Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Happy Easter - Would Jesus Have Smoked a Pipe?

(44 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by The Pipe Monk
  • Latest reply from puffndave
  1. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A little conversation from a Professional (A Catholic Pipe Smoking Priest, an Ex-Marine and a great friend)

The whimsical yet thought provoking question in this video is: "Do You think Jesus would have smoken a pipe?" This question is not meant to be a serious debate about the divinity of Christ, just a little closer look at His humanity.
    Happy Easter!

Video

Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

My local brick and mortar hosts a Tuesday night non-denominational bible study. I went recently, and it was 20 guys (including the owner)' smoking cigars and studying the book of Revelation. Considering that my pastor is anti smoking this was a unique experience. I plan on going as often as I can.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No I don't think Jesus would have smoked a pipe, just like I don't think he had sex.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesus did enjoy a little wine, included it in his Passover feast that was his Last Supper, and even transformed water into wine on one occasion for the wedding at Cana. Would he have had a pipe had that been available? It's difficult to say. Since he was, by much Christian doctrine, one of three parts of God, I think his behavior could be presumed to be unfathomable. We're not talking about just the Creator of this planet and its creatures and people, but of the whole infinite universe or universes, from subatomic to galaxies and beyond, basically much of which we are incapable of understanding, nibble at its edges though we do.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well said MSO. My response is this: He would have considered the question of tobacco use to be in the category of straining gnats.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not unless his birthday was much later than we are taught, he wouldn't. That is, if you are writing about tobacco pipe smoking as we do today.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. lohengrin

lohengrin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Surely who made this painting would say: yes

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

lotechjoe

Login to Send PM

Excellent question. I felt obligated to share this on my facebook page.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What Andy said

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If he did he would have been a Condor smoker whilst Pontius Pilate would;d have been a Mixture 79 type of guy and Peter might have been a St Bruno smoker!

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

God put tobacco on this planet. Just like grapes to be made into wine. I'm sure if it had been in the region he may have smoked it - as it would have been common for the jews in his area of the world to smoke. But it wasn't grown in the area. Now as to did they have tobacco in that time period in that part of the world. Lets look at the possiblity that through trade tobacco did in fact made its way to that area -
    http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/358318-curious-history-ancient-egyptians-may-have-traded-with-the-new-world/?photo=2

Mummys found with traces of nicotine and cocaine.
    Going further https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Columbian_trans-oceanic_contact_theories#Trans-oceanic_travel_originating_from_the_New_World

A re-examination in the 1970s of the mummy of Ramesses II revealed the presence of fragments of tobacco leaves in its abdomen. This became a popular topic in fringe literature and the media and was seen as proof of contact between Ancient Egypt and the New World. The investigator, Maurice Bucaille, noted that when the mummy was unwrapped in 1886 the abdomen was left open and that "it was no longer possible to attach any importance to the presence inside the abdominal cavity of whatever material was found there, since the material could have come from the surrounding environment."[117] Following the renewed discussion of tobacco sparked by Balabanova's research and its mention in a 2000 publication by Rosalie David, a study in the journal Antiquity suggested that reports of both tobacco and cocaine in mummies "ignored their post-excavation histories" and pointed out that the mummy of Ramesses II had been moved five times between 1883 and 1975.

Now I suspect trade of this kind with tobacco most likley did not make its way to the jewish slaves of eygpt. But they most likley knew about tobacco. I think there has been enough evidence scattered here and in central america and north america with types of buildings, and other archaeological similarities that we can reasonably assume some sort of contact between egypt and the new world.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I think the real question is, if pipe smoking had been available in Judea when Jesus was there, what would he have smoked in it?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

Jesus, as a carpenter, would have made pipes and probably smoked them. Probably wouldn't have smoked opium. Maybe hashish or ganga for medical purposes. Yes, hemp oil and it's smokable cousins have been famous for their curative properties for millennia. Since he was a Rabbi, he certainly had sex too. "Be fruitful and multiply." Probably had a beard. WAS JESUS A HIPSTER ??

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You know ... If he had, things might be quite different for us pipe smokers today.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

-(Unless Constantine the Great was anti-tobacco.)

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. fafnir

fafnir

Login to Send PM

I religiously attend church on hatchings, matchings and dispatching's, however the majority of my social circle are up and down jumping and hands a clapping pew fillers, all of them believe that drinking wine = Sin, that smoking = Sin and that the wages of Sin = Death. this is rather contradictory for me as the first recorded miracle of Jesus as has been mentioned before was to transform water into wine, and since I belong to a wine club I think this is kinda cool. One might even ask if Jesus was alive today would he watch TV, Play video games or eat organic food... As long as one does not harm anyone by smoking I fail to see what the issues can be. I believe that Mark Twain said that ''Heaven is going to be one hell of a place with all the hypocrites''

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Resurrecting the thread again. Loved the replies Gentlemen, would love more responses.

Chris

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesus did enjoy a little wine

I believe he stressed "everything in moderation", so to that I would say yes, he was a carpenter after all.

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Divinity of Christ? Well Jesus was Jewish, Right?

Jesus would never have said he was divine, if he was Jewish. You see, it's a sin to even say G-d is a he, much less to say G-d would become human. The Early fathers skipped out on Judiaism class when they formed the dogma Of the Church. The details....the details...anyway Jesus would have smoked a Balkan Blend.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WAS JESUS A HIPSTER ??
    Well he wore sandals...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well he wore sandals...

But were they Birkenstock?

Dot
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Resurrecting the thread again. Loved the replies Gentlemen, would love more responses.

Chris

I'm all for joking and kidding around but I find this topic disgraceful and disrespectful......that's my response.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Taking offense to a thread like this is probably the funniest thing in this thread ! ! I chuckled out loud!
    I came in here with the initial thought, Would Jesus smoke a pipe? . . . Who cares!

Well then I started reading, and apparently at least one chap does! The blissful irony in that is absolutely terrific! So thank you for that.

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Skydog Why? Wasnt Jesus a man? I'm sure he did all things we do. So explain to me why is it disgraceful and disrespectful. I am sure if Jesus is offended he will let me know. I am all ears for your rebuttal.

@clickklick ikr? LOL. Well anyone can get offended, thing is does anyone care? LOL

Chris

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

You're not offending me but you are offending the One who created you, me, this universe and everything in it. Go ahead and have your fun guys......you're the ones who'll have to answer for it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What about Buhda? Or Allah.? Are they the pipe smoking types?

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not touching that one!

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. badger

badger

Login to Send PM

I have this great pic I drew of Mohammed smoking a pipe, but I can't seem to get it to load...

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He played the guitar. He might well have smoked if tobacco had reached the mideast by his lifetime. Holy men in India were sometimes smokers.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If tobacco had been a common practice in Judea/Nazareth at that time, I imagine so. I would think that Jesus would have smoked whatever was the commonly available economy tobacco of the time (He came from a poor family, and doesn't seem like the type to spend money on luxuries). So, in my mind, Jesus smoked Carter Hall (an ancient version with oriental tobaccos)

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 2 years ago #
  32. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Marijuana use was fairly common in certain Jewish communities. Tobacco was in theory a new world gig at that time.

The Jesus that I know may or may not have smoked a pipe -- not my place to conjecture -- but my guess is that he would have defended the ability of people to enjoy things like tobacco.

When the anti-smoking bigots came around, he would have overturned their tables (and those of about 98.6% of the rest of society besides).

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  33. puffndave

puffndave

Login to Send PM

Skydog - I don't believe in any divine beings, and the historicity of a not-so-ordinary John or Joshua (I've seen both names attributed to the translation of the time to Greek, then Latin where it became "Iesus", and finally "Jesus") is somewhat dubious, but I'm not offended that others talk about him, as they believe he was. I am quite offended when people menace others with anti-blasphemy nonsense and idle threats of divine retribution, because they are too insecure to be tolerant of ideas which are different from their own.

Had Jesus really been what it's been said he was, it would be tragic that he was born too early to enjoy tobacco in his culture. Maybe he would have been too relaxed to get himself in all that trouble when he trashed the temple in Jerusalem. He may have even had some fun turning desert scrub-brush into fine tobacco.

Current favorite 'baccies:

Peterson Irish Oak, MacBaren Navy Flake, H&H Classic Burley Kake
    Posted 2 years ago #
  34. lohengrin

lohengrin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This thread started as an entertainment topic and developed in something different from the interest and spirit of this forum.
    Let's talk about what unites us, pipe smoking, not about what divide us.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@skydog LOL My father and my mother created me, you know, by having sex, not Jesus, he was celibate you know. After studying the bible for 10 years I can conclude that Emmanuel was a pretty chill guy than ALL the sensitive Christians these days , Now if Jesus threw me in hell for discussing if he liked a smoke or two, wont that make him a fickle God and not the compassionate God who gave himself up for the good of all humanity?

This was a fun thread to ponder things about someone I consider a cool God/Deity btw I'm a Christian myself but I don't believe in Jesus' divinity blindly. He was a man and I am discussing his humanity right now.

@foggymountain Lots of holy men in India are smokers, they smoke tobacco, ganja and other things as well, especially in Hinduism but are essentially ascetics. The more social of them who live amongst the society usually dont.

@badger As far as Buddha or Allah, one was an Indian like I am and one was from a similar area from the middle east as Jesus was. Buddha was a King before he renounced things and Mohammad was a General. I say both of them enjoyed women, good wine and smoked all the time, if they wanted to. Being divine or holy doesn't mean your body magically stops needing things.

Cheers,
    Chris

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. puffndave

puffndave

Login to Send PM

I think Jesus, like Einstein, would have been a fan of the Revelation blend

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesus Christ by Woodie Guthrie and covered by U2 puts an ironic twist on the lyric, 'and they laid Jesus Christ in his grave' This cover is on an album featuring several artists covering Guthrie and Leadbelly, entitled "A Vision Shared"
    If 'the One' has such a thin skin as to be offended by anything a man says or does, he'd better get back to the drawing board.

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So last night, Jesus and I walked into a bar, him being resurrected and omnipresent and all and me having a universal prayer life, and I said, "Wanna try a pipe?", proffering the omnipresent new cob and happy virginia pouch I always carry as a pipe-vangelist. He said, "SURE!! Me and Dad and Our Spirit created the glorious tobacco but you guys figured out how to smoke it with a pipe! All these millenia, we never got around to trying it!" So I showed him how to pack it and light it up and away we went!! My God(sic), how he enjoyed it! He ordered a side of manna and some extremely fine wine as accompaniments to our divine smoke, invited the other folks in the bar to join us.(mysteriously there were now about 50 new cobs in his basket and 50 new pouches of bakkie!) We all retired to the outside deck of that happy-time establishment and watched the sun set in delighted and savory silence as we enjoyed hanging out with Jesus and new friendships all around. Selah...

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #
  39. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If 'the One' has such a thin skin as to be offended by anything a man says or does, he'd better get back to the drawing board.

Admittedly this is a very risky topic when it comes to the potential to offend; fortunately we're armed with the power to ignore or indulge.

I do consider myself as a respectful person and in particularly sensitive to each individual's religious beliefs, however when I take a look around I find it difficult to imagine the creator of this existence to be one without a good sense of humor!

We all know we are just being ridiculous speculating on whether a divine being would have smoked a pipe or not - lighten up, it's all in good faith.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. hakchuma

hakchuma

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My opinion is Jesus is a lie. So my answer is no.

"From tempers be it known that we are warm in the fields of battle and cool in the hours of debate"

- Pushmataha, Choctaw Chief
    Posted 2 years ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@clickclick- so good-natured ribbing about Jesus is okay, but Buddha and Allah are untouchable? Am I interpreting your comment correctly? Regardless of my personal beliefs, I actually don't indulge in the "my voodoo horseshit is better than your voodoo horseshit", so I don't have any skin in the game. Just curious, is all.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  42. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My opinion is Jesus is a lie. So my answer is no.

Even fictitious characters can smoke pipes - haven't you seen some of the avatars around here!

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah, good old religion. The number one cause of war.

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. puffndave

puffndave

Login to Send PM

Jerwyn, I think you just won the Interwebs - very funny!

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danimalia, ashdigger, mrslaughter, craig61a, cdmjr, jaytex969