PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstephen

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
Hello all.
So i admit it i used to detest latakia, within a week of me picking up the pipe nearly three years ago i picked up a pouch of gawith and hoggarths balkan mixture.

Opening the pouch i nearly went crosseyed with the musky aroma and smoking wasnt much better i ended up with tongue bite amd the taste repulsed me.
From that moment on i swore i would never touch latakia ever again or any mixture containing it.
But fast foreward to june this year and i was in pitlochry in scotland visiting edradour distillery and being as i was in a distillery i tried one of their offerings.

A heavily peated whisky of which the name i cant spell.

Smelling it i instantly thought latakia and the gentleman who served it said it was indeed popular with some pipe smokers who enjoyed latakia mixtures.

Anyways sat in the scottish sunshine savouring this whisky i really enjoyed it and balkan mixture came to mind.
So the last couple of months ive been toying with trying latakia again and this month is my birthday month so i decided to treat myself with some gawith balkan mixture.
Opening the pouch the familiar aromas rose out of the packet like a genie that had been smoked heavily but this time i wasnt repulsed i was intrigued and instead of just smelling smoke i was beggining to pick out hints of leather and a slight herbal like scent and then the virginias crept through.
Lighting up i was instantly hit with the latakia but it was a pleasant experience a nice creamy smokey leathery smoke with a hint of sweetness and as the bowl progressed with me sipping and savouring the pipefull like i did with that peated whiskey i found i was really enjoying myself and i adored having such a complex and contemplative smoke.
Before that bowl was finished i was sold.
Latakia now as i view it is a friend one that has to be respected and get to know slowly and when you do that it opens the door and unveils a whole new world and dimension to pipe smokig infact ive smoked nothing but the balkan mixture for the last few days and its something i can see becoming a regular smoke of mine.
Sadly though as much as i now love my new found friend my parents are really less enthusiastic as me.

With my dad describing it as something that smells like a tramps hat on a tyre fire.

And my mother simply describing it as smelling like camel sh*t.

Needless to say im banished outside or to my shed but i really cant wait for autumn as i think when i go walking through the forrests that are near me it will be a perfect companion.
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Nice post and welcome to the forum, I myself am in the same boat you were i avoid Latakia always due to a horrifying first experience. I must say though your little confession has peaked my curiosity to once again venture into the dark forest and conquer that black beast called Latakia. Looking forward to further posts from you, thanks for sharing your story.
PS. if you do ever remember the name of that whiskey please share it because if i where to open my doors to latakia a good whiskey would put me in the right direction. :puffy:

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
When I first picked up a pipe I went through countless aromatics. When I tried my first Latakia blend, over 45 years ago, it felt like arriving home. I've never looked back.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
PS. if you do ever remember the name of that whiskey please share it because if i where to open my doors to latakia a good whiskey would put me in the right direction.
Since I love a good peaty single malt, I did a little research on Edradour. Looks like their peated offering is called "Ballechin", which they debuted in 2003. It's a resurrection of the brand offered by one of the other small distilleries in the area that has closed its doors.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I love that camel dung. If something every happens and I have to grow my own tobacco. I may have to roast some horse mess under it.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Since I love a good peaty single malt, I did a little research on Edradour. Looks like their peated offering is called "Ballechin", which they debuted in 2003
Named after this guy?
Ballchinian.jpg

zanthipal

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
So you got me thinking. I like Latakia heavy blends, but always avoid the peaty islands Scotch and go for a nice highland Scotch. Maybe it is time I gave the smokey peat Scotch's another chance.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Welcome cstephen and nice post.
My experience was similar. Back when I was in my twenties more than once tobacconists tried to woo me with Latakia blends but I ended up trying a few puffs not even getting through the bowl and just tossed the stuff. Fast forward twenty years and now I've grown to love Latakia. I don't smoke it regularly but when the mood strikes it usually always is a highly rewarding and complex smoke. My two all time favorites are GL Pease Gaslight and Mac Baren HH Latakia Flakes. I cringe when I think of those blends long ago I let dry out and eventually threw away. Those were most certainly Syrian Latakia. :( Lucky for me I suppose Cyprian Latakia we have today is all I know so I don't have to lament the old days like some old timers do.
Also as you say sitting outdoors or off on a lunt is when the Latakia blend really tastes great.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I am also an English and Balkan guy. I plan to get a few ounces of C&D Super Balkan soon. P&C has a sale going on C&D products right now. I think I'll go peruse the choices right now.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Initially I smoked a lat blend to exact my revenge on some girls in a college class who made a big stink (no pun intended) over me lighting up a cigar but agreed that a pipe would be ok. But I grew to like it. It's not something I smoke all the time, but specifically I find it's the only blend I crave after a meal where I've eaten a little too much. Dunhill Nightcap is my lat of choice, it's the mackdaddy of lats.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I began smoking the adage I heard about latakia is that you love it or hate it. Over the course of a few years I smoked it, liking it well enough. But then I decided that I didn't like it and stopped smoking it for 10 years. About 18 months ago I questioned my decision and bought a few blends, and now I do love it, though I smoke it in spurts. I seem to be preoccupied with non-latakia blends and for no reason decide to jump back in. I've had a few bowls when my palate is wide open, and in all truth they have been heavenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.