Not open for further replies.

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Well..I've heard it put this way..."There's an ass for every seat"

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
The most I ever spent on a pipe was $1000, a Claudio Cavicchi Diamanti. Very large, perfect straight grain with a Lucite stem for smoking and a real amber stem for looks. The excuse I used to justify it was I would smoke it on the day I got married. At the time it was a possibility. That was 15 years ago and it's still unsmoked. 8)
OTOH the most I have sold a pipe for was a Dunhill Magnum, got it in a bag of pipes, I figure I paid about $75 for it and it went on eBay for $4500. That was the height of the craze about 10 years ago.
Look at the prices 50g tins of hand blended tobaccos from the now closed London Dunhill tobacco store are going for, $100+. A tin of Sullivan Powell Gentlemen's Mixture hit $150. You all know about older Balkan Sobranie. Some can afford to smoke this stuff, others invest.
It's all relative.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
My most expensive pipe is a Cristiano bent I paid $90 for. It really does make the smoke sweeter. The rest $50-75, though I really enjoy my $5 MM cob. How much would I pay? I say $300, because that's what the least expensive Dunhills go for. Group 1, Shell Briar. I'm a Brit, I have to own a Dunhill before I'm done. Not doing so would not be proper. [disdainful sniff]

tgwilt

Lurker
Feb 11, 2012
Well one of the reasons I like the higher end (greater than $200) is the intrinsic artistry of the pipemake and the beauty of the pipe. I realize we are all different, and it really doesn't matter who smokes which pipe and how much they paid for it.
The point of the passion is to have fun and to enjoy it to the fullest. If some people enjoy super expensive pipes, I say good on them! If some enjoy a smoke in a $5 MM, good on them, too!
There are way too few of us to worry about this little thing.
Enjoy the pipe you have and you'll never want.
-tom

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
One funny thing about pipes that I have found as I have learned more and started buying, restoring, and selling pipes is that most non pipe smokers have no clue about pipes. They think that a pipe, any pipe is a valuable object and thus worth selling. I've seen many broken, burnt out, chipped, chewed through pipes for sale for unbelievable prices, just because its a pipe. Actually funny story...I once bought a Bjarne freehand for 45.00 huge pipe, glorious grain, at an antique store, on the shef next to it was an old worn out corn cob pipe priced 75.00, it was a Missouri Meerschaum, which is not meerschaum, people don't seem to be able to distinguish this either. Anyway I saw the 100,000 dollor pipe that is worth 10-15 bucks that is a perfect example. The S.Bang pipe is gorgeous, but I still wouldn't pay 3000 dollars for it. 200 or less is my current financially qualified limit and to be honest if you look, you can find some very nice pipe makers, many even on this site that could make you a pipe just as nice, within a reasonable price range. I appreciate the art of pipe making, heck I love it, and I love pipes and want my pipe making friends to make a fair wage, but as a future pipe maker I will also want people to be able to afford what I make and will probably give away as many pipes as I sell. What good is a pipe that sits on a shelf never smoked, it is just a hunk of wood, perhaps a beautiful hunk of wood mind, but until it is stuffed and lit, smoked and enjoyed it is just wood, when the embers catch and the smoke flows then it becomes a pipe, a glorious treasure whether it was 3 or 3000.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I am very happy smoking all my $20.00 grabows & $5.00 mm cobs.

ditto. I've not spent over $30 for any pipe I own. I see no reason to do so.

I like the history and character you can find with some estate pipes. I plan to use each and every one that enters my home.

I'm not a materialistic person. I do like what I like and ensure I have enough options to make do.

Shrugs. Class warfare is everywhere anymore ...

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Most of the pipes are estate finds that I've refurbished by hand, which makes them more meaningful to me. Would I spend a disgusting amount on a pipe? Not likely... unless it was from a particular maker. I love Paolo Becker pipes. I've never had the good fortune to smoke one, but something about their look and his approach to crafting pipes calls to me. Supposedly, he also does pipes by design.
One day, if I have the extra money, that would be the one pipe on which I'd spend a minor fortune.

mikemacrdlnds

Dec 21, 2011
I paid $100 for a Castello full bent Sea Rock shape 93 in 1996 at a Dunhill Store in Dubi,UAE during their annual Shop till you Drop week. But I went crazy and bought a Nording Straight grain Freehand for $110 the next year at the same place. I would never pay full price for these pipes today. Every thing else is estate buys, an yes, the estates smoke as good. It just these are gorgeous pipes and outstanding smokers.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I have pipes that literally cost .25 cents new, and I have a pipe that cost $2500 new, and neither one says anything about me other than I really like pipes.

I find it interesting that some guys base a strangers status on a one time purchase of a $3500 luxury item. It has nothing to do with class, it has everything to do with how much you want a high grade unsmoked S. Bang.

Theres nothing wrong with a $3 cob, a $30 Grabow, a $300 Becker or a $3,000 Ulf Noltensmeier.

I dont talk smack, because they all do what they're supposed to do; burn tobacco.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
rigmedic that bent Pete is a beaut
Just because someone spends more money on pipes than you do is no reason to call them an "idiot". Doing so makes you seem childish.
Every hobby (cars, wine, watches, pens, fishing rods, guns) has its high end. This is ours.
Yep, if you can afford a $3500 pipe, you're obviously doing something right.

saint

Lurker
Feb 13, 2011
Just paid a little over $300.00 for a Mark Tinsky. But because of the tine,effort,the type and age of the brier used, I feel I will be enjoying this pipe long after my memory of the price has faded.

heraclitian

Lurker
Mar 3, 2012
Hi all,

the guy, who has bought that 3500$ S. Bang, would be a CEO of a big company (or someone like that) and has 10.000 employees, among them you may are one. I just can't imagine what would you are, if he would be an idiot.

I know some "idiot" who has payed 50 millions dollars for a sculpture which could be produced in series, not something like Picasso's or Dali's paintings.

I guess some of you have never owned a 1000$+ S. Bang. From my experiences they're worth the money. With lucks you could find a 10$ pipe which smokes just as good as a 1000$+ S. Bang. But there are big differences between them. It's somewhat as if you have sex the first time with a beautiful and fine girl, just not the same experience as if you have sex with a normal girl, although in both cases you'd have orgasm.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I would not pay big bucks simply because I don't have it. The lottery could change everything. What I do have to work on is my continued maturity to keep my reaction to the sight of grandiose pipes as admiration and not envy.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I paid 100 dollars even for a tim hynick pot, its a great pipe. I would really like a new dunhill though, I have a friend (who IS english) who says that dunhills really are the best, he swears that he can tell the difference. I trust what he says, but I am still a bit skeptical, I would love to have one if not just for the stigma

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
The person that buys that pipe. Is an idiot. Absolute. End of story. Bottom line, idiot.
Yessirbobgeewillickers, that thar wood be a fool of a people to be spendin that kinda moneys on a pipe!
You know, some of dem rich fools be spending millions of bucks on 200 year old paintings when for jus 100 bucks you culd get yersef a hole mess of paints, crayons and paper and makes lots of awful nice pitures fer yousef! ejots! And dont get me started on thos silly bass terds who buy special paper to wipe they butts when corn husks grows fer free!

heraclitian

Lurker
Mar 3, 2012
@flyfishn I'm sorry but I only see a big big envy.

For me, something is worth an particular amount of money if owning it makes me feel happier.

That's the point.
I know many pieces of wood with NO hole drilled into it were sold for 100 times of that amount. :D You see, at least the pipe has 2 holes more!
---------

PS: Do you know how expensive a bread is, a cup of coffee is, an iPhone is, a Mercedes is! Their retails are all unbelievable expensive, in comparison with their material costs and their relative complexities. You are paying for things 10 times, 100 times more than their "true" values everyday.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I am only new to pipe smoking and so far have only bought 4 corn cobs, 3 gentleman and 1 missouri pride. Would like to get a nicer pipe, maybe a churchwarden but need to find the right one online, pipes in the only pipe tobacconist in my city cost minimum $100 each.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I'm going to go-out-on-a-limb and guess that our current opinions will change over the coming years. I believe this (albeit much longer) thread will still be here to verify that.

Status
Not open for further replies.