PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I don't think I could get saliva down the stem if I tried..... But can you clench with the stem further back in the jaw? Spit more? :) Don't clench for more than a few minutes at a time?
Yeh, I'd think that you'd have to have just gushes of saliva coming out like Niagara falls. Try spitting down the stem... it's not as easy as you'd think.
I guess I am not alone. There are some whose salivary glands produce more saliva than others (thus they are non-clenchers). I just let the pipe hang from my mouth (like banjo does), sometimes I hold it with my teeth, in any case I can't keep it in my mouth for more than 2-3 minutes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just finished a pipe on the way back from my kids' bus stop, and realised that I do swallow a lot when clenching. Had never paid any attention to that before.

Some tobaccos leave me drier than others. I have also noted that it isn't exactly the type of leaf used in the blend that does this, but maybe the casing. Some casings leave me with a more sweet acidic taste that causes me to salivate more. These blends I prefer in the summer months, like the Newminster SNF or OGF. Then some are drier, like Star of the East Flake, sour almost, that are way better in the wintertime, to me. But, I don't think my saliva is going down the stem. I tried to actually get some spit down my stem last night, as a brainfart, but my spit is too thick and doesn't easily want to go down the stem. Or, maybe I hold my head upright as I smoke, looking down my nose. Do you guys bow a lot? Maybe drop your heads in shame? JK :wink: :puffy: Sorry, I am mixing up my response to the "pipe snob" thread with this one, ha ha.
Drooling is perfectly acceptable. Right? It's a good thing, and you shouldn't let people shame you... for drooling. Be proud of it. :puffy:

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I salivate a little, whether breath smoking or not. When breath smoking or clenching in general, I usually take the pipe out of my mouth eery minute or two and swallow, then reinsert the pipe and carry on as normal. I'm not sure I have the dexterity to swallow while clenching.

Status
Not open for further replies.