Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Change is Good

(25 posts)
  1. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am going through the midlife tobacco change. I realize it. I feel it. Over the past year I have gravitated almost exclusively to Virgina and VaPor flakes. This is from a die hard English/Latakia guy in the past.

I knew the change was real today when I got an email from SPC that Old Ironsides was in stock. Although I have plenty already, my knee jerk reaction was to put some in my cart. But I waited an hour to think it over, because it just gave me pause. Then, one hour later I went to pull the trigger and it was all gone.

And the moral of the story . . . I was completely fine with that.

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

Howdy! fellow Vaperhead!

Lat blends for me are once a week if that! VA and Vapers have always been my go to blends!

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I totally lost my taste for English blends more than a decade ago. I honestly don't remember how it happened or exactly when but one day it was just nasty tasting and I sold all my English blends in 2012.

I remember when I was smoking English blends and I tried Old Ironsides. That was the most Latakia I had ever encountered in a blend and I ended up giving that tin away. It was way too much for my tastes.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

spugni

Login to Send PM

My tastes change every so often. I used to smoke mostly English blends. For the past 10 months or so I have been all about va/pers and straight virginias. Now I am picking up the Englishes again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarbuda48

Login to Send PM

I really wish I could settle on a handful of tobacco's and stick with them. I simply cannot do it. I guess that is what makes this hobby so much fun and fasinating. I like them all. Sometimes it's an aromatic. Other times it's a latakia flake. Here lately though the vaper's have been hitting me; Escudo, Firestorm, Salty Dog ect.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

I am with you on the change. I think I overdid it with latakia. I have so many lat blends now and although I still love them I prefer a sweet virginia or a nice VaPer. I am loving burleys and might as well throw oriental in the mix. Hell I am to the point that I prefer blends that aren't aromatics and don't have latakia. I will always love latakia but not all day or even every day. I could smoke 5100 all day every day with Stonehaven in between lol.

Nate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I settled on straight VA's and some specific English, particularly Dunhill 965 and Nightcap.

I bought a couple of Aro's recently and was a bit surprised at how underwhelming they were compared to good 'ol VA flakes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. jeffro

jeffro

Login to Send PM

With me I go in fazes.
    For example during the winter I smoked mostly Balkans or English blends with an occational aeromatic to change things up a bit.
    Now that it getting much warmer with spring coming on. I have been mostly smoking Virginia based blends with a couple VaPer's in the mix. It is fastenating how our tastes can change over time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got sick of Latakia forward blends also. The only blend I smoke now that has Latakia in it is 965 and it's in the background. I really got to love straight Virginia's more than anything. When i'm not smoking them it's VaPers and VaBurs. I think a lot of smokers take that same route...starting out with heavy Lats, then changing to Va's........I don't smoke any aro's whatsoever...

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I'm not there yet. I like veriety and right now there isn't a type of tobacco I don't like. Each one has its place. I like aromatics, I like English/Balkans, I like Virginias and VaPers etc. Just depend on the mood I am in. FYI Cup O Joes currently has Old Ironsides

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

I still enjoy an occasional Latakia or Burley blend but but once Virgina and Virginia/Perique blends clicked for me they became my all day everyday smoke. With how rarely I smoke Latakia and Burley blends I doubt I'll ever have to buy anymore to enjoy an occasional bowl based on what is already in my cellar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

This last order of Vintage Syrian is pretty much it for me buying latakia blends. I've got way more latakia in the cellar than I want now. From now on, I'm concentrating on cellaring VA's, VaPers, Orientals. I've also got a ton of burleys cellared and still smoke them regularly. I pretty much skipped over much of the typical beginner goopy aromatic phase and find myself reaching for and enjoying the lighter aromatics more these days.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Va/Per and Va's are my go to's. I like a good English or Balkan blend every now and then, but I have to be in the mood.
    Last winter I was smoking up a Latakia storm and progressed back into Va's in the spring. This winter I waited for my tastes to change, and nothing. I kept smoking Virginia's even when it was snowing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't mind English blends but not if they're latakia forward. I bought a tin of Nightcap thinking I should give it a try to see if I wanted to cellar some. It wasn't bad but it didn't really trip my trigger either. I like English blends where the Latakia is more of a condiment.

Aside from that, Virginias and VaPers make up 70% of my smoking with the English Orientals and Balkans filling the rest.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The English blend is my very favorite, probably the reason why I picked up the pipe again a few years back. I tend to over do it with the latakia, though, and that's when I need to take a break. I appreciate a good vrignia, vaper, vabur, but I still smoke English on a regular basis ... maybe I need to let some time slide under the bridge, to get sick of it for good.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mutant post

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Me too. Lat blends have become a rare treat for me. Nightcap once or twice a month and Red Rap even less. Va flakes and va/pers have been the thing for a while, but recently I've begun to fall in love with dark fired leaf as well. So ATM my preferences are va, va/per and dark fired. No midlife crisis here, just ever evolving tastes and understanding.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can remember many months ago reading a post where the guy said he didn't care for Lat blends anymore and he just smoked Virginia's. At the time I was smoking mostly heavy Lat blends like Pirate Kake, Old Ironsides etc. and thought this guy must be nuts. Ironically that is exactly where I am today......

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

That was probably me. I got burned out on them to the point that I can no longer tell the difference between Pirate Kake and Penzance.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. Is this the anti-english blend thread??

I smoke English/Balkan almost exclusively. Did 50 years ago, do so now.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. elvergun

elvergun

Login to Send PM

I'm also one of those who is gravitating from English blends to VaPers and Virginias. Still enjoy a good dose of Latakia now and then.

You can't go wrong with Nightcap, Artisan's Blend or Plum Pudding...but nothing beats Beacon Extra, Scottish Cake or Escudo.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

There was a time, when I discovered them, that English mixtures were my go to. I also realized that there's nothing left for fullness and flavor wise, after Latakia. The Va, Va/Per flakes that I discovered before the English/Balkans, were easy to go back to after my foray into the Latakia leaf.

I still enjoy Latakia mixtures, I have a few favorites: J. F. Germain & Son - Germain's Special Latakia Flake and King Charles Smoking Mixture. G. L. Pease - Abingdon (Classic Collection) and Cornell & Diehl - Pirate Kake (Sea Scoundrels. They all represent variations on the same Latakia theme. Also I prefer to smoke them in cold weather, late evening or when making BBQ.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think many of us migrate around among the genres of blends. I tend to vary blends enough that I don't completely leave a category, but I certainly vary the rotation a lot. I have 'some of everything' in my rotation. I do give extra points to the blenders who 1) don't put Latakia and/or Perique in nearly all their blends, 2) use Orientals, Turkish, cigar leaf and more unusual condiments creatively, 3) use Cavendish effectively as a condiment, 4) pay attention to burley and include it where it works. There are many other such touches that lend to originality in blending. I've come back to aromatics as a change of pace, and I now realize that aromatics can be a high art if they bring out the unique flavors of the various tobaccos and don't just shovel flavoring at you. I sense that English blends have improved since the Lat-bomb concept has somewhat faded. And as Forums members know, a good burley blend or single-leaf always brings me back.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I also realized that there's nothing left for fullness and flavor wise, after Latakia.

Have you smoked Black XX Twist?

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I smoked English/Balkan/Oriental blends for years and finally just got sick of them. About 4 years ago I began exclusively smoking Virginia and Va/Per blends. The very thought of Latakia made me nauseous. I've gradually reintroduced a few mild English blends back into occasional use, one's where the Latakia is more of a condiment. I'm finding that well aged English blends are most enjoyable. A couple of days ago, a friend sent me a sample of some Rattray's 7 Reserve, made when McConnell was still blending for Rattrays and it was one of the best smokes I've had in ages. I have a few old tins of Red Rapparee and Accountant's Blend from the early '90's that I'll be giving a go.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cigrmaster, acidpox, alaskanpiper, anthonyrosenthal74, greeneyes, jiminks, glassjapan, tbradsim1, spartacus, madox07, mrenglish, danimalia, condorlover1