PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Well, not actually burned, but it's irritated when I smoke.
What would you guys do in this case? Maybe stop smoking for a few days?
Has this even happened to you?

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Thanks. If I don't wake up better tomorrow, I'll try and take a couple of days off.
The tobacco is already bone dry though. I'm a follower of the "bone dry law".
And slow down of course.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Try a different style or brand of tobacco. It could also be something about your body chemistry. Tongue bite can be caused by either heat or chemical burn. In most cases, though, it's heat. Also, try drinking something when you smoke your pipe.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Biotene helps. Also, I have another mouthwash that is organic and really helps moisturize the mouth. Some of the blends have too much PG which I think dries out the mouth, making you more susceptible to tongue bite/burn. Also try switching your pipe to another area of the mouth when you puff, take some of the pressure off a specific area of the tongue. This and the other comments previously mentioned. Thankfully, unless you really scorched it, the healing/recovery is quite quick.

Reactions: yanoJL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, "tongue bite," pretty standard for new pipe smokers. Smoke slower. Sip. Try around with tobacco; my nemesis was over-flavored aromatics. Full strength is rarely or never a problem for me. For some it's stronger blends, Virginia, burley. I experienced it more as mouth burn, not the tongue specifically.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Tobacco can saturate the taste buds, no matter how dry it is or how slow you smoke, and give you a burning sensation, as if you had sprayed your tongue with pepper. That's why I prefer small bowls. Once it starts to get bitey I can put it away and chuck it, no big waste.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Here's a thread from 4 months ago you might want to read. One of our members got a chemical burn possibly from red virginia tobacco. What are you smoking?

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/i-just-got-a-massive-case-of-tongue-bitburn#post-1244292

joecobb

Lurker
Jan 5, 2019
Norway
When first starting out 10 years ago, me and my friend had some issues with this as well, smoking Holger Danske Vanilla & Mango. We started to load our pipes hours before smoking and then puffing a lot slower. I guess if one of those things doesn´t work, do both. Drying and slowing down.

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Had the same issue when smoking aromatics, for me this ended in constant tongue bites. Ever since switching to English blends, it has improved dramatically. With English blends can smoke as much as possible without having tongue bite or irritation of the mouth whatsoever. I think this is due to aros burning hotter I guess. I do still love me some aromatics but had to first air it out from the tin for a couple hours before smoking it.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
All of the above......
I also sometimes brush my teeth/mouth with warm water between pipes to cleans the pallet and taste buds. And always brush and rinse with mouthwash at the end of the day. Any bite or irritation will heal up overnight.
For me, taking a day or two off from piping, if possible, really rejuvenates my taste buds and makes a pipe even that much more enjoyable.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Derhammer, it also depends on which aromatics. Stuff laden with propylene glycol and other secret chemicals is more likely to scald your tongue. I smoke mostly aromatics and don't have a problem with most of them. I am, of course, a snob that won't touch Craptain Black, Borkum Riffraff, or the like. It may also be caused by an individual's sensitivity to some components, besides the chemicals, in which case, even top notch stuff like Sillem's Blau will bite like a snapping turtle. AFAIK, the hottest burning tobaccos are virginias, due to their natural higher sugar content.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Yes, and yes.
Dry tobacco more, slow down, and/or change tobacco.
This ^^^.
Also a shout out to Prarie Druid: Biotene, if you can find it in Brazil.
I’d stop smoking for a couple days. If it’s in any way unpleasant for me, I won’t smoke a pipe. No reason to further aggravate your tongue, I say.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I push through it, be a man! Get through it and it will get worse until it just eventually goes away. Your gums will continue to bleed and you may lose a couple of teeth but what you lose in teeth you gain in hair on your chest. :puffy:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes....this was a joke comment, wasn't it?

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
That aloe Vera drink helped me when I had a similar issue, back when. Careful with it, it contains quite a lot of sugar.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes....this was a joke comment, wasn't it?
Haha, yes, I was joking. I should probably use more emojis to get that point across but those emojis are a pita while using my phone to post so I end up leaving them out most of the time. I’ve got a nice open space where my teeth used to be, works well as I’m a clencher and clenching with your gums mitigates any risk of biting through the stem and/or causing teeth marks. :P
I hope the above is now clear that I’m joking due to the genius emoji I added. I only have a couple of teeth missing, not all of them. Beauty is pain my friends, beauty is pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.