banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:   

Buying Everclear Around DC

(27 posts)
  1. khartman

khartman

Login to Send PM

So I live in northern VA and found that neither MD or VA sell everclear. VA says it's not illegal to have, just that the ABC stores don't sell it. I tried using vodka to clean some of my estate pipes, not really getting the job done on some with lots of build up. I also noticed you can't get it in PA, which I travel to for my Fiancé's family. There's a possibility I can get it in DC, I think I found a store that sells the following. Now I think this is the Wisconsin everclear thats the 190 proof full blown moonshine, though it's been awhile since I had it in college back in MN.

https://www.magrudersofdc.com/spirits/Everclear-Grain-Alcohol-w3049677fa

Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In Maryland you can buy something called "Club 190" it is 189 proof and is the same as Everclear, just 1 proof below the magic number of 190.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know it makes some people uneasy, but I use isopropyl alcohol. Yes it's toxic if you drink it, but in small amounts (less than 1ml) your body metabolises it normally into acetone, which is also a natural byproduct of other processes in your body.
    This stuff is intended to be rubbed on the skin, and it will evaporate cleanly. As long as you don't splash it all over yourself it should be fine.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. khartman

khartman

Login to Send PM

Will the isopropyl be strong enough to be used in a salt/alcohol cleaning?

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

VA limit is 101 proof. Apparently Violin restorers are bent in Maryland.

"Everclear, and all 190-proof liquor, is now banned.
    And who, in the state of Maryland, is most upset?
    The people who make violins.
    While the ban’s intended audience, binge-drinking college kids, has an endless variety of alcoholic substances to consume, violin makers in Maryland depend on 190-proof grain alcohol to create varnishes used in making and restoring their instruments."...
    “I can understand why they want to outlaw it,” Anderson said. “I just wish they made an exception for people in the arts.”
    In Virginia, where any alcohol higher than 101 proof is illegal to sell, an exception for nonbeverage uses such as for medicine or machinery cleaning, was written into the law. In Maryland, no mention of an exception or special permit was included in the ban...And that’s what the partyers will have to make do with now. Unless, of course, they plan a road trip to Delaware — perhaps hitching a ride with a violin maker"
    http://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/currents/maryland-s-crackdown-on-grain-alcohol-hits-violin-makers-bakers/article_40bb18be-299b-11e4-8a53-0017a43b2370.html

Pipe cleaning should count as an exception in Virginia one would think. We Can't get it here either. It is very useful to have around if you are an armchair survival nut like me, many uses aside from getting basted.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. beastkhk

beastkhk

Login to Send PM

I have had success with Bacardi 151.

Though, per earlier post you may not be able to get in VA either due to the laws.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The 190 proof limit in Maryland is why someone came up with the "Club 190" which is actually 189 proof and thus legal in Maryland

When I used to play the violin I never felt the need to drink hard liquor anyway!

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+2 on the 151 Rum. It also has some flavor to it...not much.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. oklansas

oklansas

Login to Send PM

@khartman,

I can confirm that you can get Everclear in DC. Purchased it several bottles over the years. But, if you are looking for a grain liquor for cleaning your pipes, I would suggest Gem Clear Liquor - same 190 proof goodness and a good bit cheaper than Everclear. It even dries a bit better than its more expensive compariot as well.

Lunting - To walk while smoking a pipe (from the Scottish Gallovidian Encyclopedia, pg. 325)
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Delaware has it; no problem. In Pa I was told I needed a doctor's prescription. Unbelievable. So I bought it in Delaware. It'll last a lifetime.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. khartman

khartman

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone for the help!

Oklansas--> Thanks for the heads up on DC, next time I'm close I'll have to stop in a store and pick up a bottle!

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Will the isopropyl be strong enough to be used in a salt/alcohol cleaning?

Yep, get the 91% at Walmart for around $2/bottle and save your booze money for the quality hooch. I never noticed a difference between Everclear and Iso, so I just stopped spending the $20/bottle a couple of years ago.

Al

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rubbing alcohol is easy to obtain and would work well. As would isopropanol. Yes, they are more toxic than Everclear. Don't drink them. I would not recommend that you drink Everclear, either, but, whatever floats your boat.

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. khartman

khartman

Login to Send PM

Can't say I've never had everclear, but these days I tend to stick to just beer haha

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. raevans

raevans

Login to Send PM

Although it is not legal to sell everclear in Virginia, you can order it online and have it shipped to Virginia. One very reliable source that I have found is a place called Wine Chateau. Here is the link:
    http://www.winechateau.com/controller.aspx?type=view&info=search&a=ft&v=everclear

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is 190 proof needed to get the job done? Wouldn't 80-90 proof do the job? Ventilate the space well, unless you want a high.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. raevans

raevans

Login to Send PM

80-90 proof would work. Just remember that the lower the proof, the more of "other" substances are in the mix. Usually more distilled water, but that means a longer dry time for your pipe. I like everclear because it does not leave a ghost after I clean my pipe. Lower proof is usually rum, vodka, whiskey, etc. Over time the flavors from them will add an aftertaste. But, it's all just a matter of preference, some folks like the added spice. As long as your happy, it's all good in the end.

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. brass

brass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've used ISO but have switched to using liquors. The ISO leaves a flavor/bite that I can detect for a bowl or two after cleaning. Liquor takes a couple of extra swabs to do the job as effectively.

Pax

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

NC sells everclear 90, not 180. Bought some, works OK. Used 151 Bacardi before & never noticed a rum after taste. But since seeing Als post, will try the high octane isopropyl.

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. draco

draco

Login to Send PM

I too live in Virginia and have run into issues getting higher than 151 rum but have figured out the system. The Virginia ABC stores do stock Everclear 190 proof, at least some stores and others can likely order it. The trick is you need to get a Grain Alcohol permit. The form is available online in PRF format. I just called the ABC board and they confirmed verbally that use for cleaning estate pipes is a valid application and use. I am going to apply as it is a free permit so no harm in trying. One of the local stores near Richmond keeps it in stock so as soon as I hopefully get the permit I will buy a bottle and report back on my progress. They list it at $37.99 for a 1.75 liter bottle which means it's cheaper than 151 rum but still a bit pricy but I rather use something that is nontoxic on my pipes. Isopropyl alcohol shouldn't be a big issue I would not think and denatured is 95% ethanol and usually 5% methanol and likely wouldn't be a problem either but pure grain alcohol eliminates any doubts. Wish me luck.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Honestly I think the quest for Everclear etc is a bit of a bug hunt.

When I have salt treated I've used kosher salt and whatever vodka was in the liquor cabinet. The results have always seemed entirely adequate.

Put it this way -- the differential result -- if any -- sure ain't worth acquiring a darned permit.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Strangely enough I can get 190 proof alcohol here in NY. You have to ask for it at most places and they will ask you what you want it for but you can get it. Can't get much else here but I guess that'll do!

Procrastinate Later. - I'll say this one day!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  23. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought mine in Delaware because, at the time, you needed a doctor's prescription for it in Pa. I think that may have changed but the half gallon I got will last a lifetime since I only use it to clean stuff.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. draco

draco

Login to Send PM

Just bought my first bottle of Everclear in Virginia!!!

There is a permit available on the Virginia ABC website for grain alcohol. It is a no cost permit that allows the holder to purchase grain alcohol at a stocking ABC store. I applied and was denied due to not being a business as the first paragraph of the code of Virginia regarding the permit addresses grain alcohol used for commercial purposes. I contacted the agent I was dealing with and brought to his attention the second paragraph that says that the same permit can be issued to an individual who shows a reasonable need. He agreed and i reapplied and he made sure those who make such decisions was aware of the second paragraph and that my purpose was the cleaning of used tobacco smoking pipes and I was then granted a permit.

So it is available if you are willing to go through the channels.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We have to ask for it here too. I usually say its for cleaning and they are happy to sell it. The first party I went to in college someone spiked the punch bowl with it:

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

Here in southern VA is easy to find white lightning, which works great for cleaning pipes. Tax free too

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Great Byzantine Commonwealth Of PEEAY Liquor Control Bored (yes, I know) required a license to buy the highest octane Everclear... and then you were assigned a specific "state store" which had to either special order or transfer it in. The application for the license required you indicate a "purpose" for wanting the substance... for anything but drinking it. So on that line, I indicated "pipe cleaner" and was approved in the blink of an eye... no questions, no clarifications. But I think they thought it was for the toilet or home plumbing. In any case, that was 5 years ago. Since, most local stores now carry fifths and liters of the ca 150pf Everclears, a fifth being about $18. Back in the middle of this adventure, I started mixing the hi-octane Everclear with the 91% generic isopropyl... worked fine. Then discovered the isopropyl did just fine on its own, at which point I decided to use My Great Byzantine Commonwealth of PEEAY License to Still, um, buy high-test grain as a pipe-wipe. A very tiny victory for humankind. And my pipes have been laughing all the way to the bank.

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, renfield, szconrad, cigrmaster, paulfg, upnorth1, canadianpuffer, pipesmoker30, hoosierpipeguy, newportpipe