PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
In my video, I am drawing while breathing both in and out by applying a vacuum created by expanding my mouth cavity and no by venturi pressure changes in my throat.
Then it is not breath smoking but Duane smoking method :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In Alan Kerslake's video, he appears to be doing the same thing. Not smoking with the breath, but syncing the breath with it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Seems described that way here as well.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/advanced-pipe-smoking-techniques-have-you-learned-everything

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Instructional and educational videos are ok I guess, have to check that one with Kevin.

Please, do. I've created 3 such videos that I've linked to here; since I consider them strictly demonstrative or instructional, I didn't even think of that rule when I made them and when I've linked to them. I don't even have a channel (and highly unlikely to have one, not being photogenic).

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I think it was a landmark for me when I got it. Alan's video is the one I saw when I discovered it. When I matched my natural breathing pattern to it -babam! - pipes stayed lit! Though when Alan made the video - exaggerating a bit to make sure he demonstrated the concept so you could see it - I'll bet he roasted that pipe!

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
How he blows smoke back though the pipe on every draw, I'm surprised he hasn't burned a hole in his pipes.
When I tried the small puff exhale every time, it seems the bowl was actually cooler than when I would puff only (going back a few months ago. I have since slowed my cadence and bowl stays relatively cool when I puff only).
But is burn out associated with heat? Or is there something else going on that you think might cause burnout when blowing through the pipe?

I'll work at my workbench, or read a book, or be puttering about in the garden... just allowing the smoke to savor in my mouth, not thinking about the pipe. Then I'll take my pipe out of my mouth, wipe the sweat off of my forehead, or recall the last paragraph, or look at a stone setting in one of my projects, puff a few times on my pipe, and think about the smoke. Watch the fine slow stream of smoke... then reflect on something, then put the pipe back into my mouth, and resume doing whatever it is that I was doing and not thinking about my pipe. There are no rules. It's just something that comes to you.
When you are starting, you are all focused on each little aspect. The pack, the light, the tamping, cleaning the pipe. The smoking is just haphazard at best. Then you spend so much time trying to consciously taste this or that flavor. Puff a little fast, and get burned.
When you start driving, you do this too. Clutch, shift, gas, let of clutch... Then after a while you are listening to the radio, and next thing you know you got home without having to think about letting off the clutch even once. You just did it automatically. Smoking a pipe is like that. Just relax into it. Carry on in what you're doing in your day. Or, save smoking for that special moment. Don't mind a little burn. There's no rules.

Reactions: Bowie

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Burnouts don't happen just by blowing air up the stem. They happen when too much oxygen is forced past an already hot ember for too long. More likely to happen with normal but excessive drawing. (I haven't had a burnout ever, fwiw.)

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I can breath smoke nearly an entire bowl without hands, and more importantly with no jaw aches. However, I can only do that with 1 of my pipes. The craziest part is that it’s my heaviest pipe. It’s a Peterson XL02 Irish Whiskey with a big fat p-lip bit. I actually relax my jaw so that it lays perfectly in the curve of my chin. It doesn’t fall out of my mouth due to the p-lip being “hooked” on my lower teeth. It is very comfortable.
85c28330-d6b1-49d6-96a8-470ad740ea2e-450x600.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Burnouts don't happen just by blowing air up the stem.
No, but I meant the way muttonchop draws and blows with every breath like a bellows. No break in between can really heat up a pipe.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
In Alan Kerslake's video, he appears to be doing the same thing. Not smoking with the breath, but syncing the breath with it.
Duane, honestly speaking, when I tried breath smoking for the first time 3 years ago, I did as exactly as you said, by expanding mouth cavity. The thing is I couldn't figure out the logic behind it and quit. Then I gave it another try with that Venturi effect and it worked out, however some smoke was going to my lungs, thus I quit it again. I have just realized that (thanks to you) smoking has nothing to do with the air you are inhaling, the breathing cadence is just used as a metronome to adjust your smoking cadence. Makes sense now.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Glad to help! That's why I made my video. Visual aids always helped me understand better than just reading about a thing.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I am doing what Cosmic and Chasing Embers are doing, only with less skill. It seems natural to me and I was going in that direction before I watched Chasings video. There are still a few issues, like getting cadence down, bad tamping skills, saliva management etc, but I'm getting there. Breath smoking with inhaling is not something I want to do.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Occasionally drawing fresh air into the mouth with the smoke will help keep some of the salivating down.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Occasionally drawing fresh air into the mouth with the smoke will help keep some of the salivating down.
I do that all the time, still can't prevent saliva getting into the stem. So, I don't clench.
Some of those silica gel packets could keep the moisture down. Maybe tuck one in your mouth while smoking?
Tried that as well, wifey didn't like the smell coming from my mouth. I know Michael, I tried to replace her, apparently that's not easy, holding pipe with my hand instead of clenching is easier though.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I do that all the time, still can't prevent saliva getting into the stem. So, I don't clench.
I don't think I could get saliva down the stem if I tried..... But can you clench with the stem further back in the jaw? Spit more? :) Don't clench for more than a few minutes at a time?
Or ask your dentist for a bag 'o cotton balls....

Status
Not open for further replies.