Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Help Me Find A New Christmas Aromatic

(32 posts)
  1. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hello, my name is Pat, and I am an unabashed Christmas Aromatic pipe tobacco smoker. At Christmas.

For the last few years I've been smoking Glynn's delightful Christmas Blends from GQ Tobacco. That's not an option this year and I'm allergic to goopy, PG laden, syrupy, flavour heavy aromatics.

So I come to you for edumication. Can you help point me in the direction of my next Christmas Aro?

Thanks in advance.

-- Pat

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

https://m.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=204292

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Goopy PG laden aros are one problem. Also, some of the flavoring that give aro blends that Christmas room note can really do a number on your tongue and gums. I'd say, buy in small quantities unless you know the blend already. I think I'd trust C&D about as well as any blender; I think they'd keep it tobacco forward and rein in the flavorings. I'll stick to other favorite blends for the holidays. A good hearty English non-aro does the job for me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. bryguysc

bryguysc

Login to Send PM

McClelland Holiday Spirit is my "go to" Christmas aro.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. jndyer

jndyer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 for Corn Cob Pipe and a Button nose. I have a tin waiting to be smoked on Christmas morning as presents are being opened. Well actually, a tin minus a couple of bowls as I had to make sure I had the packing down so that I would not ruin a perfectly good morning with the family (he said in jest).

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like holiday spirit, but since you are not looking for PG laden, syrupy, pass on Holiday spirit, this stuff falls right in that category.

I did get some Peterson Christmas blend in 2012 I think. It tasted like spiced cider, I dig it out every few months and it hasn't lost its flavor and it is not a gooper.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimbiker

Login to Send PM

Samuel Gawith Palace Gate?

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the recommendations gang.

@chasing & @jndyer - What do you guys like about this blend? What is the flavour profile? How does it smoke?

@ben88 - Not exactly what I was thinking of, but I do have a Meer that would burn Erinmore like a champ. Thanks for the reco as it's a direction I wasn't even contemplating.

@snagstangl - That sounds like the flavour direction I'd like to roll in. Something spicy but not sweet.

Does anyone have any experience with C&Ds We Three Kings?

Cheers,

-- Pat

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Corn Cob Pipe is a winner, Pat. It's got undertones of chocolate and vanilla, and though they don't mention it, there is some sort of subtle berry flavor there.

It's a great aro. Not goopy and full of flavor, it even has a decent bit of strength under all that Christmasy deliciousness.

"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."

- Bob Runowski
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipeworks&wilke Rumcake is very nice. I temper the sauce by mixing it with McClelland Virginia 25. Adds a bit of body. Of course Carol Burns is leaving the business. I opened a ton of C&D Golden Days of Yore (2015). Very easy smoking aromatic so far. My all time favorite though is Hermit Holiday 2008 and Gawirh&Hoggarth Christmas 2007.

Mike S.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

snag' liked the Peterson Christmas blend in 2013. I think I had some in 2012, and it was pretty harsh. But people experience these blends differently. I think I get bite (burn) from the flavorings, so maybe that's my individual sensitivity. Funny because full-strength non-aromatic blends or leaf doesn't give me any problems. Different strokes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not technically a Christmas Blend, but I'm enjoying a tin of Rattray's Exotic Orange I bought last summer. It tastes of orange and honey.
    I also like Rattray's Winter Edition 2014 and the Peterson's Christmas Blend 2015.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

Old thread, but it’s that time year again.

Hmmm . . it’s interesting how different people experience a blend. I bought a couple tins of a Corncob Pipe & a Button Nose last year. Great Christmas spirit tin note - like hot cocoa with marshmallows. But, to me, it was like smoking air. Very little flavor. I smoked a couple bowls & jarred the rest of the opened tin. I’ll try it again this season.

I don’t smoke a lot of aros. I lean more toward strong nic, full flavor blends. But, it sounds like this blend has its fans. I could always trade it for something more in my personal wheelhouse.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 7 months ago #
  15. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just tried C&D Jolly Old St. Nicholas last night. Not a great first bowl but thinking it will get better. Strong aro tin note but definitely not a strong aro flavor once lit and does not overwhelm the tobacco. Overall a decent experience and looking forward to a few more bowls but thinking one tin and done.

It did kinda put me in the Christmas spirit though.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 7 months ago #
  16. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1965/samuel-gawith-firedance-flake

I find it a bit too "blackberry" and thin it down with SG Best Brown Flake. IMO, it' pretty heavily cased but pure quality leaf like all of SG toabacco.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  17. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

Great Dane from Missouri Meerschaum...perhaps the best aro out there in my opinion. It's rarely in stock because each batch goes so quickly, but I just saw it at smokingpipes...you'd better hurry because it won't last long.

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest”
    Adam Smith
    Posted 7 months ago #
  18. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I smoked a bowl of Scotty's Blend Egg Nog last night. It was a nice REALLY MILD smoke. I'll finish it off but probably won't buy again.

Posted 7 months ago #
  19. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As for aros, check out Boswell Pipes. Non-goop, just plain good aros without ripping your tongue out. Look up Boswell Pipes on Tobaccoreviews.com and look at the 4 stars their aros get.

And, folks, I'm not an aro guy, but the Boswells have sold me. They are good and I just don't detect any PG stuff in J.M.'s tobacco. He is a first-class pipe maker, and tobacco blender.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 7 months ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still have some Peretti's Thanksgiving Day with the same holiday theme, nicely balanced and tobacco forward. That might still do it for a holiday aromatic.

Posted 7 months ago #
  21. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

John Aylesbury Holiday Blend. Light and fragrant. If you can find it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  22. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Country Squire's Figgy Pudding is really really good.

I also have Sutliff's Christmas Spice, but that is a pretty heavily cased blend, which sounds like something you're trying to shy away from.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 7 months ago #
  23. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I am not mistaken, GQ does have a Christmas blend again this year.

Posted 7 months ago #
  24. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&Ds Christmas Release this year is not close to being goopy and is a dryish Aro with a nice room note that is made with decent leaf: Jolly Old St. Nicholas.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 7 months ago #
  25. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dig out the big ol' can of Captain Black White around Christmas time ... but since that's been disqualified by the first post, I'll toss a couple out there that aren't Christmas blends, but can serve as such.

C&D Gentleman Caller. Had to put this one out there. Very familiar, sweet, desserty flavor and aroma. Despite the presence of deertongue, very tobacco forward and satisfying nostalgia inducement.

Warhorse Green. Nothing Christmas about this? Heck, this tasty nic-bomb is very Christmas Spice/pumpkin donuts inflected to me, with a surprisingly familiar, pleasant room note. (This one's been a huge game changer to me in recent months; I love the stuff!)

Posted 7 months ago #
  26. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been enjoying Milan Tonacconist's Christmas Blend. It's a very nice aromatic.

"Cinnamon, spice, and everything nice describes this special blend Milan's elves created to celebrate the season and it's back by very popular demand. Virginia, Burley, and Cavendish tobaccos come together to create a wonderful taste of spice, nutmeg, rum, and cranberries. This is the perfect blend for everyone to enjoy during the holiday season, including any nonsmokers in the vicinity! Christmas Blend is available through December 31, 2018."

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 7 months ago #
  27. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

For the past couple of months I've been trying out different aros to see if I hate them all or not. I have to say that Country Squire Figgy Pudding is one of the best aromatics I've ever had. I was looking forward to "English Weather" but I think Figgy Pudding may very well be my new Christmas tradition...

Posted 7 months ago #
  28. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy Wessex Aromatic during the holidays. I’d give it a whirl if you can find it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  29. slowwideturns

slowwideturns

Login to Send PM

Iwan ries kings oriental

j.k. livin'... the j's for just the k's for keep
    Posted 7 months ago #
  30. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Park Lane Tobacconist blends a Christmas Cake that is pressed into cute little cakes. It is mostly Virginia and otherwise a "light" aromatic. I find the flavors stronger than light but it is pleasant to smoke, and definitely fits the bill. It is well loved to nonsmokers in the room.

Posted 7 months ago #
  31. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I tried Sutliff Pumpkin Spice the other day. I was not impressed with it. I also tried Scotty's Egg Nog. It is a very very mild smoke with a room note the wife loved.

Posted 7 months ago #
  32. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

If you like clove, like I do, I'd definitely second King's Oriental.

Otherwise, I like the LJ Peretti annual holiday offering.

Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulfg, gandalfspipe