PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Today was the first time I ever tried breath smoking-- PS Luxury Navy Flake in a Morgan Bones sitter I picked up from a forum member a few weeks back. It took a couple of tries to get it right; I was afraid of blowing ash out all over myself, and I was too delicate at first, so it went out a few times.
After a few relights, I got the hang of it, and all I can say is WOW. Smoked the whole rest of the bowl with no relights all the way down to the bottom, with great flavor and a very cool pipe the whole time. Consider me a convert.
P.S. Thanks to Chasing Embers for advocating breath smoking on here.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I'm smoking Embarcadero with same method I just learned about on Friday, and will second this. The tobacco stays lit, I only tamp 3 or 4 times, bowl stays warm, not hot. Tried this with FVF and some CC that I was lucky to snag this weekend. Really cool way to smoke a pipe!

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I like how blue smoke goes gently past the fresh tobacco on bottom of the bowl , somehow priming it , for lack of a better term , it gives an excellent smoke once mastered

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I just can't get it to work for me. Only way I can get a tiny, wee bit of smoke into my mouth is by taking several long deep breaths—don't think that's how it's s'posed to be.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I get lots of smoke in my mouth and keep it there for the most part. I cycle small amounts of smoke back and forth through the pipe. Drives my wife crazy, she doesn't know if I'm smoking or just walking around with a pipe in my mouth. :rofl:

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
As a clencher, this was a technique that came pretty naturally to me not long after taking up the pipe and always seemed to make perfect sense. It really does maximise the pleasures in smoking and as far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to go. In my opinion.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The closest I ever got to breath smoking was slowing down appreciably to the extent that my mouth stopped hurting. It lasted for about a week. I think you could safely say my technique sucked:). By the time I quit my palate, which had always waxed and waned, seemed permanently waned. I spent many many hours studying pipes and tobacco and opened many doors thereby that I could not walk through. But even hobbled I adored pipe smoking.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
The only downside to this method is it seems like it wouldn't be very well-suited for outdoor smoking, and I don't think I'd ever be able to walk or do anything physical while breath smoking. But maybe that's an upside, rather than a weakness.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
The only downside to this method is it seems like it wouldn't be very well-suited for outdoor smoking, and I don't think I'd ever be able to walk or do anything physical while breath smoking. But maybe that's an upside, rather than a weakness.
I walk and smoke outside all the time and breath smoke fine. As long as I don't exert myself to the point I have to breathe through my mouth I'm good.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Coming from cigars, smoking with a pipe using the breath method was not natural. But once I learned that pipes don’t creat plumes of smoke like a cigar, the breath smoking became second nature.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
New convert here, too. My only issue with learning this was that I don’t like to clench the entire time I’m smoking. Seems to make my jaw sore with some pipes. But, I’m learning to just hold them in a similar spot as the clench would be and getting the same results.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
What is it?
It's a method where the pipe sits in your mouth, clenched, while you breathe naturally through your nose. Because of pressure differences, smoke fills your mouth and the flavors are full and the smoke is cool. Pease describes it well on his site, so does Muttonchop Piper on some vids. The idea is you don't have to puff, but get full flavor of the smoke.
My struggle right now is the amount of saliva I'm producing, and I'm still trying to figure out how often to pull the pipe out and release the smoke. But with more practice I think I'll like this more and more.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
My struggle right now is the amount of saliva I'm producing
Same here. I've been practicing this method for a few weeks, but I still have to pretty much hold the pipe. Clenching makes my jaw hurt and I get too much saliva anyway. I am having good smoking success though.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I like to let the smoke waft about gently , it’s a nice sensation to smell it too
As well as watch it curl around in the air
Ahhhhh

techie

Jul 20, 2018
As well as watch it curl around in the air
I also like to watch the shapes the smoke makes rising from the bowl. I suppose it's similar to watching clouds or staring into a fire.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The only downside to this method is it seems like it wouldn't be very well-suited for outdoor smoking
It's the only way I smoke. While reading, lunting, doing yard work, or whatever. It's so dialed into my breathing that I don't even pay attention to doing it.
I also like to watch the shapes the smoke makes rising from the bowl.
Eventually the smoke becomes imperceptible to the point that most will not even know you are smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.