Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

"Burned" tongue tip after smoking too much or too intensely

(24 posts)
  1. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

Well, not actually burned, but it's irritated when I smoke.

What would you guys do in this case? Maybe stop smoking for a few days?

Has this even happened to you?

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, and yes.

Dry tobacco more, slow down, and/or change tobacco.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  3. mrmachado

Machado

Login to Send PM

Thanks. If I don't wake up better tomorrow, I'll try and take a couple of days off.

The tobacco is already bone dry though. I'm a follower of the "bone dry law".

And slow down of course.

Posted 6 months ago #
  4. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wait till it's healed, lest it gets worse.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 6 months ago #
  5. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try a different style or brand of tobacco. It could also be something about your body chemistry. Tongue bite can be caused by either heat or chemical burn. In most cases, though, it's heat. Also, try drinking something when you smoke your pipe.

Posted 6 months ago #
  6. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Biotene helps. Also, I have another mouthwash that is organic and really helps moisturize the mouth. Some of the blends have too much PG which I think dries out the mouth, making you more susceptible to tongue bite/burn. Also try switching your pipe to another area of the mouth when you puff, take some of the pressure off a specific area of the tongue. This and the other comments previously mentioned. Thankfully, unless you really scorched it, the healing/recovery is quite quick.

Posted 6 months ago #
  7. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Occasionally this tends to happen, Biotene is my remedy

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 6 months ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, "tongue bite," pretty standard for new pipe smokers. Smoke slower. Sip. Try around with tobacco; my nemesis was over-flavored aromatics. Full strength is rarely or never a problem for me. For some it's stronger blends, Virginia, burley. I experienced it more as mouth burn, not the tongue specifically.

Posted 6 months ago #
  9. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tobacco can saturate the taste buds, no matter how dry it is or how slow you smoke, and give you a burning sensation, as if you had sprayed your tongue with pepper. That's why I prefer small bowls. Once it starts to get bitey I can put it away and chuck it, no big waste.

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Biotene can't be recommended enough; a tongue saver!

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's a thread from 4 months ago you might want to read. One of our members got a chemical burn possibly from red virginia tobacco. What are you smoking?
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/i-just-got-a-massive-case-of-tongue-bitburn#post-1244292

Posted 6 months ago #
  12. joecobb

joecobb

Login to Send PM

When first starting out 10 years ago, me and my friend had some issues with this as well, smoking Holger Danske Vanilla & Mango. We started to load our pipes hours before smoking and then puffing a lot slower. I guess if one of those things doesn´t work, do both. Drying and slowing down.

Posted 6 months ago #
  13. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

Had the same issue when smoking aromatics, for me this ended in constant tongue bites. Ever since switching to English blends, it has improved dramatically. With English blends can smoke as much as possible without having tongue bite or irritation of the mouth whatsoever. I think this is due to aros burning hotter I guess. I do still love me some aromatics but had to first air it out from the tin for a couple hours before smoking it.

Pierre
    Posted 4 months ago #
  14. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

All of the above......

I also sometimes brush my teeth/mouth with warm water between pipes to cleans the pallet and taste buds. And always brush and rinse with mouthwash at the end of the day. Any bite or irritation will heal up overnight.

For me, taking a day or two off from piping, if possible, really rejuvenates my taste buds and makes a pipe even that much more enjoyable.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Derhammer, it also depends on which aromatics. Stuff laden with propylene glycol and other secret chemicals is more likely to scald your tongue. I smoke mostly aromatics and don't have a problem with most of them. I am, of course, a snob that won't touch Craptain Black, Borkum Riffraff, or the like. It may also be caused by an individual's sensitivity to some components, besides the chemicals, in which case, even top notch stuff like Sillem's Blau will bite like a snapping turtle. AFAIK, the hottest burning tobaccos are virginias, due to their natural higher sugar content.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Yes, and yes.

Dry tobacco more, slow down, and/or change tobacco.

This ^^^.

Also a shout out to Prarie Druid: Biotene, if you can find it in Brazil.

I’d stop smoking for a couple days. If it’s in any way unpleasant for me, I won’t smoke a pipe. No reason to further aggravate your tongue, I say.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 4 months ago #
  17. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I push through it, be a man! Get through it and it will get worse until it just eventually goes away. Your gums will continue to bleed and you may lose a couple of teeth but what you lose in teeth you gain in hair on your chest.

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes....this was a joke comment, wasn't it?

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 4 months ago #
  19. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That aloe Vera drink helped me when I had a similar issue, back when. Careful with it, it contains quite a lot of sugar.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 4 months ago #
  20. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes....this was a joke comment, wasn't it?

Haha, yes, I was joking. I should probably use more emojis to get that point across but those emojis are a pita while using my phone to post so I end up leaving them out most of the time. I’ve got a nice open space where my teeth used to be, works well as I’m a clencher and clenching with your gums mitigates any risk of biting through the stem and/or causing teeth marks.

I hope the above is now clear that I’m joking due to the genius emoji I added. I only have a couple of teeth missing, not all of them. Beauty is pain my friends, beauty is pain.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, I too have experienced beginner's tongue. It can be attributed to any number of factors, but most have been mentioned already, and those that haven't are probably not really all that relevant, but who knows? eh?

Anyway, I just wanted to comment about why slow puffing of the pipe is recommended.

The hotter your tobacco (yes, even 'dry' tobacco) gets, the more it releases moisture, which becomes steam. Steam is hot..

An added benefit to slower puffing is that the flavor isn't burned off.

If you think of it that way, it might be more useful.

You become patient if you're a former cig smoker and looking for a nic hit, or pay the price in tongue burn.

Fear of losing your 'light' might also be problematic, because you are puffing faster and harder to keep lit, but that, you learn, is the Chinese finger trap of a too hot ember. Self defeating.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently purchased a small container of "Biotene" spray. I use it after each smoke. One spray does the trick. It cleanses the pallet and eliminates any tongue bite or burning.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke as you breathe, slow and nice. Dont smoke a pipe like a cigarette. If you are a follower of the "bone dry law" you are still going to burn your tongue and gargle your pipe and heat the bowl to the extent of it burning down. Dont listen to old codgers telling you it has to be bone dry !! Your tobacco need to be just a lil damp and pliable, unless you live in a place where the humidity is 100% all the time.

Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I found this guy's advice to be very useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDOaBcHdrF8

Pipe Smokers....Stop tongue bite NOW!! Here's how!

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   brodybro, cshubhra, weezell, craig61a, milehighpiper, georged, trouttimes, pepesdad1, acidpox, ssjones