PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
With all due respect, if you want a cigar blend just smoke a nice cigar.
Totally different thing. Good cigar blends use small amounts of the leaf to enhance the overall flavor - they're not intended to replace cigars or emulate the flavor. With this logic, you might as well say "If you want a VaBur, just smoke a cigarette."

Jul 12, 2011
Yeah, I have smoked cigars for over 20 years and a cigar leaf blend "done" by master blenders is an entirely different thing - as others have said the small amount of cigar leaf added in just the right amounts adds depth and a nice creamy finish - I don't taste any cigar in either C&D's Habana Daydream or Key Largo, just a nice deep, earthy smoke with a creamy finish. Don't shy away from these blends thinking they will taste anything like a cigar because they do not.

Jul 12, 2011
The TAD is rage'in right now with the new blends tried ; have online cart setup right now with a few lbs of both C&D's Habana Daydream as well as GLP's Key Largo - :worship:

Mar 29, 2016
The best I had was Sobranie of London - Virginian No.10, very close to a flavorful cigar in a pipe, but of course not a cigar. The balance between cigar leaf and other tobaccos is very hard to obtain. C&D Billy Budd is my favorite so far, I still have to try Habana Daydream, Robusto and Key Largo.
I'm experimenting with Golden Virginias, Red Virginias, Perique and Cuban cigar leaf. What I know so far, the less cigar leaf the better, there's a sweet spot to reach. Too much cigar leaf, it becomes harsh even ashy and the flavors from the other tobaccos are negated. Just enough, it adds creaminess, earthiness and more body.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Totally agree, Lazar. Good cigar leaf blends are not intended to be like a cigar by itself.
I've found that Maduro or Double Maduro cigars sliced thin make for the best when blending. You can taste it much more than mild light brown wrappers and fillers. YMMV.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cigar leaf isn't for a cigar experience if you use it as pipe tobacco. But it lends its own special yin to a blend. I think a jar of bulk cigar leaf, such as C&D, is a fine option when you want a little spin on a bowl of something else, and it makes a nice single-leaf when you have that flavor in mind. Yes, if you want a good cigar, smoke a good cigar; it's a lovely experience and separate from the pipe experience. But don't overlook cigar leaf as a single leaf or as a condiment in a blend. It's not a cigar substitute, but a whole separate thing.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Love my cigars when I can afford them. (Good cubans are not cheap in CANADA). But Key Largo is a killer cigar leaf blend. Another blend with cigar leaf that I like a lot is John Patton's Storm Front.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I was going to add Cuban leaf to a blend, I would most definitely use the wrapper as that is where much of the flavor is in a cigar. The reason I smoked Lonsdales, Panatela's and Lanceros was for the wrapper to filler ratio. One of my favorite cigars was an Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Lancero, that Cameroon wrapper on a thin cigar was quite tasty.

Reactions: Pappy Coon

samw74

Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
Last summer, I smoked these 'cigar leaf' blends:
H&H Virginia Spice, Planta Full English, McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro and C&D Habana Daydream. My favorite was Habana Daydream. I have a tin of Key Largo for the summer. I want to try the following:
H&H Virginia Memory #10

GLP Robusto

Peretti Cuban Mixture
And if I can ever find it: Sobranie of London Virginia no. 10

Jul 12, 2011
I'm also really enjoying both C&D's Habana Daydream and GLP's Key Largo - enough so that a few lbs of each are on the way - I'm blasting through these two / 2oz tins like mad.
The blends IMO are very different, to me HD has some rough edges ( tin age is about 1yr ) , which is ok , I like that but Key Largo is better balanced and just super smooth and has that nice creamy finish on it...both blends are outstanding.
I have a tin of C&D's Seersucker on deck for this weekend as well to try out.
Both blends for me have been smoking great in larger diameter bowls (.79 - .83 ) with about 1.2 - 1.5" on chamber depth - be careful as their power does sneak up and build on you and then POW!

The smoke from cigar leaf, which is a specially fermented tobacco, is oily, heavier than most other tobaccos, and has a different feel on the tongue. Added to an aromatic, it gives it a kick in strength, but also makes the aromatic flavor "stick" to your mouth more, and has a heavier feel to it. I also love it added to a McClelland Virginia :::sigh::: and added to a VaPer it seems to sweeten or make it more earthy depending on the cigar varietal. Madura is my favorite, but Connecticut and Craibe can do some interesting things to a Virginia as well.
I do like cigars, but the sum of the cigar flavor/experience is the leaf touching your lips. Putting it in a briar, and adding the aroma of warm briar makes it something totally different. Like smoking the latakia cigars that Russ makes, doesn't taste like latakia, at least pipe latakia. If someone wants something closer to a cigar experience in their pipe, I highly recommend Semois or C&D Burley Flake #1. It is not exactly the cigar experience, but it has the same notes as a robust madura or Philippian cigar. If you are an aficionado that only knows to say, "Cubans are the best," (I would put you in the Polly wants a cracker category) then you probably should just stick to Cubans. I've had a few Cubans, and... well, I stick to enjoying the many other cigars.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
So far, I loved reading through all the comments and suggestions for tobacco blends. I tend to not like an overpowering Latakia component, and I'm leery about trying out cigar-leaf blends that are too Lat-forward. This proviso eliminates many blends. I just ordered a sample size of "Storm Front" and "Dark and Stormy" so I can compare these professional blends with the cigar-leaf mixture that I made from some bulk tobaccos.
It's fun to try out different blends. I wish I could magically buy -just a bowlful of each, just to try them all.
Frank

NYC

I am not a fan of any blend that is out of balance. I tried really hard to like Billy Bud. It had the strength that I like, but it just tasted to me like a wagon with a missing wheel drives, never going where I want and nearly throwing my ass out of the seat repeatedly and constantly. Maybe for someone who just loves latakia to the extreme...
Key Largo has the balance that Robusto doesn't, IMO. Pressing it does something to push the latakia further to the backseat, making it a very subtle spice, rather than the maniac driver. Maybe even locking it in the trunk with a gag in it's mouth, ha ha.

Jul 12, 2011
I noticed the same about Billy Budd, I smoked a lot of it back in the day - I'm sure glad I got to try other blends like HD and KL , there is no turning back now...MUHAHAHA

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
Don't overlook Country Lawyer. This is an interesting blend, almost a Latakia free English. It's a must try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Get some cigar leaf blending tobacco and add it to other blends or single leaf when you have the yin for it. Always makes for a pleasing change of pace.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Last year at the Chicago show they had samples of Country Lawyer and Gray Ghost. They were fun to try. Seersucker sounds like Country lawyer pressed into a crumble cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.