PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I am going through the midlife tobacco change. I realize it. I feel it. Over the past year I have gravitated almost exclusively to Virgina and VaPor flakes. This is from a die hard English/Latakia guy in the past.
I knew the change was real today when I got an email from SPC that Old Ironsides was in stock. Although I have plenty already, my knee jerk reaction was to put some in my cart. But I waited an hour to think it over, because it just gave me pause. Then, one hour later I went to pull the trigger and it was all gone.
And the moral of the story . . . I was completely fine with that.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Howdy! fellow Vaperhead!
Lat blends for me are once a week if that! VA and Vapers have always been my go to blends!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I totally lost my taste for English blends more than a decade ago. I honestly don't remember how it happened or exactly when but one day it was just nasty tasting and I sold all my English blends in 2012.
I remember when I was smoking English blends and I tried Old Ironsides. That was the most Latakia I had ever encountered in a blend and I ended up giving that tin away. It was way too much for my tastes.

spugni

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2017
Long Island, NY
My tastes change every so often. I used to smoke mostly English blends. For the past 10 months or so I have been all about va/pers and straight virginias. Now I am picking up the Englishes again.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I really wish I could settle on a handful of tobacco's and stick with them. I simply cannot do it. I guess that is what makes this hobby so much fun and fasinating. I like them all. Sometimes it's an aromatic. Other times it's a latakia flake. Here lately though the vaper's have been hitting me; Escudo, Firestorm, Salty Dog ect.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I am with you on the change. I think I overdid it with latakia. I have so many lat blends now and although I still love them I prefer a sweet virginia or a nice VaPer. I am loving burleys and might as well throw oriental in the mix. Hell I am to the point that I prefer blends that aren't aromatics and don't have latakia. I will always love latakia but not all day or even every day. I could smoke 5100 all day every day with Stonehaven in between lol.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I settled on straight VA's and some specific English, particularly Dunhill 965 and Nightcap.
I bought a couple of Aro's recently and was a bit surprised at how underwhelming they were compared to good 'ol VA flakes.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
With me I go in fazes.

For example during the winter I smoked mostly Balkans or English blends with an occational aeromatic to change things up a bit.

Now that it getting much warmer with spring coming on. I have been mostly smoking Virginia based blends with a couple VaPer's in the mix. It is fastenating how our tastes can change over time.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I got sick of Latakia forward blends also. The only blend I smoke now that has Latakia in it is 965 and it's in the background. I really got to love straight Virginia's more than anything. When i'm not smoking them it's VaPers and VaBurs. I think a lot of smokers take that same route...starting out with heavy Lats, then changing to Va's........I don't smoke any aro's whatsoever...

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Well, I'm not there yet. I like veriety and right now there isn't a type of tobacco I don't like. Each one has its place. I like aromatics, I like English/Balkans, I like Virginias and VaPers etc. Just depend on the mood I am in. FYI Cup O Joes currently has Old Ironsides

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I still enjoy an occasional Latakia or Burley blend but but once Virgina and Virginia/Perique blends clicked for me they became my all day everyday smoke. With how rarely I smoke Latakia and Burley blends I doubt I'll ever have to buy anymore to enjoy an occasional bowl based on what is already in my cellar.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
This last order of Vintage Syrian is pretty much it for me buying latakia blends. I've got way more latakia in the cellar than I want now. From now on, I'm concentrating on cellaring VA's, VaPers, Orientals. I've also got a ton of burleys cellared and still smoke them regularly. I pretty much skipped over much of the typical beginner goopy aromatic phase and find myself reaching for and enjoying the lighter aromatics more these days.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Va/Per and Va's are my go to's. I like a good English or Balkan blend every now and then, but I have to be in the mood.

Last winter I was smoking up a Latakia storm and progressed back into Va's in the spring. This winter I waited for my tastes to change, and nothing. I kept smoking Virginia's even when it was snowing.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't mind English blends but not if they're latakia forward. I bought a tin of Nightcap thinking I should give it a try to see if I wanted to cellar some. It wasn't bad but it didn't really trip my trigger either. I like English blends where the Latakia is more of a condiment.
Aside from that, Virginias and VaPers make up 70% of my smoking with the English Orientals and Balkans filling the rest.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
The English blend is my very favorite, probably the reason why I picked up the pipe again a few years back. I tend to over do it with the latakia, though, and that's when I need to take a break. I appreciate a good vrignia, vaper, vabur, but I still smoke English on a regular basis ... maybe I need to let some time slide under the bridge, to get sick of it for good.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Me too. Lat blends have become a rare treat for me. Nightcap once or twice a month and Red Rap even less. Va flakes and va/pers have been the thing for a while, but recently I've begun to fall in love with dark fired leaf as well. So ATM my preferences are va, va/per and dark fired. No midlife crisis here, just ever evolving tastes and understanding.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
I can remember many months ago reading a post where the guy said he didn't care for Lat blends anymore and he just smoked Virginia's. At the time I was smoking mostly heavy Lat blends like Pirate Kake, Old Ironsides etc. and thought this guy must be nuts. Ironically that is exactly where I am today......

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That was probably me. I got burned out on them to the point that I can no longer tell the difference between Pirate Kake and Penzance.

Status
Not open for further replies.