PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
I'm also one of those who is gravitating from English blends to VaPers and Virginias. Still enjoy a good dose of Latakia now and then.
You can't go wrong with Nightcap, Artisan's Blend or Plum Pudding...but nothing beats Beacon Extra, Scottish Cake or Escudo.

Mar 29, 2016
There was a time, when I discovered them, that English mixtures were my go to. I also realized that there's nothing left for fullness and flavor wise, after Latakia. The Va, Va/Per flakes that I discovered before the English/Balkans, were easy to go back to after my foray into the Latakia leaf.
I still enjoy Latakia mixtures, I have a few favorites: J. F. Germain & Son - Germain's Special Latakia Flake and King Charles Smoking Mixture. G. L. Pease - Abingdon (Classic Collection) and Cornell & Diehl - Pirate Kake (Sea Scoundrels. They all represent variations on the same Latakia theme. Also I prefer to smoke them in cold weather, late evening or when making BBQ.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think many of us migrate around among the genres of blends. I tend to vary blends enough that I don't completely leave a category, but I certainly vary the rotation a lot. I have 'some of everything' in my rotation. I do give extra points to the blenders who 1) don't put Latakia and/or Perique in nearly all their blends, 2) use Orientals, Turkish, cigar leaf and more unusual condiments creatively, 3) use Cavendish effectively as a condiment, 4) pay attention to burley and include it where it works. There are many other such touches that lend to originality in blending. I've come back to aromatics as a change of pace, and I now realize that aromatics can be a high art if they bring out the unique flavors of the various tobaccos and don't just shovel flavoring at you. I sense that English blends have improved since the Lat-bomb concept has somewhat faded. And as Forums members know, a good burley blend or single-leaf always brings me back.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I smoked English/Balkan/Oriental blends for years and finally just got sick of them. About 4 years ago I began exclusively smoking Virginia and Va/Per blends. The very thought of Latakia made me nauseous. I've gradually reintroduced a few mild English blends back into occasional use, one's where the Latakia is more of a condiment. I'm finding that well aged English blends are most enjoyable. A couple of days ago, a friend sent me a sample of some Rattray's 7 Reserve, made when McConnell was still blending for Rattrays and it was one of the best smokes I've had in ages. I have a few old tins of Red Rapparee and Accountant's Blend from the early '90's that I'll be giving a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.