PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Morning folks!
OK, here's where I'm at. Haven't tried latakia at all, mostly because it's simply sounded unappetizing to me - I can't think of any reason to smoke a stinky campfire.
However, I'm re-thinking this for a couple of reasons. First, a friend gave me a Drew Estate Kentucky Fire-Cured cigar. I smoked it and absolutely loved it. It had the smokiness in it, but was balanced by sweetness and creamy smoothness especially through the nose. I'd expected a lot of unbalanced burning-leaves kind of thing, but my final impression was a very rich, balanced experience that I'd do again in a heartbeat. Although I know the flavors will be completely different, is the general impression anything akin to a proper latakia blend?
Second, I've been reading a lot of reviews of Nightcap and I figure there must be SOMETHING to it (and other lat blends) more than an ashy, smelly brush fire, so I think I may need to give latakia at least its fair shot.
For context, I'm not afraid of heavy flavor - I like bold and oaky Cabernets, I love Islay single malts, I prefer full-bodied cigars and I adore the smoky char on a properly (i.e. not by me) grilled and seared steak. So on paper, at least, my palate appears to be compatible with latakia.
So - will someone attempt to convice me to try latakia? And yes, I know the correct response would be "Hey Nancy-boy, quitcher hem-hawing and barf up the ten bucks for a tin!" I'm just trying to kick up a little conversation... :)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
It sounds like you're doing a good enough job convincing yourself.
This statement alone, "I love Islay single malts," tells me that you already have a palate which is adjusted to the kinds of aromatics brought along by Latakia. You don't tell us what you're currently smoking, so it's hard to recommend a specific blend. But you might consider a tobacco which features Latakia more as a condiment than as the main course. Something out of the Frog Morton series might be up your alley as a starter. If you're currently smoking aromatics, consider Frog Morton's Cellar or Two Friends English Chocolate.
If you want to take a safe route in exploration, pick up a sampler of tobaccos from one of the site sponsors and try different blends with different levels of Latakia; or if you have a local pipe club or B&M available consider visiting and sampling among friends.
Have fun!
-- Pat

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Hey, Nancy-boy, quitcher. . .
Oh, sorry. ;) To be honest, I'm having a hard time thinking of ways to "sell" you on something you're not really wanting to do. I mean. . . why? Of course, I think you should definitely try latakia -- and in a variety of blends, not just one -- because I believe every pipe smoker should be an educated pipe smoker and that means exploring all of the major styles of blends. But not everyone thinks like that. Some folks are just looking for blends they'll immediately take to.
You don't say what other tobaccos you haven't tried yet. But because there is an important perique presence in Nightcap, I wouldn't recommend making that your first latakia blend if you haven't yet explored perique and you're really wanting to focus on the one variable in the blend that you haven't tried yet. Otherwise, you may not be able to figure out what each leaf is bringing to the blend. I think you'd be better off with a blend that keeps it simple: Virginias and latakia, with maybe a dose of additional orientals.
I'd suggest any of the following:
Butera Royal Vintage Latakia No. 1

Dan Tobacco London Blend #1000

Dunhill Standard Mixture

Germain Royal Jersey Original Latakia Mixture

McClelland No. 6 Oriental

McClelland Grand Orientals: Yenidje Highlander

GL Pease Ashbury
I would NOT recommend that you start with one of McClelland's Frog Morton series, which I'm sure some will suggest. The latakia in those blends is lightly sweetened and won't give you the most accurate picture of what a standard latakia mixture is like. (But they're definitely worth exploring; they're fantastic blends.)
Finally, I'll just say that if you never try latakia, you'll miss out on some of the most wonderful smoking experiences available. For me, the Balkan style -- with an emphasis on forward orientals and latakia, with Virginias in the far background -- delivers some of the richest, creamiest smokes available. Pease has the largest range of Balkans available today, but I'd suggest Caravan. And of course, latakia is a key ingredient in the blend I think is the best thing ever put in a tin: Penzance.
Bob

riskybusiness

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
London, UK
I can't think of any reason to smoke a stinky campfire.
One might ponder why you took up pipe smoking at all? I'm not saying that you do, but for argument's sake: If someone has a negative opinion of tobacco smoking, they could easily describe any and all smoking like a stinky campfire, as you put it.
Try it or don't. If you need convincing, then it sounds like you're not really interested. You're right about the hemming and hawing: It's not really a big deal... either you will like it or you don't. Babies won't die if you find that Latakia is not your friend. Then again, you might find that it's pretty good, and embark upon a lifetime of enjoyment.
If you are interested, just ask around. Don't you know anybody else who smokes? Why not attend a pipe event at your local tobacco shop? I'm sure you can find someone there who will give you a pinch of Nightcap, or some English blend with Latakia.
There's no point in stressing over which tin to buy: "Oh bother! Should I choose Peterson Old Dublin or G.L. Pease Lombard?" and then kicking yourself because you spent X dollars on something you don't like. If you don't like it, go back to Pipe Night at the olde tobacconist shoppe and trade your tin with someone else.
This kind of question is a bit like asking, "Someone convince me that swimming is fun?" Either you like swimming or you don't. There's no way to describe what swimming is like to someone who has never done it. It's a bit like describing color to a blind person.
"Do or do not, there is no try."

--Master Yoda

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Interesting comments - I guess I really should've asked "what do YOU like about latakia?" :)
I've been mostly smoking aros only because that's what the default seems to be when starting out. I also have several VA flakes jarred (which I like a bunch, but I'm still learning to properly load and smoke them; they'll get better I've no doubt), and I really like Peterson Irish Oak. So I guess I'm open to 'bout anything, I've just for some reason hesitated about latakia.
And I DO have tins of FMC and MB Plumcake waiting on empty jars, but as Bob noted these are something other than "straight" (for lack of a better word) English blends.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I actually like the question and the way that you framed it. I don't get the impression that you are actually asking "to be convinced" to try something you don't want to try but rather, you are asking for the positive aspects of the blend which you may have missed in reading the descriptions others have provided.
Is this a somewhat accurate reading? Something about the descriptions I've read is off-putting but, on the other hand, I too enjoy the drinks and foods you mentioned.
I, too, am curious as to what Latakia has to offer... and, I fully intend to satisfy my curiosity. I ordered Nightcap in this month's P&C special.
Not too long ago I would have winced at the idea of smoking anything at all. I tried cigs and cigars several times and found them mostly unpleasant. That said, I am SO GLAD that I tried the pipe as I find it absolutely delightful!
Please be sure to check back in and share your thoughts after you try it out.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Apatim, that's pretty much exactly the spirit I intended. :)
I'll probably pull the trigger on a couple of blends this afternoon, I'm going past the local Tinder Box (Dublin, OH); the proprietor there is a very serious pipe guy and English smoker.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
And I DO have tins of FMC and MB Plumcake waiting on empty jars, but as Bob noted these are something other than "straight" (for lack of a better word) English blends.
This might be JUST the reason to smoke these two blends... as they are more in your wheelhouse, and the Latakia component will be noticeable to you. This will give you the chance to assess how Latakia influences a blend, and then determine if you want to explore it further. Given that you don't want to spend $$ on a tobacco you might not love, I think you should smoke the two blends with Lat you already have in your cellar.
I love the savoury, smoky, peaty character that Latakia brings to a blend; aromatics and flavours that are reminiscent of Islay malts and burnt sugars.
-- Pat

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
grouchydog:
Since you've had Irish Oak, then you have some experience with perique. So Nightcap shouldn't throw you if you want that to be your first latakia experience. (It just wouldn't be my pick; I have a very low tolerance for nicotine, and Nightcap is too strong in that regard for me to enjoy it.)
To me, though, "What do YOU like about latakia?" is like asking, "What do you like about coffee?" Well, the flavor and the aroma and the warmth it brings. I mean, I like the flavor and aroma of latakia. It isn't any more complicated than that.
Regarding the Tinder Box: Sherlock's Choice would be an easy introduction to latakia, assuming it's still being sold. Connoisseur and Philosopher would be steps up with regard to overall blend quality and latakia presence. (I think Philosopher might be the most latakia-forward of all the TB blends. Again, assuming it's still being offered.) But I haven't been in a TB in over a decade; they have may have replaced these blends with others by this point.
Bob

riskybusiness

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
London, UK
With respect to the smoky quality of Latakia, I suppose that could be considered an oxymoron. Like, of course tobacco is smoky, I'm smoking it. But seriously though, I guess you could think of it this way:
Latakia is an Oriental tobacco that is sun-cured and then fire-cured. That's a loaded term however. It's like saying something is barbecued... if you know anyone who barbecues, like, seriously barbecues, then the way they do it is gong to be The Right Way and they way everyone else barbecues is going to be The Wrong Way. My point is there are many techniques of BBQ. Everyone has a favorite.
Getting back to Latakia, the loaded term "fire-cured" means that someone mixed up their own favorite blend of herbs and aromatic woods as the fuel. Some people might use more oak, some people might use more pine.
It's like BBQ, some people love grilling salmon on cedar planks. The smoky cedar wood gives a distinct aroma. Other people like sausages smoked with apple wood. Whatever you use as the smoking-agent is going to impart the unique characteristics of that wood.
In general, do you enjoy other smoky foods? I think you mentioned Scotch Whisky. That has a smoked-peat character. How about tea? Lapsang Souchong is a black tea with a smoky character. Er.. what else? Have you ever sprinkled Chipotle pepper on your meals? Chipotle is simply smoked jalapeño peppers. So if you like that, you probably enjoy smoky blends on your palate. How about smoked fish? Smoked meat?
Not to beat this horse to death, but if you enjoy a smoky character to anything, you'll probably enjoy Latakia.
Ok one more analogy...
Think of Virginias as a Vodka, and Latakia as a Gin. Gins are like value added vodka: Juniper berries, coriander, lemon, anise, fennel and angelica root are added during distillation to impart unique characteristics.
Here's a good reason to like Latakia: Somebody spent time and used their own two hands to personally craft a blend of flavors, which they thought added benefit to the regular version of something and felt that it would be pleasing to others. Like Gin, each maker has a different technique. You will probably find one that you like more. And if you don't like any, then at least you've had fun trying. :D

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Great commentary, Risky - thanks. And that's kind of what I'm starting to anticipate. What I liked most about the KFC cigar was the almost BBQ-y quality of the flavor and snork. Didn't truly taste like BBQ sauce or whatever, but there was a blend of sweetness, savoriness and smokiness that was, in combination, reminiscent of BBQ. I'd love to find that kind of essence in a pipe tobacco, whether or not it has the same actual flavor (which I'm sure it won't).
I feel like I am indeed trying to describe what coffee tastes like, or what purple looks like... :)

riskybusiness

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
London, UK
I feel like I am indeed trying to describe what coffee tastes like, or what purple looks like... [:)]
Definitely. It's hard to say whether or not you will like it, but I think you owe it to yourself to try it. Keep an open mind about it. Don't go into the experiencing thinking, "Well other people said it was good, and they're supposed to be experts or something, so I have to like it otherwise there's something wrong with me."
Really, it doesn't matter if other people like it; what matters is your palate and your tastebuds. Your opinion is the most important.
I recently listened to Pipes Magazine podcast #50 and the presenter had a great quote: "I am the world's leading expert on my own opinion."
haha, great stuff!
Just pretend you're having some kind of fancy-pants cheese for the first time. "Oh look, some Pewp du Chevre' how nice." Give it a taste. If it tastes like you're licking a goat who hasn't bathed for several months, then remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And if you do like it, well, bon appétit! You're on your way to a whole new range of experiences.
You never know until you try. :wink:

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Don't try Latakia! Its terrible stuff, just ignore my user name as well. Any Lat you find should be mailed to me for proper disposal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Latakia is a staple of English blends of which there is an extraordinary selection. I don't think you have to be

mainly an English blend smoker, or even have it in your rotation, but it is logical to try a few examples, so you'll

know if you like any of them. Buy small quantities and/or sample at pipe shops or pipe shows. If it's not for you,

no problem. Plenty of Forums members and others smoke entirely non-English tobaccos and blends. English

blends have a whole range of Lats, from almost imperceptible to mostly Lat. One of the most refined I've tried,

with moderate Lat, is Nat Sherman 536, now available in tins from smokingpipes.com.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I was like you, it took me a long time to work up the "nerve" to try latakia, the tin note quite frankly is rather off putting. However I have delved into FMC and Dunhill's EMP and enjoyed them to varying degrees. If you're looking for that sort of BBQ flavour than I would highly recommend Dunhill My Mixture 965 as that is the predominant taste I get from the tobacco. The tin note is definitely BBQ in nature and that flavour definitely comes through. It is more oriental forward with Latakia as a condiment but done in an artful full flavoured way.
Good Luck!
Brian

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I am currently smoking a bowl of 3 Oaks Syrian. Latakia is a port city in Syria and 3 Oaks is one of the few blends that uses Syrian Latakia. I enjoy the smooth smoky taste which almost reminds me of some cigars I've enjoyed in the past.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Well, just got back from Tinder Box. I figured there's no reason not to jump in with both feet, so here's the haul:
MM 965

Nightcap

Balkan Sobranie

Penzance
How'd I do? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.