugly, not to mention downright silly in a pipe and tobacco forum.

Can't afford a 300, 700 or 1200 dollar pipe? Wouldn't buy one if you could? Okay. But, the last time I checked, I didn't hear anyone being called an idiot, or similar for smoking PA in a cob. Why? The guys smoking the expensive tobacco in the expensive pipes don't really care what anybody buys or smokes.

These uber defensive reactions call to mind a recent thread having to do with capitalized letters.

Posted 7 years ago #
  43. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jpberg,

Well said!

Posted 7 years ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

flipflopsandshades

Login to Send PM

Every single one of my pipes is under $100 and I wear that with a badge of honor. Most of my pipes are actually in the $60-$80 range and they are all great for me. Even if I were a multi-billionaire I wouldn't spend more than $300 on a pipe, and then I probably wouldn't smoke it which defeats the purpose.

*****One caveat: if I could find a birthyear Dunhill (1969) I might be tempted to shell out the money if I had it.

Posted 7 years ago #
  45. briarbird

briarbird

Login to Send PM

It is an amazing pipe, and you can't deny that S. Bang had built a reputation for quality work and craftmanship. I guess I also can't blame the seller for listing it this high because of the reputation and beauty of the pipe. With that being said, wow, that's pretty freaking expensive.

Posted 7 years ago #
  46. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That horn shape doesn't really please my eye much. Definately not enough to warrant a $3,500 price tag. I don't care how well it smokes I just don't like the shape, though it does have nice grain on it. I probably wouldn't spend that much on a single pipe anyways. I could see putting that much money into a nice seven day set or limited edition collection, but not on one pipe. I'd probably max myself out at around $400 for an individual pipe.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  47. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Martin, that's one fine looking bowl! Congratulations!

Posted 7 years ago #
  48. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

Not sure I have thought about a limit to what I would spend; however, I have yet to see a pipe for more than $250 that I thought was actually worth it. I have simple tastes when it comes to pipes, and although I have gotten into the $200 range beyond that I just don't get it. 3 of my best smokers were all obtained for less than $50 which to me proves that price is meaningless in and of itself.

I have my eye on a $500 Dunhill that I can buy new at cost. For $250 I might buy it just to see what all the rage is about, but then I think about a Tinsky that to me looks like a better quality pipe that I can get for $180.

When I think about all the pipes I have it makes me want to quit buying pipes so I can continue buying guns.

Posted 7 years ago #
  49. mluyckx

BelgianTex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is always a personal preference. As long as you can answer both questions "Is the pipe worth the money and do I have the reserve to spend it" with an astounding "Yes", then it's worth it.

This applies to cars, music, books, electronics, pipes, whatever you purchase. For some a BMW or Mercedes is worth it, for some it's not.

Same goes for pipes. Personally.. I have not spend more than $200 on a pipe. Will I ever ? Perhaps. But not yet. I'm too much of a newbie to be able to determine whether they smoke all that much better. But if the right one comes around and I have the available cash that day, perhaps.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 7 years ago #
  50. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

This applies to cars, music, books, electronics, pipes, whatever you purchase. For some a BMW or Mercedes is worth it, for some it's not.

At least with cars a BMW is distinguishable from the qualities of a Ford Taurus. I have held $600 Dunhills in my hand (several), and they do not appear to have any finer qualities than many Petersons or Savienllis. In fact these Dunhills next to a Savinelli New Art appear to be inferior.

With cars you pay for a name to an extent. With a lot of handmade pipes out there you are paying for name only after a certain point. Maybe I am off base. I'm sure someone will say so; however, the smoking differences and often the workmanship of sub $250 pipes are easily as good or better than pipes costing $600 or more.

I also have a hard time believing the quality of the briar can be that much better. How would you prove it? Please keep in mind I am not claiming that Grabows are as good as every other pipe. Only that after somewhere around $200 the differences start becoming highly subjective. You are definitely not getting the increase in quality dollar for dollar that you get when you go from $40 to $250 once you go from $250 - $3500.

How much did the chunk of briar cost that was used to craft a $3500 pipe? The stem material? Just sayin....

Posted 7 years ago #
  51. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Buy what ya like,smoke what ya like.Don't matter if its a MMcob,or a high end.To each his own...

"the weez"...
    Posted 7 years ago #
  52. mluyckx

BelgianTex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's a follow-up question.

Who would spend $180 per pipe to get a collectible pipe set ? For instance the Great Explorers, Molly Malone or Mark Twain set from Peterson. Or perhaps a Night and Day set from Savinelli ? And if you got the set, would you just leave it for collecting or actually smoke it ?

Posted 7 years ago #
  53. bailey331

bailey331

Login to Send PM

The most I have spent on a pipe was $100 and that was on ebay for a set of 11 estate pipes. Looking them over and doing some research I found two of them are worth a $100 apiece. At least I hope. They are due in the mail today. We will see. $3500 would find me without a wife and on the street. Not worth the trouble.

Posted 7 years ago #
  54. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's middle ground to be had here.

To some, a pipe is more than a smoking tool. It is art. And the sky is the limit with art. Whether they smoke it or not is none of your business. In a bidding war, those who have more will win.

I'm not a collector as of yet, but I can see myself in the future buying a pipe and not touching it because it is so wonderful to look at and I want to keep it in prestine condition forever.

But the current pipe in question, does not meet any visual standards of mine. But obviously it tickled someone elses fancy.

Smoke a bowl and forget about it.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

well we all have opinions i geuss. i have 2 pipes that sold for ~ 300 dollars back in 2000. both are great smokers. however i have found ebay offers some very nice pipes @ a good price(bidding), of course. you can get high end pipes for middle of the road prices, if you are willing too do some work. i do not think i will ever purchase a pipe again for $300.00 dollars as long as ebay is around.just my 2 cents worth here. to each his own.

take care.

mike.

Posted 7 years ago #
  56. rafterman

rafterman

Login to Send PM

The reason for which people own pipes varies, as this forum very well demostrates. Personally speaking, a pipe, to me, is a vessel, which I need, to smoke tobacco and ingest nicotine. Plainly said, for this fella, its a tool.

Now, in keeping with the tool theme, anyone who's ever stepped foot into Home Depot knows that there are always 3 to 4 different price points for a given tool. These price points typically reflect the quality of a tool (but not always). When I buy a tool, I typically go middle of the road. I never get the cheapest, but I never get the most expensive. If I made my living from swingin' a hammer, I would probablly buy the best one available. Being as I don't, the value isn't there for me to purchase the most expensive tool.

I use the same philosiphy when buying a pipe. I want a decent peice of briar, at a decent price point. I don't do anything other than smoke em and run a pipe cleaner through them from time to time. I don't abuse em, but I don't baby them.

All this said, most of my pipes are Petersons and Stanwells of the Canadian type shape. Typically in the $80 to $100 range. Once a pipe's price starts running north of $150 I typical stop looking at is as an option to purchase.

I'd like to add also, some of my best smokes have come from a $6 corn cob too.

"There are no great men, only great challenges that ordinary men are forced by circumstances to meet."
    -FADM William "Bull" Halsey Jr.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  57. tgwilt

tgwilt

Login to Send PM

I have spent as much as $1500 on a pipe. Extravagant? You bet. Why? There was a special sale at Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint Michigan. Buy one at regular price, get a 2nd of equal or lesser value for 99 cents. So, I picked up two Dunhill models, both over $1400 or $1500.99.

Also, I'm a widower and the pipes (and dogs) help alleviate the loneliness. Smoking a pipe is a very spiritual experience for me. Overall, I've been very blessed in life.

Other pipes - $800 for a Tsuge and $770 for a Tyler Lane.

Most of my pipes fall into the $150 or so range.

Posted 7 years ago #
  58. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mick, regarding your follow up question; would I spend $180 on a collectible set? It depends on if I really liked the shape(s).

The problem with standard shapes (even "limited editions") is that the shape comes first, and the grain of the wood is an afterthought. I much prefer freehand shapes by North American carvers; shapes that follow the grain, not the other way around.

Just my opinion.

Posted 7 years ago #
  59. colorduke

colorduke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am very happy smoking all my $20.00 grabows & $5.00 mm cobs.

I will give up my pipe when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
    Posted 7 years ago #
  60. wbradk

wbradk

Login to Send PM

I like to get old classics on Ebay and have them refurbished. A few years ago I picked up a 1906 Peterson bulldog for about twenty bucks. After I had it cleaned up it was better than new--near new but with some character. Anybody who spends $3500 on a pipe is crazy.

Posted 7 years ago #
  61. whitebriar

whitebriar

Login to Send PM

[quote]I am very happy smoking all my $20.00 grabows & $5.00 mm cobs.

Agreed!!

cobs, old briars, and burley
    Posted 7 years ago #
  62. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

My best smoker is ungly, unfinished and has many fills. I do like cool looking pipes though, and have way too many. i do have to confess that if i added it all up, I have probably surpassed the 3500 mark a long time ago.

Posted 7 years ago #
  63. terry

terry

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well..I've heard it put this way..."There's an ass for every seat"

Posted 7 years ago #
  64. recoilrob

recoilrob

Login to Send PM

The most I ever spent on a pipe was $1000, a Claudio Cavicchi Diamanti. Very large, perfect straight grain with a Lucite stem for smoking and a real amber stem for looks. The excuse I used to justify it was I would smoke it on the day I got married. At the time it was a possibility. That was 15 years ago and it's still unsmoked.

OTOH the most I have sold a pipe for was a Dunhill Magnum, got it in a bag of pipes, I figure I paid about $75 for it and it went on eBay for $4500. That was the height of the craze about 10 years ago.

Look at the prices 50g tins of hand blended tobaccos from the now closed London Dunhill tobacco store are going for, $100+. A tin of Sullivan Powell Gentlemen's Mixture hit $150. You all know about older Balkan Sobranie. Some can afford to smoke this stuff, others invest.

It's all relative.

"Lady Bracknell: ...Do you smoke?
    Ernest: Well, yes I must admit I smoke.
    Lady Bracknell: I am glad to hear it. A man should always have an occupation of some kind."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  65. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My most expensive pipe is a Cristiano bent I paid $90 for. It really does make the smoke sweeter. The rest $50-75, though I really enjoy my $5 MM cob. How much would I pay? I say $300, because that's what the least expensive Dunhills go for. Group 1, Shell Briar. I'm a Brit, I have to own a Dunhill before I'm done. Not doing so would not be proper. [disdainful sniff]

Posted 7 years ago #
  66. tgwilt

tgwilt

Login to Send PM

Well one of the reasons I like the higher end (greater than $200) is the intrinsic artistry of the pipemake and the beauty of the pipe. I realize we are all different, and it really doesn't matter who smokes which pipe and how much they paid for it.

The point of the passion is to have fun and to enjoy it to the fullest. If some people enjoy super expensive pipes, I say good on them! If some enjoy a smoke in a $5 MM, good on them, too!

There are way too few of us to worry about this little thing.

Enjoy the pipe you have and you'll never want.

-tom

Posted 7 years ago #
  67. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One funny thing about pipes that I have found as I have learned more and started buying, restoring, and selling pipes is that most non pipe smokers have no clue about pipes. They think that a pipe, any pipe is a valuable object and thus worth selling. I've seen many broken, burnt out, chipped, chewed through pipes for sale for unbelievable prices, just because its a pipe. Actually funny story...I once bought a Bjarne freehand for 45.00 huge pipe, glorious grain, at an antique store, on the shef next to it was an old worn out corn cob pipe priced 75.00, it was a Missouri Meerschaum, which is not meerschaum, people don't seem to be able to distinguish this either. Anyway I saw the 100,000 dollor pipe that is worth 10-15 bucks that is a perfect example. The S.Bang pipe is gorgeous, but I still wouldn't pay 3000 dollars for it. 200 or less is my current financially qualified limit and to be honest if you look, you can find some very nice pipe makers, many even on this site that could make you a pipe just as nice, within a reasonable price range. I appreciate the art of pipe making, heck I love it, and I love pipes and want my pipe making friends to make a fair wage, but as a future pipe maker I will also want people to be able to afford what I make and will probably give away as many pipes as I sell. What good is a pipe that sits on a shelf never smoked, it is just a hunk of wood, perhaps a beautiful hunk of wood mind, but until it is stuffed and lit, smoked and enjoyed it is just wood, when the embers catch and the smoke flows then it becomes a pipe, a glorious treasure whether it was 3 or 3000.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  68. wolfscout

wolfscout

Login to Send PM

I am very happy smoking all my $20.00 grabows & $5.00 mm cobs.

ditto. I've not spent over $30 for any pipe I own. I see no reason to do so.
    I like the history and character you can find with some estate pipes. I plan to use each and every one that enters my home.
    I'm not a materialistic person. I do like what I like and ensure I have enough options to make do.
    Shrugs. Class warfare is everywhere anymore ...

Posted 7 years ago #
  69. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I am having a custom pipe made and its costing about 190 dollars. Which is expensive enough since its being made specifically to my specifications, i wouldnt pay much for an 'off the rack' pipe unless it really stood out. But i favour churchwardens and dont see that many great ones about so custom was the only way to go!

Posted 7 years ago #
  70. cajunguy

Cajunguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of the pipes are estate finds that I've refurbished by hand, which makes them more meaningful to me. Would I spend a disgusting amount on a pipe? Not likely... unless it was from a particular maker. I love Paolo Becker pipes. I've never had the good fortune to smoke one, but something about their look and his approach to crafting pipes calls to me. Supposedly, he also does pipes by design.

One day, if I have the extra money, that would be the one pipe on which I'd spend a minor fortune.

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black." - Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap
    Posted 7 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   craig61a, odobenus, disinformatique, condorlover1