Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Honestly I think the quest for Everclear etc is a bit of a bug hunt.
When I have salt treated I've used kosher salt and whatever vodka was in the liquor cabinet. The results have always seemed entirely adequate.
Put it this way -- the differential result -- if any -- sure ain't worth acquiring a darned permit.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Strangely enough I can get 190 proof alcohol here in NY. You have to ask for it at most places and they will ask you what you want it for but you can get it. Can't get much else here but I guess that'll do!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I bought mine in Delaware because, at the time, you needed a doctor's prescription for it in Pa. I think that may have changed but the half gallon I got will last a lifetime since I only use it to clean stuff.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
Just bought my first bottle of Everclear in Virginia!!!
There is a permit available on the Virginia ABC website for grain alcohol. It is a no cost permit that allows the holder to purchase grain alcohol at a stocking ABC store. I applied and was denied due to not being a business as the first paragraph of the code of Virginia regarding the permit addresses grain alcohol used for commercial purposes. I contacted the agent I was dealing with and brought to his attention the second paragraph that says that the same permit can be issued to an individual who shows a reasonable need. He agreed and i reapplied and he made sure those who make such decisions was aware of the second paragraph and that my purpose was the cleaning of used tobacco smoking pipes and I was then granted a permit.
So it is available if you are willing to go through the channels.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
We have to ask for it here too. I usually say its for cleaning and they are happy to sell it. The first party I went to in college someone spiked the punch bowl with it:
maxresdefault.jpg

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
The Great Byzantine Commonwealth Of PEEAY Liquor Control Bored (yes, I know) required a license to buy the highest octane Everclear... and then you were assigned a specific "state store" which had to either special order or transfer it in. The application for the license required you indicate a "purpose" for wanting the substance... for anything but drinking it. So on that line, I indicated "pipe cleaner" and was approved in the blink of an eye... no questions, no clarifications. But I think they thought it was for the toilet or home plumbing. In any case, that was 5 years ago. Since, most local stores now carry fifths and liters of the ca 150pf Everclears, a fifth being about $18. Back in the middle of this adventure, I started mixing the hi-octane Everclear with the 91% generic isopropyl... worked fine. Then discovered the isopropyl did just fine on its own, at which point I decided to use My Great Byzantine Commonwealth of PEEAY License to Still, um, buy high-test grain as a pipe-wipe. A very tiny victory for humankind. And my pipes have been laughing all the way to the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.