PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
So I live in northern VA and found that neither MD or VA sell everclear. VA says it's not illegal to have, just that the ABC stores don't sell it. I tried using vodka to clean some of my estate pipes, not really getting the job done on some with lots of build up. I also noticed you can't get it in PA, which I travel to for my Fiancé's family. There's a possibility I can get it in DC, I think I found a store that sells the following. Now I think this is the Wisconsin everclear thats the 190 proof full blown moonshine, though it's been awhile since I had it in college back in MN.
https://www.magrudersofdc.com/spirits/Everclear-Grain-Alcohol-w3049677fa
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
In Maryland you can buy something called "Club 190" it is 189 proof and is the same as Everclear, just 1 proof below the magic number of 190.

Mar 1, 2014
I know it makes some people uneasy, but I use isopropyl alcohol. Yes it's toxic if you drink it, but in small amounts (less than 1ml) your body metabolises it normally into acetone, which is also a natural byproduct of other processes in your body.

This stuff is intended to be rubbed on the skin, and it will evaporate cleanly. As long as you don't splash it all over yourself it should be fine.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Will the isopropyl be strong enough to be used in a salt/alcohol cleaning?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
VA limit is 101 proof. Apparently Violin restorers are bent in Maryland.
"Everclear, and all 190-proof liquor, is now banned.

And who, in the state of Maryland, is most upset?

The people who make violins.

While the ban’s intended audience, binge-drinking college kids, has an endless variety of alcoholic substances to consume, violin makers in Maryland depend on 190-proof grain alcohol to create varnishes used in making and restoring their instruments."...

“I can understand why they want to outlaw it,” Anderson said. “I just wish they made an exception for people in the arts.”

In Virginia, where any alcohol higher than 101 proof is illegal to sell, an exception for nonbeverage uses such as for medicine or machinery cleaning, was written into the law. In Maryland, no mention of an exception or special permit was included in the ban...And that’s what the partyers will have to make do with now. Unless, of course, they plan a road trip to Delaware — perhaps hitching a ride with a violin maker"

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/currents/maryland-s-crackdown-on-grain-alcohol-hits-violin-makers-bakers/article_40bb18be-299b-11e4-8a53-0017a43b2370.html
Pipe cleaning should count as an exception in Virginia one would think. We Can't get it here either. It is very useful to have around if you are an armchair survival nut like me, many uses aside from getting basted.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I have had success with Bacardi 151.
Though, per earlier post you may not be able to get in VA either due to the laws.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
The 190 proof limit in Maryland is why someone came up with the "Club 190" which is actually 189 proof and thus legal in Maryland
When I used to play the violin I never felt the need to drink hard liquor anyway!

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
@khartman,
I can confirm that you can get Everclear in DC. Purchased it several bottles over the years. But, if you are looking for a grain liquor for cleaning your pipes, I would suggest Gem Clear Liquor - same 190 proof goodness and a good bit cheaper than Everclear. It even dries a bit better than its more expensive compariot as well.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Delaware has it; no problem. In Pa I was told I needed a doctor's prescription. Unbelievable. So I bought it in Delaware. It'll last a lifetime.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Thanks everyone for the help!
Oklansas--> Thanks for the heads up on DC, next time I'm close I'll have to stop in a store and pick up a bottle!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Will the isopropyl be strong enough to be used in a salt/alcohol cleaning?
Yep, get the 91% at Walmart for around $2/bottle and save your booze money for the quality hooch. I never noticed a difference between Everclear and Iso, so I just stopped spending the $20/bottle a couple of years ago.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Rubbing alcohol is easy to obtain and would work well. As would isopropanol. Yes, they are more toxic than Everclear. Don't drink them. I would not recommend that you drink Everclear, either, but, whatever floats your boat.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Can't say I've never had everclear, but these days I tend to stick to just beer haha

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Although it is not legal to sell everclear in Virginia, you can order it online and have it shipped to Virginia. One very reliable source that I have found is a place called Wine Chateau. Here is the link:

http://www.winechateau.com/controller.aspx?type=view&info=search&a=ft&v=everclear

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is 190 proof needed to get the job done? Wouldn't 80-90 proof do the job? Ventilate the space well, unless you want a high.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
80-90 proof would work. Just remember that the lower the proof, the more of "other" substances are in the mix. Usually more distilled water, but that means a longer dry time for your pipe. I like everclear because it does not leave a ghost after I clean my pipe. Lower proof is usually rum, vodka, whiskey, etc. Over time the flavors from them will add an aftertaste. But, it's all just a matter of preference, some folks like the added spice. As long as your happy, it's all good in the end.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I've used ISO but have switched to using liquors. The ISO leaves a flavor/bite that I can detect for a bowl or two after cleaning. Liquor takes a couple of extra swabs to do the job as effectively.
Pax

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
NC sells everclear 90, not 180. Bought some, works OK. Used 151 Bacardi before & never noticed a rum after taste. But since seeing Als post, will try the high octane isopropyl.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
I too live in Virginia and have run into issues getting higher than 151 rum but have figured out the system. The Virginia ABC stores do stock Everclear 190 proof, at least some stores and others can likely order it. The trick is you need to get a Grain Alcohol permit. The form is available online in PRF format. I just called the ABC board and they confirmed verbally that use for cleaning estate pipes is a valid application and use. I am going to apply as it is a free permit so no harm in trying. One of the local stores near Richmond keeps it in stock so as soon as I hopefully get the permit I will buy a bottle and report back on my progress. They list it at $37.99 for a 1.75 liter bottle which means it's cheaper than 151 rum but still a bit pricy but I rather use something that is nontoxic on my pipes. Isopropyl alcohol shouldn't be a big issue I would not think and denatured is 95% ethanol and usually 5% methanol and likely wouldn't be a problem either but pure grain alcohol eliminates any doubts. Wish me luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.