PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I resently dropped a little cash on a nice refillable lighter and I keep getting frustraited at how often I have to fill the thing. So I was wondering how often should you have to refill a lighter and are there any brands that can go longer without a filling?

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
The next and most important step to properly refilling a butane lighter is to PURGE it. Purging gets rid of excess oxygen which remains in the gas tank. All refillable butane lighters have a valve on the bottom that works like a tire valve. Before refilling the lighter, you must push the "tire" like valve IN to purge/evacuate the excess gas and oxygen. The excess oxygen and residual gas left inside will seep out and make a "hissing" sound. By using a match stick or small screwdriver, you can repeatedly push the valve in until you cannot hear any more air escaping. PURGING will empty the lighter's reservoir tank and ensure a clean and undiluted refill.

Sometimes there is a problem with air getting into the fuel compartment preventing it from refilling properly.
The quote is from Tobacconist University.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I use a thunderbird insert in a zippo, its cheap, and a fill for me lasts about 2 weeks give or take. I also have never done the purge dea but I may go give it a try

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
When I used a zippo I had to refill it every other day. My Old Boy held fuel FOREVER, but probably because it never lit. I just got a Xikar Pipeline and it lasts about a week.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
My Zippo I used to have to fill it every other day, friend made me a nice leather case for it now it lasts at least a week. I guess being in the case slows down the evaporation. Someone also suggested to put just a little Vaseline around the insert when you fill it and it will slow down the evaporation too, haven't tried that yet.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I fill my zippo everday, just part of my routine I guess. Never run out of fire

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I try to remember to purge when I refill. I still find some of my lighters need refilled more often than I'd like.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Put your lighter in the ice box, you will lower the pressure in the lighter, run some water in the sink, get it hot not scalding hot and put the butane can in the water you are building vapor pressure, it doesn't"t take long, about 5 mins, take lighter out the ref and fill put it down and wait 5 mins and refill again, most people don"t realize that the butane is in an air-conditioned house, and you have been handling your lighter hence the vapor pressure is up, believe me you will get a lot more butane in the lighter this way. Tbradsim the old cajun

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I had an expensive Colibri's that I could never get to work right for more than 2 lights. I have a Vector that is quite dependable, but I have to fill every 3 days. My mother bought me a cheap plastic lighter with a built in LED flashlight and a flexible chimney at a cigarette store, and it lasts 2 weeks between fill ups, and is my most dependable lighter. I have a BIC that has been working for months, and everyone uses it at the smoking table. I always thought that you got what you paid for, but with lighters, I think it is the reverse.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I had an expensive Colibri's that I could never get to work right for more than 2 lights. I have a Vector that is quite dependable, but I have to fill every 3 days. My mother bought me a cheap plastic lighter with a built in LED flashlight and a flexible chimney at a cigarette store, and it lasts 2 weeks between fill ups, and is my most dependable lighter. I have a BIC that has been working for months, and everyone uses it at the smoking table. I always thought that you got what you paid for, but with lighters, I think it is the reverse.[/quote]
Ha! Medic, This is identical to my experience. I literally found myself pricing bulk lots of bic lighters the other day as their consistency & longevity (for the price) are pretty much unbeatable. I have a case of off-brand disposable lighters, but the flint wheel disintegrates before the fuel is anywhere near depleted...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I use a Blazer CG-001 torch every day. I can go 10-14 days between refills. Great product.
http://www.blazerproducts.com/lighters/details.php?prodId=36

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Do they do flame or torch? I don't want one with a torch, just a reasonable flame. I think I may be getting a zippo for my birthday on thursday. Is it the black can that has no odor?

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I like my Xitar Scribe. It has a window so I can see how much fuel it has.

596bu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.