Cigar Leaf Blends

(59 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by thesmokindragon
  • Latest reply from perdurabo
  1. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I have been working my way through some new ones I had been wanting to try out also breaking in a new Radice Rind Bulldog with them;

Cornell & Diehl: Billy Budd - An old fav of mine, revisited it not too long ago, still a great blend

C&D's Habana Daydream ~ A great blend, does have some kick to her. I think I put myself into a Nic coma yesterday smoking a full bowl in the Radice Bulldog - This is one of those blends that I will be adding several lbs to the cellar

GLP's Key Largo ~ Having my first smoke this afternoon in the Radice Bulldog again, another outstanding blend - as the description is spot on ; Deep, Earthy, and Creamy , beautifully balanced, richly textured layers of cocoa, dark roasted coffee, leather, and a lively, lingering finish. Another blend worth adding lbs to the cellar

on deck;
    C&D's Seersucker -
    GLP's Robusto -

Here is the Radice Rind Bulldog I'm breaking in with all these blends;

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. bigtex

bigtex

Login to Send PM

I recently purchased some McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro and continue to be pleasantly surprised every time I burn a bowl of it.

Making Pipe Smoking Great Again!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a big fan of cigar blends, especially in the summer, with Key Largo being an all time fav. But, for those who are cigar aficionados, don't expect a cigar blend to taste like a cigar. In a pipe, it's always it's own thing, very different from a cigar.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. leatherman

leatherman

Login to Send PM

I've been enjoying a tin of Dominican Glory Maduro as well, I quite like it. The tin aroma is so rich, and the smoke is dense and flavourful.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cos is right. When I first began smoking a pipe I had been a big cigar smoker so naturally I tried a few of the cigar blends. They don't taste anything like a cigar but I still enjoyed them. My favorite was Gl Pease Robusto, smoked a bunch of that.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. btp79

btp79

Login to Send PM

I just picked up a tin of Lane Andullo, it's well worth the $8 I paid for it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, if you like Robusto, you’ll go crazy for Key Largo. It’s the exact same as Robusto, except in a flake. It’s a staple for me on the beach or at the pool paired with a fruity tropical drink. Every time I smoke, I just expect to see bikinis. Pressing it does something magical to it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cos, I used to like Robusto and a lot of other English blends. I lost my taste for Latakia over a decade ago. Another one of my favorite English back in the day was Two Friends Deacons Downfall, that stuff was awesome to my tastes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cos, I used to like Robusto and a lot of other English blends. I lost my taste for Latakia over a decade ago. Another one of my favorite English back in the day was Two Friends Deacons Downfall, that stuff was awesome to my tastes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

I smoke Key Largo when I'm in a hot, humid environment. I never even noticed it had latakia in it until much later. That stuff is just amazing, in my opinion, if it's getting damn hot and you're looking for a full flavoured blend that pairs well with the heat.

For me, it's nothing like a cigar, but for the pipe, it's in a league of its own. I'll cry if it's taken from the shelves.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

JJ Fox and their Bankers Mixture is really good along with Robert Lewis and their Tree mixture. Both are well done with the addition of cigar leaf.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy crap, Mr English is alive and hopefully well. Nice to see you post again Mike. Looks like you took a year off like I did.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Harris. Yep, life has that way of mucking things up. Definitely have not given up the pipe! They have helped me keep what little sanity I have left. lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Howdy Mike, long time no see. I hope all is well.

Cigar baccys? Key Largo and Robusto which seem almost the same to me, with KL in big broken flake and Rob a smaller finer cut.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks brother. I hope things are well with you as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, totally understand.

Another English I used to smoke and enjoy was C&D Bayou Nights. I once aged it a good 7 or so years and it was really tasty.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldtoby

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ Mr. English,

Much agreed with you about Banker's. Also, think you mean Robert Lewis 123 Mixture instead of Tree Mixture.

On a side note, Glynn at GQ Tobaccos made a blend called Classic English that was a very good cigar leaf blend. Not sure it's available now.

Smoking can't be bad for you. It cures Salmon.

-Unknown-
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good catch, Oldtoby. That is it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried many cigar leaf blends, but Lewis 123 is a great one for sure.

Sutliff Navigator is another - kind of odd because it's an aro, but nice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

With all due respect, if you want a cigar blend just smoke a nice cigar. Brown #4 has a okay cigar thing going on. I have actually chopped down good cubans and added to blends or smoked straight but the charm and sweetness of a the cigar was not present when smoked in the pipe.

I smoke pipes for VA and VaPers and smoke a lot of cigars for their own merits.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

With all due respect, if you want a cigar blend just smoke a nice cigar.

Totally different thing. Good cigar blends use small amounts of the leaf to enhance the overall flavor - they're not intended to replace cigars or emulate the flavor. With this logic, you might as well say "If you want a VaBur, just smoke a cigarette."

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I have smoked cigars for over 20 years and a cigar leaf blend "done" by master blenders is an entirely different thing - as others have said the small amount of cigar leaf added in just the right amounts adds depth and a nice creamy finish - I don't taste any cigar in either C&D's Habana Daydream or Key Largo, just a nice deep, earthy smoke with a creamy finish. Don't shy away from these blends thinking they will taste anything like a cigar because they do not.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The TAD is rage'in right now with the new blends tried ; have online cart setup right now with a few lbs of both C&D's Habana Daydream as well as GLP's Key Largo -

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

The best I had was Sobranie of London - Virginian No.10, very close to a flavorful cigar in a pipe, but of course not a cigar. The balance between cigar leaf and other tobaccos is very hard to obtain. C&D Billy Budd is my favorite so far, I still have to try Habana Daydream, Robusto and Key Largo.

I'm experimenting with Golden Virginias, Red Virginias, Perique and Cuban cigar leaf. What I know so far, the less cigar leaf the better, there's a sweet spot to reach. Too much cigar leaf, it becomes harsh even ashy and the flavors from the other tobaccos are negated. Just enough, it adds creaminess, earthiness and more body.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldtoby

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Totally agree, Lazar. Good cigar leaf blends are not intended to be like a cigar by itself.

I've found that Maduro or Double Maduro cigars sliced thin make for the best when blending. You can taste it much more than mild light brown wrappers and fillers. YMMV.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cigar leaf isn't for a cigar experience if you use it as pipe tobacco. But it lends its own special yin to a blend. I think a jar of bulk cigar leaf, such as C&D, is a fine option when you want a little spin on a bowl of something else, and it makes a nice single-leaf when you have that flavor in mind. Yes, if you want a good cigar, smoke a good cigar; it's a lovely experience and separate from the pipe experience. But don't overlook cigar leaf as a single leaf or as a condiment in a blend. It's not a cigar substitute, but a whole separate thing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love my cigars when I can afford them. (Good cubans are not cheap in CANADA). But Key Largo is a killer cigar leaf blend. Another blend with cigar leaf that I like a lot is John Patton's Storm Front.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I was going to add Cuban leaf to a blend, I would most definitely use the wrapper as that is where much of the flavor is in a cigar. The reason I smoked Lonsdales, Panatela's and Lanceros was for the wrapper to filler ratio. One of my favorite cigars was an Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Lancero, that Cameroon wrapper on a thin cigar was quite tasty.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. samw74

samw74

Login to Send PM

Last summer, I smoked these 'cigar leaf' blends:

H&H Virginia Spice, Planta Full English, McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro and C&D Habana Daydream. My favorite was Habana Daydream. I have a tin of Key Largo for the summer. I want to try the following:

H&H Virginia Memory #10
    GLP Robusto
    Peretti Cuban Mixture

And if I can ever find it: Sobranie of London Virginia no. 10

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm also really enjoying both C&D's Habana Daydream and GLP's Key Largo - enough so that a few lbs of each are on the way - I'm blasting through these two / 2oz tins like mad.

The blends IMO are very different, to me HD has some rough edges ( tin age is about 1yr ) , which is ok , I like that but Key Largo is better balanced and just super smooth and has that nice creamy finish on it...both blends are outstanding.

I have a tin of C&D's Seersucker on deck for this weekend as well to try out.

Both blends for me have been smoking great in larger diameter bowls (.79 - .83 ) with about 1.2 - 1.5" on chamber depth - be careful as their power does sneak up and build on you and then POW!

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The smoke from cigar leaf, which is a specially fermented tobacco, is oily, heavier than most other tobaccos, and has a different feel on the tongue. Added to an aromatic, it gives it a kick in strength, but also makes the aromatic flavor "stick" to your mouth more, and has a heavier feel to it. I also love it added to a McClelland Virginia :::sigh::: and added to a VaPer it seems to sweeten or make it more earthy depending on the cigar varietal. Madura is my favorite, but Connecticut and Craibe can do some interesting things to a Virginia as well.

I do like cigars, but the sum of the cigar flavor/experience is the leaf touching your lips. Putting it in a briar, and adding the aroma of warm briar makes it something totally different. Like smoking the latakia cigars that Russ makes, doesn't taste like latakia, at least pipe latakia. If someone wants something closer to a cigar experience in their pipe, I highly recommend Semois or C&D Burley Flake #1. It is not exactly the cigar experience, but it has the same notes as a robust madura or Philippian cigar. If you are an aficionado that only knows to say, "Cubans are the best," (I would put you in the Polly wants a cracker category) then you probably should just stick to Cubans. I've had a few Cubans, and... well, I stick to enjoying the many other cigars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

So far, I loved reading through all the comments and suggestions for tobacco blends. I tend to not like an overpowering Latakia component, and I'm leery about trying out cigar-leaf blends that are too Lat-forward. This proviso eliminates many blends. I just ordered a sample size of "Storm Front" and "Dark and Stormy" so I can compare these professional blends with the cigar-leaf mixture that I made from some bulk tobaccos.

It's fun to try out different blends. I wish I could magically buy -just a bowlful of each, just to try them all.

Frank
    NYC

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am not a fan of any blend that is out of balance. I tried really hard to like Billy Bud. It had the strength that I like, but it just tasted to me like a wagon with a missing wheel drives, never going where I want and nearly throwing my ass out of the seat repeatedly and constantly. Maybe for someone who just loves latakia to the extreme...

Key Largo has the balance that Robusto doesn't, IMO. Pressing it does something to push the latakia further to the backseat, making it a very subtle spice, rather than the maniac driver. Maybe even locking it in the trunk with a gag in it's mouth, ha ha.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I noticed the same about Billy Budd, I smoked a lot of it back in the day - I'm sure glad I got to try other blends like HD and KL , there is no turning back now...MUHAHAHA

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So far, Virginia Spice is my goto VaPer cigar blend. I have yet to try Habana Daydream, can anyone tell me how they compare in flavor?

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

thefishguy

Login to Send PM

Don't overlook Country Lawyer. This is an interesting blend, almost a Latakia free English. It's a must try.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Get some cigar leaf blending tobacco and add it to other blends or single leaf when you have the yin for it. Always makes for a pleasing change of pace.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. kiel

Kiel

Login to Send PM

Last year at the Chicago show they had samples of Country Lawyer and Gray Ghost. They were fun to try. Seersucker sounds like Country lawyer pressed into a crumble cake.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. civalwar

civalwar

Login to Send PM

I like Billy Bud

My ex-wife told me it's either me or your pipe collection. I considered that a win-win.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  41. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few tins of Billy Budd Blonde on the way this week - excited to try it out

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. luigi

luigi

Login to Send PM

I opened my first tin of Billy Budd yesterday and tried a bowl. Loved its strength but it surely wasn't the sweetest tasting smoke. I also noticed it leaves a very strong room note. My taste is widely open to anything so I think I'll enjoy it a lot.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agree Luigi, I was hoping for a little more sweet with the Blonde version - I will say that I do get subtle creamy sweetness with GLP's Key Largo

I have a tin of C&D's Seersucker on deck to try and others have made comments that it reminded them of Key Largo but with a little more sweet.

Also, while not having any cigar leaf in the blend GLP's JackKnife PLug does have that nice bold flavor that reminds me of a good cigar but does have that nice creamy sweetness to it

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Billy Budd great, looking forward to trying to Blonde version.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

now as we talking about cigar leaf, could anybody tell me what is so-called Ligeros and Criollo tabacos , In the past recall smoking Cuban cigarettes called Ligeros and Popularne, both were magnificent.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the cigar world you have three types of fillers that make up your blend;

Ligero - Ligero leaf is thicker and stronger than Seco , it is the power / strength of a cigar
    Seco - Seco is what gives the cigar its aroma
    Volado - is the thinner of the leaves and is used as the fuel/burn

Criollo means “native seed,” and may also be described as “Havana-seed.” In Cuba, the word means a Cuban leaf grown on Cuban soil.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

I managed to grab a few big tins of McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro a few weeks ago prior to the Great McClelland Mad Scramble Hoardathon of 2018.
    I plan to put these up for awhile and was curious to see if anybody had feedback on aging this blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

Virginia Spice is a favorite cigar blend of mine but it is not as detectable as it is in Billy Budd. I read somewhere that Virginia Spice was not supposed to be a cigar blend in the beginning, but Russ was unsatisfied with the volume of smoke produced by just the VaPer, so he tossed in some Maduro Leaf and that made all the difference. When I want to really taste the cigar leaf, I grab for Billy Budd.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank You dear mr TheSmokindragon for the added information.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipesticks, thanks for mentioning Hearth and Home's Virginia Spice. I love that VaPer, and if no one told me that there was cigar leaf in there, I would never know. It adds a very subtle touch of spice, and the mouth feel of the smoke is great, very heavy on the tongue, without adding a heaviness to the taste, like a light, fruity VaPer, but with a heavy feeling to it. It's one of Russ's greatest works, IMO.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

thefishguy

Login to Send PM

I tried Billy Budd blonde today in a Morgan bones poker that had only been smoked once before. To me, it seemed both need some aging. The Virginias were just a tad sharp, otherwise its an enjoyable blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

Read through all the postings so far, with great interest. Thanks for all the information.

My first choice for a "condimental" tobacco is cigar-leaf. I use it to punch up and add some complexity to many of the ho-hum blends that are offered. It works wonders, and I like the thicker, creamy, smoke feel that it adds to many blends, without altering the original flavors - when used in smaller amounts. It's like the cigar-leaf is there, but then, it's not there..... Almost unnoticed.

However, I having a hard time finding some different choices when it comes to the type of cigar-leaf that's offered as a "blending" tobacco. I have found Pennsylvania Maduro. For personal-blend mixing, I've used cigar "trimmings" -that I bought at a local shop that specializes in making hand-rolled cigars- but I have no idea what kind of cigar tobacco were used in those trimmings. I asked the hand-roller to sell me some "mild cigar-leaf", so who knows what I bought, but it does work well in my homemade cigar-leaf mixture.

So, where can I find different kinds of cigar-leaf that can be used for blending into pipe tobacco? Will I have to buy whole-leaf, and shred it myself?

Just asking.

Frank
    NYC

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

buying the leaf is a good idea, and if you call them, they may even work up a sample pack of different types. McConnells Pure Caribe is one that I cannot smoke by itself, but is an excellent blending condiment also. There are some out there. I am curious about using ligero with dark fired Kentucky and Virginia.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

Cos....thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

Frank
    NYC

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

Leaf Only.com

Whole Leaf.com

Both sell various types of blending leaf.

Now, I have too many choices! Either feast, or, famine..... :))

Frank
    NYC

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like C&D Purple Cow, just a splash of Latakia. Perfect.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  57. samw74

samw74

Login to Send PM

I have a tin of Billy Bud Blonde, and I'm curious to see it's reception. One person mentioned they found the Virginias rough, and could benefit from aging. This is not unusual for C&D blends. I've noticed a tremendous difference in several blends after 6+ months.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like their Virgins. I hope to have 1000's waiting for me when I reach the promise land. Let's hope they don't turn into raisins.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^^That was going somewhere until auto correct stepped in. Then I had to exploit it.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   milehighpiper, pipestud, tuold, sholto, jaytex969, elbert, philobeddoe, dcon, ashdigger, pitchfork, jiminks, rodo, danimalia, jfred, gandalfspipe, crawdad, oldgeezersmoker, cshubhra, ormazd, ben88, cigrmaster, jrbjr