PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
A gentleman at work, who is considerably older than me, made a comment this morning as he walked out, "time for a nasty cig", I chuckled & he said,"hatem but after smoking 55 yrs I can't quit". I immediately said try something else, his reply wasn't about smoking it was about blondes..I thought even though I dont have a huge selection, I could clean up a pipe that I know smokes well but I don't use very often, bag up a few bowls of a couple different blends & a pipe nail & offer him a change. I just don't know how to go about it tastefully, I don't really know him beyond, good morning & how was your weekend. Any advice? Do I just say hey I've got something for ya..

ulteriorzaiak

Lurker
Feb 12, 2012
If it were me [and it's not] I'd just say 'hey I got something for ya' and hand him the package of goodies. At the very least you're likely to make more of a friend of him.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Ya see that's what I thought originally, but then thought maybe I should suggest today to see if he's even interested.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I give hand-made (decent-looking and functional) pipes away to every cig-person that I know. They leave with a bowlful of OTC, an aluminum nail tamper, and a few pipe-cleaners. I don't ask if they want this. It just gets handed over. I merely say "I've got a gift for you".
I will admit that in (the observable) cases of my neighbor, and my nephew, the gesture was wasted.

You have to be prepared that your generousity will be in vain. Any reasonable recipient will however, recognize the gesture as good-will.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
hey I've got something for ya
Yep. If he asks more, tell him you know this guy up in Dallas who just sent you a bunch of tobacco who's going through the same thing ;-) He's been smoking cigs for 35+ years and is working his way down. He now still smokes cigs since he has short breaks at work, but outside of that, he's noticing that he actually wants the pipe more and that cigs don't give him the same satisfaction anymore. He's down from over a pack a day to a pack in maybe 3-4 days.
So perhaps it'll help him too.

ulteriorzaiak

Lurker
Feb 12, 2012
I wouldn't ask first, as it he may say no out of being polite [not wanting to put you out or something of that nature]. As Bobby said, just be prepared for your generosity to be in vain [but do it anyways if you're so inclined as the gesture is obviously in good will].

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
It's hard to approach a person who smokes cigarettes and get him (or her) to quit or switch without saying "hey man, do you know that cigarette you're smoking is like a combination Fukushima nuclear power plant explosion, Times Beach dioxin leak, and Congo Ebola outbreak? There's not even any room for tobacco in there man! Why don't you let me spray Windex on some paper scraps from the paper shredder, soak it in formaldehyde, and you can roll it up and smoke it next smoke break? HAHAHA"
Yeah you can't say that, unless of course they have a sense of humor about it.
Strange thing is, almost every cigarette smoker I know HATES SMOKING CIGARETTES. They hold them to the side, away from their face, away from others, then throw them on the ground almost like they are ashamed of it. Weird.
I would do this (seriously)

- Open a tin of tobacco and say "here, check this out" and offer it to them to catch a smell

- 9 times out of 10, even to non-smokers, they say "man that smells good"

- Then I would say "well, because it's all tobacco, no additives like cigarettes" (unless it's some freaky aromatic)

- Then I'd say, "you ever try a pipe before? It's high maintenance but totally better smokin"
Then start the conversation that way

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
@adam12 :rofl:

Ok, so I've got a newly acquired English, burley, and a couple aeros, a decent kw I'll clean really good, a pipe nail, small pack of cleaners, story about Mick..anything else I should give him? I figured I might say, if you like it I'll email you some sites to get you started. Pm.com, p & c, sterling & such. Any other suggestions? I'm won't be offended if its not for him, o just don't want to put him off by being pushy.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
The person of whom you're speaking opened the door for you: he called them "nasty" and said he "hated 'em." Somewhere in his subconscious he's recognizing a need to quit. Unless, of course, he's experiencing some sort of societal guilt and feels the need to apologize.
I don't do that anymore. I just tell people to stop wasting my smoking oxygen on complaints.
But I think he would appreciate the gesture. Even if he splits time between pipes and cigs, the times he smokes the pipe is less time on the coffin nails. Who knows, you might gain a pipe smoking buddy? Emphasize that the pipe goes well with coffee and certain types of booze, whereas cigarettes really do not.
Adam12's approach sounds like a winner to me. That's how I'd go about doing it.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Or you could invite him to a smoke with you. and then hand him the pipe and pop a tin right there. It worked for me when I transformed the security gard from cigars to pipe.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
In addition, I'd tell him about the culture, the history, the mystique that surrounds pipe smoking; emphasize its gentlemanly nature.
Better yet, tell him about us!
Oh wait, don't do that. All your efforts will be for naught.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
@tokerpipes I would invite like you suggest, but we work at a hospital, he works for the hospital & I work for a construction company that's doing an addition. You aren't allowed to smoke on premises, he gets in &is car & drives, i dont have that luxury, I smoke to & from work, & then after dinner. On weekends I've always got a pipe. That's why I was thinking of doing it this way.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Do I just say hey I've got something for ya..

Works for me.

I don't know in your case... but, I used to smoke "them" coughin' nails too.

Fortunately I had some familial history to fall back on.

Your acquaintance may not be so lucky.

He might say "Thanks, but no thanks" and that's alright.

Don't push, he might think about it and come looking later.

If he doesn't...

Look on the bright side you'll have nice refurb to break back in... again.

Good luck!

:puffy:

stumpyds8

Lurker
Mar 15, 2012
I just recently made the move from cigs to a pipe. My only motivation was my girlfriend constantly telling how bad cigs smelled.
My dad smoked a pipe the whole time I was growing up but made a move to cigs when I was ayoung teen. She loves the smell and even comes to the store to help me pick out diffrent kinds to try.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Ok, here's the gift package I've put together for him
IMAG0310.jpg
a Kaywoodie super grain Dublin that smokes well, pipenail, a few cleaners, 4-5 bowls each of 1Q, Sutliff Molto Dolce, Capt.Black White, Sterling double Eagle, & Sterling millionaires Blend, and the web address' for this site, p & c, cupojoes, Sterling & smokingpipes...anything I should add?

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
Honestly I think this is a great idea, but most of those are great but missing the Nicotine that cigs provide. I would toss in a pouch of Prince Albert, tell him it costs less than a pack of smokes (it does here anyways), PA's burley tastes alot like cig tobacco. Thanx to PA, i'm off cigs and a full time pipe smoker.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
Oh and for the love of god teach him how to sip a pipe. Cig smokers will pull the hell out of a pipe and get tongue bite real bad, its almost made me stop a few times b4 i learned.
Also, this is my all day smoke, being a recent convert it might help.

3 parts Prince Albert & 1 part Capt Black white. It's a good flavor, amps the nicotine and has that cool mountain stream burley taste that makes life just worth living.
- There's no more pipe toby commercials so I add when i can, ha

Status
Not open for further replies.