Tags:  No tags yet. 

Grandfather's Treasure

(10 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by jollyroger
  • Latest reply from NOLA Cajun
  1. jollyroger

jollyroger

Login to Send PM

My father and I had been discussing a pipe shipment I was eagerly waiting for, and I had forgotten all about the conversation when he called me down from my office and handed me my grandfather's lighter that I had forgotten existed.

He acquired it sometime between 1968 and 1970 in England when he visited as a military delegate.
    I intend on getting it fully operational and part of my daily kit.

As can be seen it's a 14kt gold plated Dunhill 70 in absolute mint condition.

This has gotten me super stoked, being as last I've seen this lighter, I was five years old, and I never had the privilege of meeting my grandfather. Thought I'd share my unexpected excitement.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. macaroon

macaroon

Login to Send PM

What a classy piece! And with some family history, all the better. I love the combined engineering--all the different lighting mechanisms and whatnot--and aesthetic appeal of nice lighters, and this is really a prime example.

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul"
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. foolwiththefez

foolwiththefez

Login to Send PM

Beautiful. It's nice to have something like that. I have my Grandfather's pipe rack. It's a simple wooden affair my father bought him for a birthday gift but it is a true joy to use something I know he used.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. perlasca

perlasca

Login to Send PM

Sweet, nice looking lighter and belonged to your Grandfather to boot.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. blackbeard

Tyler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jaw dropped. Knew the dunhill logo when I saw it, but had only seen it before I got into smoking a pipe. Didn't know they were related.

Who is John Galt?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

that is one nice piece

Javan
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. beerandbaccy

beerandbaccy

Login to Send PM

What a great find! My dad used to use a Dunhill (I wonder where it is now???) Timeless and classy lighter

"I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate"- George Burns
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. jeepnewbie

jeepnewbie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats on getting a piece of family history passed to you. Those are great lighters.

"Keep it Classy"
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. jollyroger

jollyroger

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. All that was required was flint and butane and it immediately lit, as if just waiting to be of use once again.

Upon further inquiry I learned that my grandfather passed it to my father when he was 18 and drafted.
    Apparently my father had feared it would be lost easily and therefore locked it away until he completed his military service, which explains it appearing almost brand new.
    I'm glad it has come to me at this stage in life and not earlier, as I seemed to have lost or heavily damaged all of my lighters (mostly zippo) during my service, and I doubt this lighter would have survived like it did if I had taken it with me while serving.

I guess things happen when they ought to sometimes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. tobyducote

NOLA Cajun

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice...my wife has one just like it that belonged to my father in law...he bought it when he was also in England back in the late 60s

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   npod, judcole