PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
My father and I had been discussing a pipe shipment I was eagerly waiting for, and I had forgotten all about the conversation when he called me down from my office and handed me my grandfather's lighter that I had forgotten existed.
He acquired it sometime between 1968 and 1970 in England when he visited as a military delegate.

I intend on getting it fully operational and part of my daily kit.
As can be seen it's a 14kt gold plated Dunhill 70 in absolute mint condition.

IMG_20151015_233541.jpg

IMG_20151015_233621.jpg

IMG_20151015_233719.jpg

This has gotten me super stoked, being as last I've seen this lighter, I was five years old, and I never had the privilege of meeting my grandfather. Thought I'd share my unexpected excitement.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
What a classy piece! And with some family history, all the better. I love the combined engineering--all the different lighting mechanisms and whatnot--and aesthetic appeal of nice lighters, and this is really a prime example.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Beautiful. It's nice to have something like that. I have my Grandfather's pipe rack. It's a simple wooden affair my father bought him for a birthday gift but it is a true joy to use something I know he used.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
Sweet, nice looking lighter and belonged to your Grandfather to boot.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
jaw dropped. Knew the dunhill logo when I saw it, but had only seen it before I got into smoking a pipe. Didn't know they were related.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
What a great find! My dad used to use a Dunhill (I wonder where it is now???) Timeless and classy lighter

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Thanks guys. All that was required was flint and butane and it immediately lit, as if just waiting to be of use once again.
Upon further inquiry I learned that my grandfather passed it to my father when he was 18 and drafted.

Apparently my father had feared it would be lost easily and therefore locked it away until he completed his military service, which explains it appearing almost brand new.

I'm glad it has come to me at this stage in life and not earlier, as I seemed to have lost or heavily damaged all of my lighters (mostly zippo) during my service, and I doubt this lighter would have survived like it did if I had taken it with me while serving.
I guess things happen when they ought to sometimes.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Very nice...my wife has one just like it that belonged to my father in law...he bought it when he was also in England back in the late 60s

Status
Not open for further replies.