Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Convert From Cigs to Pipe

(38 posts)
  1. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A gentleman at work, who is considerably older than me, made a comment this morning as he walked out, "time for a nasty cig", I chuckled & he said,"hatem but after smoking 55 yrs I can't quit". I immediately said try something else, his reply wasn't about smoking it was about blondes..I thought even though I dont have a huge selection, I could clean up a pipe that I know smokes well but I don't use very often, bag up a few bowls of a couple different blends & a pipe nail & offer him a change. I just don't know how to go about it tastefully, I don't really know him beyond, good morning & how was your weekend. Any advice? Do I just say hey I've got something for ya..

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. ulteriorzaiak

ulteriorzaiak

Login to Send PM

If it were me [and it's not] I'd just say 'hey I got something for ya' and hand him the package of goodies. At the very least you're likely to make more of a friend of him.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ya see that's what I thought originally, but then thought maybe I should suggest today to see if he's even interested.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobby46

Probably Older Than You

Login to Send PM

I give hand-made (decent-looking and functional) pipes away to every cig-person that I know. They leave with a bowlful of OTC, an aluminum nail tamper, and a few pipe-cleaners. I don't ask if they want this. It just gets handed over. I merely say "I've got a gift for you".

I will admit that in (the observable) cases of my neighbor, and my nephew, the gesture was wasted.
    You have to be prepared that your generousity will be in vain. Any reasonable recipient will however, recognize the gesture as good-will.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hey I've got something for ya

Yep. If he asks more, tell him you know this guy up in Dallas who just sent you a bunch of tobacco who's going through the same thing He's been smoking cigs for 35+ years and is working his way down. He now still smokes cigs since he has short breaks at work, but outside of that, he's noticing that he actually wants the pipe more and that cigs don't give him the same satisfaction anymore. He's down from over a pack a day to a pack in maybe 3-4 days.

So perhaps it'll help him too.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. ulteriorzaiak

ulteriorzaiak

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't ask first, as it he may say no out of being polite [not wanting to put you out or something of that nature]. As Bobby said, just be prepared for your generosity to be in vain [but do it anyways if you're so inclined as the gesture is obviously in good will].

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. adam12

adam12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's hard to approach a person who smokes cigarettes and get him (or her) to quit or switch without saying "hey man, do you know that cigarette you're smoking is like a combination Fukushima nuclear power plant explosion, Times Beach dioxin leak, and Congo Ebola outbreak? There's not even any room for tobacco in there man! Why don't you let me spray Windex on some paper scraps from the paper shredder, soak it in formaldehyde, and you can roll it up and smoke it next smoke break? HAHAHA"

Yeah you can't say that, unless of course they have a sense of humor about it.

Strange thing is, almost every cigarette smoker I know HATES SMOKING CIGARETTES. They hold them to the side, away from their face, away from others, then throw them on the ground almost like they are ashamed of it. Weird.

I would do this (seriously)
    - Open a tin of tobacco and say "here, check this out" and offer it to them to catch a smell
    - 9 times out of 10, even to non-smokers, they say "man that smells good"
    - Then I would say "well, because it's all tobacco, no additives like cigarettes" (unless it's some freaky aromatic)
    - Then I'd say, "you ever try a pipe before? It's high maintenance but totally better smokin"

Then start the conversation that way

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@adam12
    Ok, so I've got a newly acquired English, burley, and a couple aeros, a decent kw I'll clean really good, a pipe nail, small pack of cleaners, story about Mick..anything else I should give him? I figured I might say, if you like it I'll email you some sites to get you started. Pm.com, p & c, sterling & such. Any other suggestions? I'm won't be offended if its not for him, o just don't want to put him off by being pushy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. cajunguy

Cajunguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The person of whom you're speaking opened the door for you: he called them "nasty" and said he "hated 'em." Somewhere in his subconscious he's recognizing a need to quit. Unless, of course, he's experiencing some sort of societal guilt and feels the need to apologize.

I don't do that anymore. I just tell people to stop wasting my smoking oxygen on complaints.

But I think he would appreciate the gesture. Even if he splits time between pipes and cigs, the times he smokes the pipe is less time on the coffin nails. Who knows, you might gain a pipe smoking buddy? Emphasize that the pipe goes well with coffee and certain types of booze, whereas cigarettes really do not.

Adam12's approach sounds like a winner to me. That's how I'd go about doing it.

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black." - Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Or you could invite him to a smoke with you. and then hand him the pipe and pop a tin right there. It worked for me when I transformed the security gard from cigars to pipe.

If you can't pack it, light it, and smoke it then why do it. It's a dieing art that must be rekindled in all of us as fortold by our forefathers.

Words to live by for all pipe smokers.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. cajunguy

Cajunguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In addition, I'd tell him about the culture, the history, the mystique that surrounds pipe smoking; emphasize its gentlemanly nature.

Better yet, tell him about us!

Oh wait, don't do that. All your efforts will be for naught.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@tokerpipes I would invite like you suggest, but we work at a hospital, he works for the hospital & I work for a construction company that's doing an addition. You aren't allowed to smoke on premises, he gets in &is car & drives, i dont have that luxury, I smoke to & from work, & then after dinner. On weekends I've always got a pipe. That's why I was thinking of doing it this way.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

If you have a bowl that you can pack half-full and use for smoke breaks, even better!

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. jaysin

jaysin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 with Adam12 and toker if you could do it that way

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do I just say hey I've got something for ya..

Works for me.
    I don't know in your case... but, I used to smoke "them" coughin' nails too.
    Fortunately I had some familial history to fall back on.
    Your acquaintance may not be so lucky.
    He might say "Thanks, but no thanks" and that's alright.
    Don't push, he might think about it and come looking later.
    If he doesn't...
    Look on the bright side you'll have nice refurb to break back in... again.
    Good luck!

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. pipetrucker

pipetrucker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with the "just give the to him" idea. Can't hurt.

Mason

And though it is much to be a nobleman, it is more to be a gentleman. - Anthony Trollope
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

stumpyds8

Login to Send PM

I just recently made the move from cigs to a pipe. My only motivation was my girlfriend constantly telling how bad cigs smelled.

My dad smoked a pipe the whole time I was growing up but made a move to cigs when I was ayoung teen. She loves the smell and even comes to the store to help me pick out diffrent kinds to try.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, here's the gift package I've put together for hima Kaywoodie super grain Dublin that smokes well, pipenail, a few cleaners, 4-5 bowls each of 1Q, Sutliff Molto Dolce, Capt.Black White, Sterling double Eagle, & Sterling millionaires Blend, and the web address' for this site, p & c, cupojoes, Sterling & smokingpipes...anything I should add?

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. deithial

deithial

Login to Send PM

Honestly I think this is a great idea, but most of those are great but missing the Nicotine that cigs provide. I would toss in a pouch of Prince Albert, tell him it costs less than a pack of smokes (it does here anyways), PA's burley tastes alot like cig tobacco. Thanx to PA, i'm off cigs and a full time pipe smoker.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. deithial

deithial

Login to Send PM

Oh and for the love of god teach him how to sip a pipe. Cig smokers will pull the hell out of a pipe and get tongue bite real bad, its almost made me stop a few times b4 i learned.

Also, this is my all day smoke, being a recent convert it might help.
    3 parts Prince Albert & 1 part Capt Black white. It's a good flavor, amps the nicotine and has that cool mountain stream burley taste that makes life just worth living.

- There's no more pipe toby commercials so I add when i can, ha

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great idea, and nice gesture on your part! Here's hoping he'll become a convert!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. lifeon2

lifeon2

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dam crpntr wish I'd have met you on a job site. Very awesome if that doesnt convert him nothing will.

You may call me "HerrDoctor"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I often give away good clean and cheap pipes to people who are curious . I hooked my boss and a good customer last year . My boss wants into my cellar while my customer is happy with Wallgreens Vanilla . The boss and I also share cigars and trade back and forth . Iam also the official cigar getter at work for the big fishing trip and the deer camp even though I do not get to go . It is always fun to share .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, several folks have been generous with sending samples my way , I'm glad to have the opportunity to share the pipe. I just didn't want to come across the wrong way.
    @deithial, good idea, I will throw some pa in with it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. annapolispipes

annapolispipes

Login to Send PM

Hell, I think I'll give the 3 parts PA and 1 part Capt Black idea. I'm trying like hell to come off years of dipping Copenhagen. It's a tough one to break. I had to break a couple years ago to get preferred life insurance. I took about 10 days off without any nicotene. First 24 hours were like hell on earth but I did it. Money talks man... big time. Wish I had went right to a pipe back then but I picked up the dip right after getting approved. Dumb. I'd like to quit again but the suffering sucks. If I could just get a nice nic fix from the pipe I might be good and manage the withdrawls better. I don't inhale purposely though so it's really tough for me to get anything nicotine wise. I once inadvertently sucked some smoke on a first Sunday morning pipe and I got the tingles from head to toe. Felt great but I just don't want to get into inhaling all the time.

I sort of wonder if the body absorbs any nicotine just from puffing without inhaling pipe smoke. Hm.

Per Aspera Ad Astra - "Through hardships to the stars"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. auspipe

auspipe

Login to Send PM

This is a great thing to do, the more people off coffin nails the better. I wish that over here people would embrace pipe tobacco and start a few nice B&M shops where people can go to relax and smoke a pipe with good company, but unfortunately the high taxes and anti-smoking propaganda means slim chance of that happening.

annapolispipes, I do not get a nicotine buzz from the tobaccos I have tried so far. I do not inhale, just puff. I only have a few tobaccos, university flake is supposed to be quite strong - but I do not feel a thing.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok so I added pa, some deithial mix, and since I was at it and had a story about Mick I even thru in some midnight gold :mrgreen:....but his cars not in the lot, lol. Maybe he's running late who knows. I've def got a load of stuff for him!

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For sure. I am an ex cig smoker and I would still be chomping at the bit if it were not for VaPa and Lat. but I have been able to get off of those some even now I still crave a little drag from a cig.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a great idea and shows the community spirit amongst pipe smokers that seems generally universal.

I'd hand over the goodies and just say "Happy Friday" (or which ever day it is) and give him a link to this site. Let us know how he reacts.

Albert Einstein said "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  30. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, today I caught Bob in his office slipped in & gifted him the package. Gs unpacked as I explained my reasoning, to my suprise he said (after a flury of thank you's) , "ya know, I used to smoke a pipe, years & years ago. I've wanted to quit smoking, but didn't want to at the same time." He said "I'll be retired in a few months & I can settle in on the back deck & enjoy retirement." I was very pleased with his reaction & went on with my morning, about 2 hours later he caught me in the hall & told me that he just couldn't express his appreciation. I think it made his day & I know it did mine. I'm hoping we can get together in the future & smoke a bowl. Might even being him to Mick's get together. Anyway, thanx for all the help & suggestions, I think I'm gonna put another together, try to introduce the pipe to several people a year. It was very rewarding.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeguy93

Login to Send PM

Wow, glad to hear it went over well. Hopefully he'll give up cigs for good and go back to the pipe!

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been reading through threads like this because, as some of you may know, I've recently set aside the rollies in favor of full-time pipe smoking after 20 some years. I think this is a great idea. The only potential snag is the time it takes to get the hang of the pipe. How best to approach that issue?

I think it's a great idea and can see how rewarding this would be. I'm going to try the same thing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That's hard, especially for someone used to cigarettes and starting out as a pipe smoking virgin.

Learning to smoke cigarettes takes less than a week -- once you can inhale and not cough your lungs out, you pretty much nailed it.

Pipes? Ah pipes. 40+ years and I'm still learning something new all the time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the time it takes to get the hang of the pipe. How best to approach that issue?

Nothing comes easy. Practice makes art. It's worth it in the long run.... just some things I had to keep repeating to myself as well

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chris all i can say that starting pipe has cut me down smoking nails considerable to the point that i will most likely be able to completely quick by the time my wife gets pregnant with our first child.

that being said you are a angel for doing this for the guy whether he knows it or not you are helping him out a great deal. Good on you i have lots of respect for you my friend.

Just talk with him and give him the option its not easy quitting nails he needs to make that decision on his own.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I might try this with my dad hes been trying to quit for a while now. it would be nice if we both quit together and started enjoying pipes together.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

I think that this thread contains some really good advice, and I'm not quite sure which is the best. But just the attempt to help someone stop cigarette smoking is a good deed in itself. (When I stopped smoking cigs 'cold turkey' many years ago, it had helped greatly that I had already started smoking pipes.)

"I wish that over here people would embrace pipe tobacco and start a few nice B&M shops where people can go to relax and smoke a pipe with good company, but unfortunately the high taxes and anti-smoking propaganda means slim chance of that happening."

Indeed. My own experience is that many ex-cigarette smokers who were never introduced to pipes or cigars become as intolerant of pipe/cigar smoking as many of those who had never started smoking anything. And more often than not, it seems that only the sight or the idea seems to turn on their switch.
    I was once in a chess tournament when I took out a pipe from one of my pockets. My opponent immediately summoned the director and complained; when I showed them that the bowl was empty, he blurted out, "Yes, but he's threatening to smoke!"

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats on your 100th post Yadan.

I have smoked pipes since I was old enough to do so.
    However; coughin' nails took over for a long time and the pipe was a treat once in a while.
    When I decided to stop smoking those nicotine delivery systems, I wen cold turkey for a month.
    All the while intending to pick up my pipes at the end of that month.
    It worked for me.
    I haven't had a "coughin' nail" since January 1 (damn! 4 years ago!) 2009.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   philobeddoe, cortezattic, mrdottle, ruger414, beefeater33, sjfine, mphstteach, ericthered, ghost, jimbo44, pruss, jfox520, decigar, smokeybear, jthall, txbeerboy, catyrpelius