PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I've arrived at the conclusion I don't really like butane lighters. Not the standard BIC type lighter but those solely for pipes like the Xikar I recently bought. they don't last anytime before you have to refill them again, unlike a Zippo. I have a Zippo pipe lighter but it's a little hard to get way down in the bowl with it. Moreover, with the butane you can forget trying to light up outdoors unless it's perfectly still. Any wind and you're out of luck.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Personally i really like my xikar. I use a standard bic for my back up tho. I agree with the wind but i find that problem with most lighters

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I agree. They are fancy lighters but they don't last long. I've been using a regular bic for a while now.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I use a sippo but like you get frustrated when i try to get to the bottom of the bowl.

I draw too hard and tend to get tongue burn.
I just picked up some cheap lighter on ebay that when you first light it is a torch (great for windy days) then when you release the button it changes into a soft butane. about $10 but shipped from China :cry:. I didn't check for country origin when i placed the order.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I get about a week and a half of use (1-3 bowls every other day) out of my Old Boy between refills. I used the Zippo for awhile. Never liked it as a pipe lighter. :puffy:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Xikar Scribe is the best pipe lighter I've ever used. Perfect ergonomics and function.
I fill once a week or so.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I use a sippo

Never heard of that brand... are they any good :rofl:
All kidding aside, I love my Vector. $25 and I fill it once a week on Sunday nights and it lasts me throughout the week. Has a little tamper / pick that slides out from the bottom.

EDIT: Soft flame, not a torch, so the wind does sometimes make it more difficult. Just shield the bowl with the hand... works for me
16477.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
One of each is probably the way to go. Each has its own plusses/minusses.

On a butane - be sure to evacuate all the air before refilling or you will never get a full reservoir. I used one butane lighter on vacation in June. I smoked 3-4 times daily for 10 days and didnt have to refill until after i was home for a few days. (Thunderbird insert in a Zippo case) i just swap in a fuel Zippo if i kmow that i will be ouside.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
This is the one I bought. Once they started getting low can you not just put the nozzle of the can in the lighter fill port without having to purge again? I haven't had a butane in decades. I've used Zippos primarily but decided to try a standard butane pipe lighter. The instructions with this one says to push the canister in the fill port for five seconds. Best I recall that Ronson I had you just turned the can upside down and filled until there was a swishing sound indicating it was full. Five seconds doesn't sound like it's getting enough.
http://xikar.com/products/lighters/resource/#

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
resource.jpg

That is pretty nifty! On my Thunderbird, I just press the nozzle fill tip down with the end of a fork tine. That releases any small amount of butane and than all the air. I can tell when it starts to get low enough to refill/purge as the flame gets erratic. Any small tip that can push down the nozzle will work to purge.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I just learned that my Lotus 1100 does not like to be rushed, if I gently squeeze the lever, it lights every time, try and flick it fast and it refuses to light, kinda cool the way it forces you to slow down even before you start the smoking process.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
What kind of fuel are you all using? Either my 2 month old Xikar Pipeline is crap or my Ronson fuel is junk or both. I hardly get a flame at all when it is fully turned up. I am following the refill instructions to the letter. It worked fine in the beginning. Now it just dissapoints and I reach for my Bic. I ordered some Colibri Lighter Butane Fuel - 5X REFINED tonight. If that doesn't fix my issues then it's back to the trusty old Bic for good.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Nothing beats a zippo pipe lighter, no idea why your having trouble getting the bottom of the bowel lit, I have some very large pipes and it lights the bottom easily. I love them because I have to smoke outdoors and it works in all weather conditions including extreme wind well.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Ronson is pretty dirty fuel. I had to clean soot from the nozzle on my Vertigo regularly when using it. The "new" Zippo fuel ( big black can with light blue top ) is better. Remember, butane is temperature sensitive, if it's too cold it won't light properly.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Initially I was treating it like a Zippo but seen I couldn't click it as fast and that helped. I wasn't using Ronson fluid but Zippo. The Ronson I mentioned was from long ago when I used their fluid in their lighter. I purged it per the instructions early on and did so again a second time since the fluid didn't last half the day the first time. It's doing better now. Maybe I didn't purge the gas from it quite enough. So far, it's lasted all day.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Xicar has a great warranty but I am ready to send my resource back for the 3rd time. I would recommend a corona old boy. Much more long term reliability.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
The Ronson I mentioned was from long ago...

The Ronson fuel could be a problem. I was told that cheap fuel can clog up the works.
One brand I use recommended by a B&M says triple refined and another brand I have says five times refined.

Jul 15, 2011
+1 on the Scribe. Nine times out of ten I use a match to light my pipe, but I have a few pipes that have a really deep chamber where a match can't reach, so I have to resort to a lighter. I either use my Scribe or if my Scribe is out of fuel, I have a Vertigo Old Boy style lighter as a backup until I can refill the Scribe.

Status
Not open for further replies.