Tags:  No tags yet. 

Burley Blends

(40 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by minfarshaw
  • Latest reply from buroak
  1. minfarshaw

minfarshaw

Login to Send PM

I've been smoking mainly Virginia based blends from simple lemony virginias like Newminster Navy to virginia based Balkans like Mississippi River. I'm not much is a Latakia fan but I like it in the background mixed with Orientals, esp when the orientals are at the forefront. For example, I like Frog Morton Cellar, And EMP. For some reason, white knight just doesn't do it for me. I also love the sweeter side of VaPers like Anniversary Kake and St. James Flake. As for aromatics, the only ones I like are 1Q and Bagpiper's dream. 1 Q is almost always mixed in with AK. The 1Q + AK mix has been smoked about 50% of the time.

So, I want to explore the Burley blends but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is one that is in my list of three tobaccos I am never without and that is Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake. I just love the stuff. Earthy, often bread like, sometimes malty and with a liquorice type sweetness you get from some dark sugars. I find it strange that I love it as I don't like the taste of earth and I truly hate liquorice.

I liked it from the first bowl full but the more I smoke it the more I find in it. I have found it better after a few weeks in a jar for whatever reason.

I would like to find more like this stuff so will be watching this thread to see what others suggest. Here in the UK burley forward or burley only blends seems rare.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

A wonderful way to ease into Burley blends is with 4noggins' Weybridge. One of the best blends in any genre.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mac Baren Symphony is one of my favorites.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am surprised mso489 was not the first to offer a suggestion, or seven. I really enjoy McClelland X90 and X10 Burley Blends. I have been getting especially good results mixing X10 with McClelland 5100 Red Cake, and that might be a good route for your foray into Burley tobaccos.

X10 at Smokingpipes.com

X90 at Smokingpipes.com

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. brass

brass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm about half way through a pouch Missouri Pride, a burley forward blend by Russ Oullette. I'm liking it - a lot. I haven't smoked a lot of burleys, other than OTCs, but this is my favorite of this type by a wide margin.

Week two, Friday April 10, 2015, the Pax Tobacco Crawl members will be tasting Classic Burley Kake -H&H Signature, also developed by Russ Oullette.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/pipe-tobacco/70658/hearth-home-signature-classic-burley-kake/

If you decide to try the Classic Burley Kake, please consider joining us for the April Tobacco Crawl and share your opinion. You can come in on April 3rd for the whole thing, or just come in on the week of April 10th, when we will be smoking the burley blend.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pax-tobacco-crawl-with-russ-ouellette

Pax

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. minfarshaw

minfarshaw

Login to Send PM

Brass, I was thinking about that Pax crawl. I will probably join you for the burley kake and firestorm. I've been eyeing those codger blends. Maybe I should put in an order for Carter Hall or Prince Albert. What's your take on those blends?

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. kendodan

kendodan

Login to Send PM

I am a big fan of 4noggins Bald Headed Teacher. It's not your typical burley blend though. It's pretty unique but in a good way.
    Their Butternut Burley isn't too bad either.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As buroak suggests, I'm a big fan of burley. I think Cornell & Diehl has a special touch with these and suggest sampling, in small quantities until you decide about them, bulk Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, and, if you like full strength, Big 'n Burley. Another great burley variant is Tabac Manil Semois, but since it is sold in a large package, you might want to wait to see how you like burley non-aros in general. One Forums member said Semois made him physically ill, so it's not for everyone. It's not super strong, just distinctive. It's about my favorite tobacco, though essentially a single-leaf. There are more and more outstanding burley non-aromatic blends. Mac Barens Old Dark Fired is wonderful to me, and the Kentucky leaf that is dark fired is burley, I'm reasonably sure. Just to clarify, I also greatly enjoy English, Balkan, Va, Va/Per and tobacco forward aromatics (the aros for a change of pace). Have fun exploring the non-aro burleys; I think this is a class of blend that is coming into full bloom, a lot of great ones around.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

minfar, the codger blends are tasty and worth trying, maybe in the pouch for starters, rather than the tub, but they're their own category. Compared to some of the excellent non-aro burley blends from C&D, Mac Barens, GLP, Russ, etc., they are staid, loveable but staid, kind of like a story-telling great uncle.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chatham Manor, P&C's much superior take on Carter Hall, is a terrific smoke and dirt cheap on a per ounce basis.

Viewing with alarm since 1948.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. minfarshaw

minfarshaw

Login to Send PM

Thanks for suggestions everyone! I just have one more question. You know how Virginias have a zesty to sweet flavor depending on preparation? How does this work for burleys? Dark fired vs toasted vs some other prep?

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Burley is often described as tasting "nutty" which is more or less accurate but the variations on that theme are endless depending on all the factors you mentioned.

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you are in the CONUS, I can put together and send you a "care package" of seven or eight samples to get you started. PM me if interested.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  15. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A tub of any otc will eventually find its way into your heart. The tub allows for easy access. Most of these burleys have a pipe cut of one sort or another. Each has its own flavor. When I've tried new ones they take me a period of palate adjustment to find their groove. They are fairly basic, even burning tobaccos.
    Go ahead and get the CH.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have fallen for Classic Burley Kake. A great blend with some very nice flavors to it. To me I get some nuttiness, with sweet bread. I also get hints of anise in the background. It is a great sit back and relax blend.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 4 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

hierophant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been smoking my way through a tin of C&D Haunted Bookshop lately, smoking some right now in fact. I think it's a very good burley blend, though the reviews on Tobacco Reviews have it middle of the road. It is, in my opinion, a bit strong in terms of nicotine which is it's only downside for me (and won't be a factor for everyone of course).

SPC has a C&D Burley sampler pack; 5 full size tins for the price of 4. Comes with Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Kranz, two of their burley flakes and one other, which I can't recall. Might be a good place to start.

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. dustmite

dustmite

Login to Send PM

I don't have the experience of the other fine pipers who've responded, but thought I'd chime in on the PA and CH. I have finished a pouch of PA, and am three quarters through my pouch of CH and would not hesitate to recommend either. I found PA to have a more fruity-earthy quality, reminiscent of plum. CH has a bit of a sweeter taste, with a hint of a smokey bourbon flavor. For the price of these, you really can't go wrong.

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SPC has a C&D Burley sampler pack; 5 full size tins for the price of 4. Comes with Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Kranz, two of their burley flakes and one other, which I can't recall. Might be a good place to start.

That sounds like a good place to start!

Here's a few blends I enjoy that contain Burley:

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired
    Solani Aged Burley Flake
    C&D Briar Fox
    C&D Kickin' Chicken
    Carter Hall
    Reiner Long Golden Flake
    GLP Cumberland
    Peterson Irish Flake
    Semois (a Burley relative that is good plain or blended)

Good luck and let us know what you find pleasing to the palate!

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. minfarshaw

minfarshaw

Login to Send PM

Holy cow! Where to start?? I remember smoking Old Dark fired in the fall, it's been largely ignored due to too much nicotine. It knocked me out. So strong blends aren't really for me. I think I'll start with the midtown series Chatham manor and prince Andrew. Maybe some Kickin Chicken - that sounds pretty good. And GLP Cumberland, just because of my experience with Quiet Nights. Butternut Burley sounds good too. It's gonna take a little while to explore all these but it should be interesting.

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's gonna take a little while to explore all these but it should be interesting.

It's all about the journey ... a tasty, tasty journey.

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

minfar, if you are nicotine sensitive, I think those are excellent choices. Give them a try.

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan of burley blends, but mostly I'm a big fan of C&D because it seems they know how to blend them. The older Bob R. blends are really top notch. C&D's - Morley's Best, and Epiphany are amongst my faves that Bob R. created.

C&D's - Billy Budd is a great one too, but keep in mind it's got a good amount of cigar leaf in it, so if that's not something you're into, you might want to steer clear, not to mention is got a LARGE dose of Vitamin N.

Be aware that GLP - Cumberland is rather stout too, due to the dark fired added, but a great blend recommendation none-the-less.

As for the codger blends, you can't go wrong with either PA, or Carter Hall.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  24. daimyo

daimyo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would get in touch with Hans at Hu Tobacco. I don't like most Burley but that guy is a magic worker. Makhuwa is an amazing blend.

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. minfarshaw

minfarshaw

Login to Send PM

They had 2 oz samples of the midtown series. Yay! I'm gonna start Chatham Manor. Also got Prince Andrew and Sweet Cask. I'll try the others next month;)

Posted 4 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like those, you might also enjoy these; Sutliff Breckinridge, H&H Anglers Dream

For a mild, simple yet tasty burley try Uhle's 00
    For a deeper, sweet and spicy take, try Watch City Slices

If you want to try what Bing Crosby may have smoked try C&D Crooner. It has deer tongue which is a unique flavor, though this blend can be quite strong and a little harsh.

Have fun. I used to thumb my nose at burley blends because I only experienced the bottom end, but no more.

Posted 4 years ago #
  27. brass

brass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MinFarShaw, sorry for the delayed response. I hadn't subscribed to the thread, so missed your query regarding PA and Carter Hall. However, you'll notice that while the rest of the gang gave you lots of different (and great) advice, PA and Carter Hall were consistently recommended. CH was my regular for many years. Most pouch tobaccos (maybe excepting some aros) are burley forward and satisfied thousands if not millions of smokers for more than a century. IMHO, if you haven't smoked PA and Carter Hall, you can't really present yourself as well rounded, experienced smoker. I started smoking a pipe about 36 years ago. I have dozens of different blends in the cellar. All this, and I still have open a pouch of PA plus Carter Hall and Captain Black on standbye. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed a couple of bowls of Pa over the weekend. I don't smoke it every week but sometimes, it is exactly what I want.

BTW, you absolutely, positively should try Russ's Classic Burley Kake. I had an extra tin and decided to get a preview of this Tobacco Crawl pick for April. I meant to just try a bowl while I let the stuff dry in the open tin for a few days. Man, I haven't been able to stop smoking it. This is one of the more delicious tobaccos I've tried in the last year. I've already got an 8oz tin in my P&C shopping cart.

Posted 4 years ago #
  28. beastkhk

beastkhk

Login to Send PM

SPOILERS!!!!!!

Posted 4 years ago #
  29. minfarshaw

minfarshaw

Login to Send PM

I got my shipment yesterday. I trien Chatham Manor yesterday and Prince Andrew today. I liked them. Very simple, easy burning. Nice nutty taste. It had this bitter taste that threw me off but I got used to it and actually started to like it. Maybe because I am so used to Virginias? The two were very similar, I almost was doubting if I was smoking two different blends. I guess I have to smoke them more. I tasted a more 'chemical' taste from the Prince Andrew but I still liked it. Overall, the experience was nothing spectacular but pleasant. I liked the cut of the tobacco, it was easy to keep the bowl going with just a tamp. Both blends were springy when packed into a bowl.

Posted 4 years ago #
  30. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

minfarshaw- Its not a specific blend...but I feel like in general C&D is known for doing really great things with Burley...so if you find that tobacco is something you really enjoy...I'd take a sniff up their tree

Posted 4 years ago #
  31. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have both of those MidTowns on hand. I was going to suggest that you might not appreciate the differences in PH in your mouth right away.
    PA and CH are made by the same MFR and they're very similar in appearance. I think there's a slight bit more of a sour in the CH along with some sweet. The cut of the MidTowns is beautiful and I think it's a tad more moist than the OG's. I still enjoy the OG's but it's nice to have a reliable and more affordable reasonable facsimile.

Posted 4 years ago #
  32. 4nogginsmike

4nogginsmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another vote for Solani Burley Flake. The best burley I've tried.

After years of non-participation with OTC burley, I finally bought a pouch of Carter Hall and would say it is a quintessential burley, but I have no words to be more specific; I've not smoked that much burley.

I adore La Bruemuse but would disagree with the poster above who said that it isn't strong. It is in fact full-bodied, not as strong as Dark Flake or rope, but definitely of that category. It bites me but not badly, and if I ever learn to sip, not draw, I'm sure it will be fine. As regards taste, it is more unlike typical burley than the same. The most I would say is that it belongs more to the burley family than any other tobacco class. But it is so much more, mostly unlike any other tobacco I've smoked: rustic, barnyard, spicy; not to be missed!

Posted 4 years ago #
  33. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Missouri Pride"

+ 1 I like all the Missouri Meerschaum tobacco blends, including Missouri Pride. Russ did a great job on these blends at a great price.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 4 years ago #
  34. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think when it comes to trying Burley for the first time you can't go wrong with Carter Hall or a 2oz sample of H&H's Chatham Manor. Smoke an ounce or two and you'll know if you like the Burley leaf. If you are not susceptible to the Mac Barren bite I'd also suggest Golden Extra.

Posted 4 years ago #
  35. maxx

maxx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started with OTC blends, and ended up dumping them all together in a Mason jar. I do like Carter Hall enough to keep it in stock, and have been adding some to the mix jar, hoping to dilute the sickly sweet flavor and chemical taste from the Captain Blacks in there.

"Curiosity is one of the most permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect."
    ~ Samuel Johnson ~
    Posted 4 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Somene's gotta say it, otc is why burley has a bad rap. There are so many blends that elevate burley I can't see a reason to smoke something that tries to mask it in flavorings.

Minfar, keep in mind dark fired kentucky is burley too. Lots of fun to be had there.

Posted 4 years ago #
  37. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Count me in on the Classic Burley Kake bandwagon. A light aromatic that burns cool and never bites. Great dry cocoa flavor to complement the nutty burley

Posted 4 years ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

nachman

Login to Send PM

My favourite OTC burley used to be Carter Hall, then I smoked Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match. Carter Hall is now in second place. ERR Match is a burley OTC with some body.

Posted 4 years ago #
  39. brass

brass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As mentioned, we smoked Classic Burley Kake in this months crawl with Russ Oulette. I've gone through a tin and most of the half pound I ordered. It has become my top choice for burley blends.

Posted 4 years ago #
  40. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Somene's gotta say it, otc is why burley has a bad rap. There are so many blends that elevate burley I can't see a reason to smoke something that tries to mask it in flavorings.

I think this may apply to many OTC Burleys, but Carter Hall gives me as pure, or nearly as pure, a Burley taste as McClelland's X10 Unflavored Burley.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jdhowe75, mikethompson, olkofri, supdog, railman, jaytex969, alaskanpiper, jojoc, laniromee, ray47, oldgeezersmoker