PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Yes, I too have experienced beginner's tongue. It can be attributed to any number of factors, but most have been mentioned already, and those that haven't are probably not really all that relevant, but who knows? eh?
Anyway, I just wanted to comment about why slow puffing of the pipe is recommended.
The hotter your tobacco (yes, even 'dry' tobacco) gets, the more it releases moisture, which becomes steam. Steam is hot..
An added benefit to slower puffing is that the flavor isn't burned off.
If you think of it that way, it might be more useful.
You become patient if you're a former cig smoker and looking for a nic hit, or pay the price in tongue burn.
Fear of losing your 'light' might also be problematic, because you are puffing faster and harder to keep lit, but that, you learn, is the Chinese finger trap of a too hot ember. Self defeating.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I recently purchased a small container of "Biotene" spray. I use it after each smoke. One spray does the trick. It cleanses the pallet and eliminates any tongue bite or burning.

Smoke as you breathe, slow and nice. Dont smoke a pipe like a cigarette. If you are a follower of the "bone dry law" you are still going to burn your tongue and gargle your pipe and heat the bowl to the extent of it burning down. Dont listen to old codgers telling you it has to be bone dry !! Your tobacco need to be just a lil damp and pliable, unless you live in a place where the humidity is 100% all the time.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.