PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Dam crpntr wish I'd have met you on a job site. Very awesome if that doesnt convert him nothing will.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I often give away good clean and cheap pipes to people who are curious . I hooked my boss and a good customer last year . My boss wants into my cellar while my customer is happy with Wallgreens Vanilla . The boss and I also share cigars and trade back and forth . Iam also the official cigar getter at work for the big fishing trip and the deer camp even though I do not get to go . It is always fun to share .

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Well, several folks have been generous with sending samples my way , I'm glad to have the opportunity to share the pipe. I just didn't want to come across the wrong way.

@deithial, good idea, I will throw some pa in with it.

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Hell, I think I'll give the 3 parts PA and 1 part Capt Black idea. I'm trying like hell to come off years of dipping Copenhagen. It's a tough one to break. I had to break a couple years ago to get preferred life insurance. I took about 10 days off without any nicotene. First 24 hours were like hell on earth but I did it. Money talks man... big time. Wish I had went right to a pipe back then but I picked up the dip right after getting approved. Dumb. I'd like to quit again but the suffering sucks. If I could just get a nice nic fix from the pipe I might be good and manage the withdrawls better. I don't inhale purposely though so it's really tough for me to get anything nicotine wise. I once inadvertently sucked some smoke on a first Sunday morning pipe and I got the tingles from head to toe. Felt great but I just don't want to get into inhaling all the time.
I sort of wonder if the body absorbs any nicotine just from puffing without inhaling pipe smoke. Hm.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
This is a great thing to do, the more people off coffin nails the better. I wish that over here people would embrace pipe tobacco and start a few nice B&M shops where people can go to relax and smoke a pipe with good company, but unfortunately the high taxes and anti-smoking propaganda means slim chance of that happening.
annapolispipes, I do not get a nicotine buzz from the tobaccos I have tried so far. I do not inhale, just puff. I only have a few tobaccos, university flake is supposed to be quite strong - but I do not feel a thing.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Ok so I added pa, some deithial mix, and since I was at it and had a story about Mick I even thru in some midnight gold :mrgreen:....but his cars not in the lot, lol. Maybe he's running late who knows. I've def got a load of stuff for him!

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
For sure. I am an ex cig smoker and I would still be chomping at the bit if it were not for VaPa and Lat. but I have been able to get off of those some even now I still crave a little drag from a cig.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Sounds like a great idea and shows the community spirit amongst pipe smokers that seems generally universal.
I'd hand over the goodies and just say "Happy Friday" (or which ever day it is) and give him a link to this site. Let us know how he reacts.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Ok, today I caught Bob in his office slipped in & gifted him the package. Gs unpacked as I explained my reasoning, to my suprise he said (after a flury of thank you's) , "ya know, I used to smoke a pipe, years & years ago. I've wanted to quit smoking, but didn't want to at the same time." He said "I'll be retired in a few months & I can settle in on the back deck & enjoy retirement." I was very pleased with his reaction & went on with my morning, about 2 hours later he caught me in the hall & told me that he just couldn't express his appreciation. I think it made his day & I know it did mine. I'm hoping we can get together in the future & smoke a bowl. Might even being him to Mick's get together. Anyway, thanx for all the help & suggestions, I think I'm gonna put another together, try to introduce the pipe to several people a year. It was very rewarding. :puffy:

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
Wow, glad to hear it went over well. Hopefully he'll give up cigs for good and go back to the pipe! :D

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I've been reading through threads like this because, as some of you may know, I've recently set aside the rollies in favor of full-time pipe smoking after 20 some years. I think this is a great idea. The only potential snag is the time it takes to get the hang of the pipe. How best to approach that issue?
I think it's a great idea and can see how rewarding this would be. I'm going to try the same thing.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
the time it takes to get the hang of the pipe. How best to approach that issue?

Nothing comes easy. Practice makes art. It's worth it in the long run.... just some things I had to keep repeating to myself as well

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Chris all i can say that starting pipe has cut me down smoking nails considerable to the point that i will most likely be able to completely quick by the time my wife gets pregnant with our first child.
that being said you are a angel for doing this for the guy whether he knows it or not you are helping him out a great deal. Good on you i have lots of respect for you my friend.
Just talk with him and give him the option its not easy quitting nails he needs to make that decision on his own.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
I think that this thread contains some really good advice, and I'm not quite sure which is the best. But just the attempt to help someone stop cigarette smoking is a good deed in itself. (When I stopped smoking cigs 'cold turkey' many years ago, it had helped greatly that I had already started smoking pipes.)
"I wish that over here people would embrace pipe tobacco and start a few nice B&M shops where people can go to relax and smoke a pipe with good company, but unfortunately the high taxes and anti-smoking propaganda means slim chance of that happening."
Indeed. My own experience is that many ex-cigarette smokers who were never introduced to pipes or cigars become as intolerant of pipe/cigar smoking as many of those who had never started smoking anything. And more often than not, it seems that only the sight or the idea seems to turn on their switch.

I was once in a chess tournament when I took out a pipe from one of my pockets. My opponent immediately summoned the director and complained; when I showed them that the bowl was empty, he blurted out, "Yes, but he's threatening to smoke!"

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Congrats on your 100th post Yadan.
I have smoked pipes since I was old enough to do so.

However; coughin' nails took over for a long time and the pipe was a treat once in a while.

When I decided to stop smoking those nicotine delivery systems, I wen cold turkey for a month.

All the while intending to pick up my pipes at the end of that month.

It worked for me.

I haven't had a "coughin' nail" since January 1 (damn! 4 years ago!) 2009.

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.