PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
minfar, if you are nicotine sensitive, I think those are excellent choices. Give them a try.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm a big fan of burley blends, but mostly I'm a big fan of C&D because it seems they know how to blend them. The older Bob R. blends are really top notch. C&D's - Morley's Best, and Epiphany are amongst my faves that Bob R. created.
C&D's - Billy Budd is a great one too, but keep in mind it's got a good amount of cigar leaf in it, so if that's not something you're into, you might want to steer clear, not to mention is got a LARGE dose of Vitamin N.
Be aware that GLP - Cumberland is rather stout too, due to the dark fired added, but a great blend recommendation none-the-less.
As for the codger blends, you can't go wrong with either PA, or Carter Hall.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I would get in touch with Hans at Hu Tobacco. I don't like most Burley but that guy is a magic worker. Makhuwa is an amazing blend.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
They had 2 oz samples of the midtown series. Yay! I'm gonna start Chatham Manor. Also got Prince Andrew and Sweet Cask. I'll try the others next month;)

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
If you like those, you might also enjoy these; Sutliff Breckinridge, H&H Anglers Dream
For a mild, simple yet tasty burley try Uhle's 00

For a deeper, sweet and spicy take, try Watch City Slices
If you want to try what Bing Crosby may have smoked try C&D Crooner. It has deer tongue which is a unique flavor, though this blend can be quite strong and a little harsh.
Have fun. I used to thumb my nose at burley blends because I only experienced the bottom end, but no more.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
MinFarShaw, sorry for the delayed response. I hadn't subscribed to the thread, so missed your query regarding PA and Carter Hall. However, you'll notice that while the rest of the gang gave you lots of different (and great) advice, PA and Carter Hall were consistently recommended. CH was my regular for many years. Most pouch tobaccos (maybe excepting some aros) are burley forward and satisfied thousands if not millions of smokers for more than a century. IMHO, if you haven't smoked PA and Carter Hall, you can't really present yourself as well rounded, experienced smoker. I started smoking a pipe about 36 years ago. I have dozens of different blends in the cellar. All this, and I still have open a pouch of PA plus Carter Hall and Captain Black on standbye. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed a couple of bowls of Pa over the weekend. I don't smoke it every week but sometimes, it is exactly what I want.
BTW, you absolutely, positively should try Russ's Classic Burley Kake. I had an extra tin and decided to get a preview of this Tobacco Crawl pick for April. I meant to just try a bowl while I let the stuff dry in the open tin for a few days. Man, I haven't been able to stop smoking it. This is one of the more delicious tobaccos I've tried in the last year. I've already got an 8oz tin in my P&C shopping cart.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I got my shipment yesterday. I trien Chatham Manor yesterday and Prince Andrew today. I liked them. Very simple, easy burning. Nice nutty taste. It had this bitter taste that threw me off but I got used to it and actually started to like it. Maybe because I am so used to Virginias? The two were very similar, I almost was doubting if I was smoking two different blends. I guess I have to smoke them more. I tasted a more 'chemical' taste from the Prince Andrew but I still liked it. Overall, the experience was nothing spectacular but pleasant. I liked the cut of the tobacco, it was easy to keep the bowl going with just a tamp. Both blends were springy when packed into a bowl.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
minfarshaw- Its not a specific blend...but I feel like in general C&D is known for doing really great things with Burley...so if you find that tobacco is something you really enjoy...I'd take a sniff up their tree :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have both of those MidTowns on hand. I was going to suggest that you might not appreciate the differences in PH in your mouth right away.

PA and CH are made by the same MFR and they're very similar in appearance. I think there's a slight bit more of a sour in the CH along with some sweet. The cut of the MidTowns is beautiful and I think it's a tad more moist than the OG's. I still enjoy the OG's but it's nice to have a reliable and more affordable reasonable facsimile.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Another vote for Solani Burley Flake. The best burley I've tried.
After years of non-participation with OTC burley, I finally bought a pouch of Carter Hall and would say it is a quintessential burley, but I have no words to be more specific; I've not smoked that much burley.
I adore La Bruemuse but would disagree with the poster above who said that it isn't strong. It is in fact full-bodied, not as strong as Dark Flake or rope, but definitely of that category. It bites me but not badly, and if I ever learn to sip, not draw, I'm sure it will be fine. As regards taste, it is more unlike typical burley than the same. The most I would say is that it belongs more to the burley family than any other tobacco class. But it is so much more, mostly unlike any other tobacco I've smoked: rustic, barnyard, spicy; not to be missed!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Missouri Pride"
+ 1 I like all the Missouri Meerschaum tobacco blends, including Missouri Pride. Russ did a great job on these blends at a great price.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I think when it comes to trying Burley for the first time you can't go wrong with Carter Hall or a 2oz sample of H&H's Chatham Manor. Smoke an ounce or two and you'll know if you like the Burley leaf. If you are not susceptible to the Mac Barren bite I'd also suggest Golden Extra.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I started with OTC blends, and ended up dumping them all together in a Mason jar. I do like Carter Hall enough to keep it in stock, and have been adding some to the mix jar, hoping to dilute the sickly sweet flavor and chemical taste from the Captain Blacks in there.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Somene's gotta say it, otc is why burley has a bad rap. There are so many blends that elevate burley I can't see a reason to smoke something that tries to mask it in flavorings.
Minfar, keep in mind dark fired kentucky is burley too. Lots of fun to be had there.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Count me in on the Classic Burley Kake bandwagon. A light aromatic that burns cool and never bites. Great dry cocoa flavor to complement the nutty burley

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
My favourite OTC burley used to be Carter Hall, then I smoked Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match. Carter Hall is now in second place. ERR Match is a burley OTC with some body.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
As mentioned, we smoked Classic Burley Kake in this months crawl with Russ Oulette. I've gone through a tin and most of the half pound I ordered. It has become my top choice for burley blends.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Somene's gotta say it, otc is why burley has a bad rap. There are so many blends that elevate burley I can't see a reason to smoke something that tries to mask it in flavorings.
I think this may apply to many OTC Burleys, but Carter Hall gives me as pure, or nearly as pure, a Burley taste as McClelland's X10 Unflavored Burley.

Status
Not open for further replies.