Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I've been smoking mainly Virginia based blends from simple lemony virginias like Newminster Navy to virginia based Balkans like Mississippi River. I'm not much is a Latakia fan but I like it in the background mixed with Orientals, esp when the orientals are at the forefront. For example, I like Frog Morton Cellar, And EMP. For some reason, white knight just doesn't do it for me. I also love the sweeter side of VaPers like Anniversary Kake and St. James Flake. As for aromatics, the only ones I like are 1Q and Bagpiper's dream. 1 Q is almost always mixed in with AK. The 1Q + AK mix has been smoked about 50% of the time.
So, I want to explore the Burley blends but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
There is one that is in my list of three tobaccos I am never without and that is Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake. I just love the stuff. Earthy, often bread like, sometimes malty and with a liquorice type sweetness you get from some dark sugars. I find it strange that I love it as I don't like the taste of earth and I truly hate liquorice.
I liked it from the first bowl full but the more I smoke it the more I find in it. I have found it better after a few weeks in a jar for whatever reason.
I would like to find more like this stuff so will be watching this thread to see what others suggest. Here in the UK burley forward or burley only blends seems rare.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I am surprised mso489 was not the first to offer a suggestion, or seven. I really enjoy McClelland X90 and X10 Burley Blends. I have been getting especially good results mixing X10 with McClelland 5100 Red Cake, and that might be a good route for your foray into Burley tobaccos.
X10 at Smokingpipes.com

X90 at Smokingpipes.com

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm about half way through a pouch Missouri Pride, a burley forward blend by Russ Oullette. I'm liking it - a lot. I haven't smoked a lot of burleys, other than OTCs, but this is my favorite of this type by a wide margin.
Week two, Friday April 10, 2015, the Pax Tobacco Crawl members will be tasting Classic Burley Kake -H&H Signature, also developed by Russ Oullette.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/pipe-tobacco/70658/hearth-home-signature-classic-burley-kake/
If you decide to try the Classic Burley Kake, please consider joining us for the April Tobacco Crawl and share your opinion. You can come in on April 3rd for the whole thing, or just come in on the week of April 10th, when we will be smoking the burley blend.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pax-tobacco-crawl-with-russ-ouellette
Pax

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Brass, I was thinking about that Pax crawl. I will probably join you for the burley kake and firestorm. I've been eyeing those codger blends. Maybe I should put in an order for Carter Hall or Prince Albert. What's your take on those blends?

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I am a big fan of 4noggins Bald Headed Teacher. It's not your typical burley blend though. It's pretty unique but in a good way.

Their Butternut Burley isn't too bad either.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As buroak suggests, I'm a big fan of burley. I think Cornell & Diehl has a special touch with these and suggest sampling, in small quantities until you decide about them, bulk Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, and, if you like full strength, Big 'n Burley. Another great burley variant is Tabac Manil Semois, but since it is sold in a large package, you might want to wait to see how you like burley non-aros in general. One Forums member said Semois made him physically ill, so it's not for everyone. It's not super strong, just distinctive. It's about my favorite tobacco, though essentially a single-leaf. There are more and more outstanding burley non-aromatic blends. Mac Barens Old Dark Fired is wonderful to me, and the Kentucky leaf that is dark fired is burley, I'm reasonably sure. Just to clarify, I also greatly enjoy English, Balkan, Va, Va/Per and tobacco forward aromatics (the aros for a change of pace). Have fun exploring the non-aro burleys; I think this is a class of blend that is coming into full bloom, a lot of great ones around.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
minfar, the codger blends are tasty and worth trying, maybe in the pouch for starters, rather than the tub, but they're their own category. Compared to some of the excellent non-aro burley blends from C&D, Mac Barens, GLP, Russ, etc., they are staid, loveable but staid, kind of like a story-telling great uncle.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Chatham Manor, P&C's much superior take on Carter Hall, is a terrific smoke and dirt cheap on a per ounce basis.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for suggestions everyone! I just have one more question. You know how Virginias have a zesty to sweet flavor depending on preparation? How does this work for burleys? Dark fired vs toasted vs some other prep?

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Burley is often described as tasting "nutty" which is more or less accurate but the variations on that theme are endless depending on all the factors you mentioned.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If you are in the CONUS, I can put together and send you a "care package" of seven or eight samples to get you started. PM me if interested.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A tub of any otc will eventually find its way into your heart. The tub allows for easy access. Most of these burleys have a pipe cut of one sort or another. Each has its own flavor. When I've tried new ones they take me a period of palate adjustment to find their groove. They are fairly basic, even burning tobaccos.

Go ahead and get the CH.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I have fallen for Classic Burley Kake. A great blend with some very nice flavors to it. To me I get some nuttiness, with sweet bread. I also get hints of anise in the background. It is a great sit back and relax blend.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I've been smoking my way through a tin of C&D Haunted Bookshop lately, smoking some right now in fact. I think it's a very good burley blend, though the reviews on Tobacco Reviews have it middle of the road. It is, in my opinion, a bit strong in terms of nicotine which is it's only downside for me (and won't be a factor for everyone of course).
SPC has a C&D Burley sampler pack; 5 full size tins for the price of 4. Comes with Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Kranz, two of their burley flakes and one other, which I can't recall. Might be a good place to start.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I don't have the experience of the other fine pipers who've responded, but thought I'd chime in on the PA and CH. I have finished a pouch of PA, and am three quarters through my pouch of CH and would not hesitate to recommend either. I found PA to have a more fruity-earthy quality, reminiscent of plum. CH has a bit of a sweeter taste, with a hint of a smokey bourbon flavor. For the price of these, you really can't go wrong.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
SPC has a C&D Burley sampler pack; 5 full size tins for the price of 4. Comes with Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Kranz, two of their burley flakes and one other, which I can't recall. Might be a good place to start.
That sounds like a good place to start!
Here's a few blends I enjoy that contain Burley:
Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Solani Aged Burley Flake

C&D Briar Fox

C&D Kickin' Chicken

Carter Hall

Reiner Long Golden Flake

GLP Cumberland

Peterson Irish Flake

Semois (a Burley relative that is good plain or blended)
Good luck and let us know what you find pleasing to the palate! :puffy:

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Holy cow! Where to start?? I remember smoking Old Dark fired in the fall, it's been largely ignored due to too much nicotine. It knocked me out. So strong blends aren't really for me. I think I'll start with the midtown series Chatham manor and prince Andrew. Maybe some Kickin Chicken - that sounds pretty good. And GLP Cumberland, just because of my experience with Quiet Nights. Butternut Burley sounds good too. It's gonna take a little while to explore all these but it should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.