PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hello, my name is Pat, and I am an unabashed Christmas Aromatic pipe tobacco smoker. At Christmas.
For the last few years I've been smoking Glynn's delightful Christmas Blends from GQ Tobacco. That's not an option this year and I'm allergic to goopy, PG laden, syrupy, flavour heavy aromatics.
So I come to you for edumication. Can you help point me in the direction of my next Christmas Aro?
Thanks in advance.
-- Pat

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
https://m.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=204292
003-016-0226.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Goopy PG laden aros are one problem. Also, some of the flavoring that give aro blends that Christmas room note can really do a number on your tongue and gums. I'd say, buy in small quantities unless you know the blend already. I think I'd trust C&D about as well as any blender; I think they'd keep it tobacco forward and rein in the flavorings. I'll stick to other favorite blends for the holidays. A good hearty English non-aro does the job for me.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
+1 for Corn Cob Pipe and a Button nose. I have a tin waiting to be smoked on Christmas morning as presents are being opened. Well actually, a tin minus a couple of bowls as I had to make sure I had the packing down so that I would not ruin a perfectly good morning with the family (he said in jest).

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I like holiday spirit, but since you are not looking for PG laden, syrupy, pass on Holiday spirit, this stuff falls right in that category.
I did get some Peterson Christmas blend in 2012 I think. It tasted like spiced cider, I dig it out every few months and it hasn't lost its flavor and it is not a gooper.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the recommendations gang.
@chasing & @jndyer - What do you guys like about this blend? What is the flavour profile? How does it smoke?
@ben88 - Not exactly what I was thinking of, but I do have a Meer that would burn Erinmore like a champ. Thanks for the reco as it's a direction I wasn't even contemplating.
@snagstangl - That sounds like the flavour direction I'd like to roll in. Something spicy but not sweet.
Does anyone have any experience with C&Ds We Three Kings?
Cheers,
-- Pat

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Corn Cob Pipe is a winner, Pat. It's got undertones of chocolate and vanilla, and though they don't mention it, there is some sort of subtle berry flavor there.
It's a great aro. Not goopy and full of flavor, it even has a decent bit of strength under all that Christmasy deliciousness.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Pipeworks&wilke Rumcake is very nice. I temper the sauce by mixing it with McClelland Virginia 25. Adds a bit of body. Of course Carol Burns is leaving the business. I opened a ton of C&D Golden Days of Yore (2015). Very easy smoking aromatic so far. My all time favorite though is Hermit Holiday 2008 and Gawirh&Hoggarth Christmas 2007.
Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
snag' liked the Peterson Christmas blend in 2013. I think I had some in 2012, and it was pretty harsh. But people experience these blends differently. I think I get bite (burn) from the flavorings, so maybe that's my individual sensitivity. Funny because full-strength non-aromatic blends or leaf doesn't give me any problems. Different strokes.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Not technically a Christmas Blend, but I'm enjoying a tin of Rattray's Exotic Orange I bought last summer. It tastes of orange and honey.

I also like Rattray's Winter Edition 2014 and the Peterson's Christmas Blend 2015.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Old thread, but it’s that time year again.
Hmmm . . it’s interesting how different people experience a blend. I bought a couple tins of a Corncob Pipe & a Button Nose last year. Great Christmas spirit tin note - like hot cocoa with marshmallows. But, to me, it was like smoking air. Very little flavor. I smoked a couple bowls & jarred the rest of the opened tin. I’ll try it again this season.
I don’t smoke a lot of aros. I lean more toward strong nic, full flavor blends. But, it sounds like this blend has its fans. I could always trade it for something more in my personal wheelhouse.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I just tried C&D Jolly Old St. Nicholas last night. Not a great first bowl but thinking it will get better. Strong aro tin note but definitely not a strong aro flavor once lit and does not overwhelm the tobacco. Overall a decent experience and looking forward to a few more bowls but thinking one tin and done.
It did kinda put me in the Christmas spirit though.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1965/samuel-gawith-firedance-flake
I find it a bit too "blackberry" and thin it down with SG Best Brown Flake. IMO, it' pretty heavily cased but pure quality leaf like all of SG toabacco.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Great Dane from Missouri Meerschaum...perhaps the best aro out there in my opinion. It's rarely in stock because each batch goes so quickly, but I just saw it at smokingpipes...you'd better hurry because it won't last long.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
As for aros, check out Boswell Pipes. Non-goop, just plain good aros without ripping your tongue out. Look up Boswell Pipes on Tobaccoreviews.com and look at the 4 stars their aros get.
And, folks, I'm not an aro guy, but the Boswells have sold me. They are good and I just don't detect any PG stuff in J.M.'s tobacco. He is a first-class pipe maker, and tobacco blender.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I still have some Peretti's Thanksgiving Day with the same holiday theme, nicely balanced and tobacco forward. That might still do it for a holiday aromatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.