Happy Easter - Would Jesus Have Smoked a Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Taking offense to a thread like this is probably the funniest thing in this thread ! ! I chuckled out loud!

I came in here with the initial thought, Would Jesus smoke a pipe? . . . Who cares!
Well then I started reading, and apparently at least one chap does! The blissful irony in that is absolutely terrific! So thank you for that.

@Skydog Why? Wasnt Jesus a man? I'm sure he did all things we do. So explain to me why is it disgraceful and disrespectful. I am sure if Jesus is offended he will let me know. I am all ears for your rebuttal.
@clickklick ikr? LOL. Well anyone can get offended, thing is does anyone care? LOL
Chris :puffpipe:

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
I have this great pic I drew of Mohammed smoking a pipe, but I can't seem to get it to load...

Aug 14, 2012
He played the guitar. He might well have smoked if tobacco had reached the mideast by his lifetime. Holy men in India were sometimes smokers.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
If tobacco had been a common practice in Judea/Nazareth at that time, I imagine so. I would think that Jesus would have smoked whatever was the commonly available economy tobacco of the time (He came from a poor family, and doesn't seem like the type to spend money on luxuries). So, in my mind, Jesus smoked Carter Hall (an ancient version with oriental tobaccos)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Marijuana use was fairly common in certain Jewish communities. Tobacco was in theory a new world gig at that time.
The Jesus that I know may or may not have smoked a pipe -- not my place to conjecture -- but my guess is that he would have defended the ability of people to enjoy things like tobacco.
When the anti-smoking bigots came around, he would have overturned their tables (and those of about 98.6% of the rest of society besides).

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Skydog - I don't believe in any divine beings, and the historicity of a not-so-ordinary John or Joshua (I've seen both names attributed to the translation of the time to Greek, then Latin where it became "Iesus", and finally "Jesus") is somewhat dubious, but I'm not offended that others talk about him, as they believe he was. I am quite offended when people menace others with anti-blasphemy nonsense and idle threats of divine retribution, because they are too insecure to be tolerant of ideas which are different from their own.
Had Jesus really been what it's been said he was, it would be tragic that he was born too early to enjoy tobacco in his culture. Maybe he would have been too relaxed to get himself in all that trouble when he trashed the temple in Jerusalem. He may have even had some fun turning desert scrub-brush into fine tobacco. :puffpipe:

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
This thread started as an entertainment topic and developed in something different from the interest and spirit of this forum.

Let's talk about what unites us, pipe smoking, not about what divide us.

@skydog LOL My father and my mother created me, you know, by having sex, not Jesus, he was celibate you know. After studying the bible for 10 years I can conclude that Emmanuel was a pretty chill guy than ALL the sensitive Christians these days ;) , Now if Jesus threw me in hell for discussing if he liked a smoke or two, wont that make him a fickle God and not the compassionate God who gave himself up for the good of all humanity?
This was a fun thread to ponder things about someone I consider a cool God/Deity ;) btw I'm a Christian myself but I don't believe in Jesus' divinity blindly. He was a man and I am discussing his humanity right now.
@foggymountain Lots of holy men in India are smokers, they smoke tobacco, ganja and other things as well, especially in Hinduism but are essentially ascetics. The more social of them who live amongst the society usually dont.
@badger As far as Buddha or Allah, one was an Indian like I am and one was from a similar area from the middle east as Jesus was. Buddha was a King before he renounced things and Mohammad was a General. I say both of them enjoyed women, good wine and smoked all the time, if they wanted to. Being divine or holy doesn't mean your body magically stops needing things. ;)
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I think Jesus, like Einstein, would have been a fan of the Revelation blend :D

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Jesus Christ by Woodie Guthrie and covered by U2 puts an ironic twist on the lyric, 'and they laid Jesus Christ in his grave' This cover is on an album featuring several artists covering Guthrie and Leadbelly, entitled "A Vision Shared"

If 'the One' has such a thin skin as to be offended by anything a man says or does, he'd better get back to the drawing board.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
So last night, Jesus and I walked into a bar, him being resurrected and omnipresent and all and me having a universal prayer life, and I said, "Wanna try a pipe?", proffering the omnipresent new cob and happy virginia pouch I always carry as a pipe-vangelist. He said, "SURE!! Me and Dad and Our Spirit created the glorious tobacco but you guys figured out how to smoke it with a pipe! All these millenia, we never got around to trying it!" So I showed him how to pack it and light it up and away we went!! My God(sic), how he enjoyed it! He ordered a side of manna and some extremely fine wine as accompaniments to our divine smoke, invited the other folks in the bar to join us.(mysteriously there were now about 50 new cobs in his basket and 50 new pouches of bakkie!) We all retired to the outside deck of that happy-time establishment and watched the sun set in delighted and savory silence as we enjoyed hanging out with Jesus and new friendships all around. Selah...

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
If 'the One' has such a thin skin as to be offended by anything a man says or does, he'd better get back to the drawing board.
Admittedly this is a very risky topic when it comes to the potential to offend; fortunately we're armed with the power to ignore or indulge.
I do consider myself as a respectful person and in particularly sensitive to each individual's religious beliefs, however when I take a look around I find it difficult to imagine the creator of this existence to be one without a good sense of humor!
We all know we are just being ridiculous speculating on whether a divine being would have smoked a pipe or not - lighten up, it's all in good faith.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@clickclick- so good-natured ribbing about Jesus is okay, but Buddha and Allah are untouchable? Am I interpreting your comment correctly? Regardless of my personal beliefs, I actually don't indulge in the "my voodoo horseshit is better than your voodoo horseshit", so I don't have any skin in the game. Just curious, is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.