PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
I had a bit of spare cash this week so I decided to have a bit of look on ebay for pipes.

Found this little gem and my jaw dropped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-Bang-Top-Line-Signature-Grade-Cross-Grain-Horn-Pipe-2010-Unsmoked-/270906133991?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f13438de7

Anybody here bidding on that pipe?
I know everybody has a different budget but seriously, how much would you pay for a pipe?
A few hundred dollars would be my limit, means I can get more later or buy more tobacco!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
$3,500 would be some very nice tools and a bushel of briar and a huge pile of stem material. By the time I completed using this stash, I would have all the pipes I could ever want and also have the skills to make some serious hobby money.
Or I could buy a handful of pipes and a couple pounds of tobacco, the quilting machine my wife wants, lots of other items that the kids wants and still have some money set aside for emergencies.
Winton

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Some people make that kind of money before lunch...it's all relative to a person's income. My highest dollar pipe has been 250.00 so far.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Agreed with Hobie1dog, I simply could not afford to drop that kind of money on a pipe. For some that is play money, for me that is about 3,000 dollars more than I would ever spend on a pipe. Not saying that the pipe is not worth it, as the market clearly shows, I just cannot afford it.

frank

Lurker
Oct 17, 2011
I agree with hobie1dog. It would be a stupid purchase for most of us, because most of us don't have that kind of discretionary income, but for others it would be like buying a cup of coffee.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Three hundred bucks and high on pain killers and scotch at the time if I remember right .Lots of sub hundred dollar pipes to not brag about . They all smoke just fine .I am not cheap Iam frugal .

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I'm with hobie1dog as well. Where I'm at now, I wouldn't pay much more then $100 for a pipe. But then again I work at McDonalds. If I was a CEO of some multimillion dollar company, then I'd spend any amount on a pipe

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
My pipes cost between one hundred and three hundred dollars.They are many years old.I probably couldn't afford to buy some of them at today's prices.

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
If something is old, unsmoked and collectable then maybe paying above the odds is worthwhile.
Imagine if after paying 3-5 grand on that pipe it didn't even smoke well!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Imagine if after paying 3-5 grand on that pipe it didn't even smoke well!
In this price range, every microscopic detail is accounted for.

Thats really what you buy with a pipe like this. Its a gaurantee that what you get is one of the finest pipes money can buy. You dont have to spend that much to get a great pipe, but if you do you can expect the best there is.

smooth

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2012
That pipe won't be bought to smoke. It will be bought with a higher priced sell down the road.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have a couple that I spent just over $350 on, over ten years ago.

I also spent about $7.50 for one of my favorites.

But, over-all I would have to say that mostly mine are in the $100 to $150 range.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I wouldn't pay this for a pipe. I understand that there are some who can pay for it and that it is very finely made, but I don't think that you can find a piece of briar that its worth that price. It is just and inflated beyond any real worth. My limit would be about $300 I think that this is about as fine of a pipe I would ever need.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Well, it's an S. Bang pipe. One of the biggies, they are right up there with the Ivarssons, Knudsens, Chonowitsch and Nordh. Like a Patek Philippe watch, John Lobb shoes or a Kiton suit, it is pricey, but the best is never cheap.
I've dropped over $1K on a pipe before, but these days with a wife and kids most of them are between $300-$800. I don't have many artisan pipes; really like Dunhills, though.
I know some of Bo Nordh's and Teddy Knudsen's pipes have eclipsed $15K, but I think the most I'd pay is about $3K. And yes, it would be smoked; why else have it?

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Realistically I would probably only pay $200 tops for a pipe. I haven't hit that benchmark yet and I don't plan on it anytime soon. I mostly acquire my pipes on eBay in lots. I then restore the other pipes and sell them so in a way I actually end up getting paid to keep the pipe I wanted all along. :mrgreen:

Jul 15, 2011
I think that my most expensive pipe ran me about $40, and that was a Wellington brand new. In all honesty, it was the best $40 I have ever spend on a pipe. My money goes more towards tobaccos, but with a little frugality and thrifty spending, I have acquired 40 or so pipes in a short time that both look great and smoke fantastic. I think this really all depends on what you look for in a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.