Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Best Website to Buy Tobacco

(46 posts)
  1. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am new to this site, and to pipe smoking . One thing that I have found so far, is that the amount of pipe to;acco out there and the web's sites to get it are overwhelming. I am hoping that you experienced pipe smokers can give me some insight on the best web shop to use and maybe some suggestion on how to weed through all the choices out there.

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually "google" whatever blend I'm seeking, then review the offerings on the first page or two of results.

There's a list of forum sponsors along the left edge of your page here. I really benefit from this forum, therefore I try to support the sponsors.

That's not too hard, since they often have the best deals, especially if you plan ahead.

Check regularly for specials and build a "want list" until you want/need enough items to get free shipping. It's always easy to throw an extra tin and some pipe cleaners to reach that threshold.

Welcome to the madness forum!

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any of the Forums sponsors, in red at left, have good selections of quality blends -- smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars, iwanries, and so on. As a newbie, I'd go with one or two ounce samples of bulk tobaccos in different genres, both non-aromatic (not flavored) and aromatic, and examples of English, Balkan, Virginia, Virginia/Perique, burley blends, etc. Learn how to read the listings for constituent tobaccos, strength, cut, room note, and other specs. Learning is half the fun. Welcome aboard. Take your time sampling, two or three samples at a time is plenty.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smokingpipes.com and Pipesandcigars.com are, I believe, the two most used and trusted sites for tobacco. Cup 'O Joes (cupojoes.com), and tobaccopipes.com, although no longer sponsors of this site, are also great.

Edit to add:

As a newbie, I'd go with one or two ounce samples of bulk tobaccos in different genres, both non-aromatic (not flavored) and aromatic,
    Sorry MSO, I used to believe the same about aromatics, but no longer do. Aromatics tend to be more moist and harder to keep lit, and can be frustrating for a new pipe smoker. Also the multiplied chance of tongue burn from the steam caused by the added casings and toppings. I think a crossover aromatic blend, one not too moist, is a better option. Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant is one I'd suggest. Or G.L. Pease's The Virginia Cream is another. I recently popped my first tin of this and it's almost perfect to load a pipe fresh out of the tin. No offense, I hope.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For ease of use, selection, service in my not so humble opinion Smokingpipes.com is the preeminent tobacco retailer in the world. My second favorite is 4noggins.com and international customers have raved about them for years. My third choice is pipesandcigars.com as they also have a great selection, but their site is not great. To find the tobacco you are looking for is not as easy as SP, their pipe pictures are not like SP, but they also carry blends because of Russ Oulette that no one else carries. I do business with all three usually depending on availability, but my go to is SP.

Second tier vendors are Marscigars(website stuck in the 90's), Iwan Reis(takes a phonecall or 2 to get what you want),

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One thing I don't like that Pipes & Cigars did (still does?) is that they will automatically backorder something that's out of stock, and if you don't cancel it, you might get a surprise bill a couple of months later.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome,

Best web shop? Well, I think this depends on where you are. I realise it's most likely you are in North America but you may not be and it wouldn't be the best advice to recommend Tanya's titillating Tobacco Emporium in downtown Tirana if you live next door to the Wombles of Wimbledon Common if you get my meaning. I'm in the UK and as a result, tend to only order from UK based vendors. This also means I can't get many tobaccos my American friends can so I wouldn't recommend them to you if you were here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

+1 for SPC. I purchase about 90% of my tobacco (bulk and tin) from them. I can also vouch for Iwan Ries as well as Pipes & Cigars and 4 noggins.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I mostly use SPC, good reliable service and a good website............

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

P&C or SPC are great to do business with. I prefer SPC for pipes as you can see the exact pipe you’re buying. For tobacco it usually boils down to availability as to who gets my business.

As to how to weed through the available choices, a combination of the forums and Tobacco Reviews (with a grain of salt). Ideally you will eventually find a reviewer whose tastes align with yours to help make choices.

Enjoy the abundance and internet availability while it lasts.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a newbie, I'd go with one or two ounce samples of bulk tobaccos in different genres, both non-aromatic (not flavored) and aromatic, and examples of English, Balkan, Virginia, Virginia/Perique, burley blends, etc.

Excellent starter advice. Both SPC and P&C will sell you one-ounce samples of anything in bulk. As others have cautioned, I might save aromatics until later, and start out with an old favorite over-the-counter (OTC) like Carter Hall, Five Brothers, or Prince Albert, as these are easy to smoke and will let you perfect your technique.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

4Noggins is now my go to seller. Mind you, most of my orders are international, but even on the rare occasion when I order tobacco and have it sent to my brother in St.Louis, I prefer to support them. They have great service and have gone above and beyond for me in the past.

That's not say smoking pipes is not good. They are, and their service is also good. In this very tiny world of tobacco suppliers, it doesn't hurt to spread your money around to encourage a wide selection that we all benefit from, if that's in line with your world view.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

In addition to the 3 big ones above listed and discussed I would add Mars as, while slightly more expensive, I can find blends on back order in the other big ones.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Along with some of those stores which support this site I also use Iwan Reis as I am a fan of the 3Star blends.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any forum sponsor. They are the ones who make all of this possible.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I'm a strong advocate of supporting this site's sponsors.
    And I hope that 4noggins gets back on board. It has always been great to do business with them.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok i appreciate all the sound advice given here. I am so glad to be part of this site . I have already learned a wealth of knowledge from you all. as for getting tobacco ...looks like i have work to do thanks!

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

tom12

Login to Send PM

4noggins.com if you live in Europe and want to get a wide range of US and European tobaccos at a very reasonable price, I usually save up for a few months before making a big purchase, must have spent over £1000 with them but my cellar is looking a lot healthier now than it was a year ago.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For latakia you want to use Smoking pipes, but for perique blends, you should use P&C. For blends that have both, you should use Milan.
    One of my favorite things about Pipes and Cigars, is that if they are out of something, they will keep you on backorder (unless you simply give them a call), and when it comes it, they will immediately ship it to you. It's like getting on an automatic list to receive it ASAP. Which is fantastic, unless you regularly let you bank account run down to empty.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

I like Mars great service

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So far I've been using exclusively smokingpipes.com thanks to their cheaper international shipping options,but I seldom buy tobacco products there,and if so then only from 1 to 3 pouches maximum.Last time I was exploring 4 noggings I noticed their international shipping costs were kinda increased.Will check that up later again.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

opus777

Login to Send PM

I absolutely DO NOT recommend pipesandcigars.com at all. Everything is fine until you have a return, then you are made to feel like it's your fault if they screwup your order or UPS damages your tins. I currently have hundreds of dollars they owe me and keep getting every excuse in the book for a refund to hit my account.

I'm only using smoking pipes.com from this point forward.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I absolutely DO NOT recommend pipesandcigars.com at all. Everything is fine until you have a return, then you are made to feel like it's your fault if they screwup your order or UPS damages your tins.

Funny, this is not my experience at all. I dropped a whole box of PS LTF onto the floor, blaming the package being open, and they shipped out a whole new box with no questions asked as to what happened. But, I ended up keeping both boxes, because I just swept up the flakes off the floor, and felt more was always better. They also took back a pipe, no questions. And, I have seen members return pipes to them that have burned out after smoking pretty easily.

Most of the P&C hate seems to come from people enraged or not just picking up the phone and calling their excellent customer service. Or, guys just treating the CS lady like a jerk. I could be wrong, but the P&C rage posts tend to look like they are coming from guys with chips or axes to grind. Just my read on them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had about 20 P&C orders since June. I had one damaged item (manufacturer issue) and was treated fairly.

It sucks that some have had worse experiences, but, to balance the sheet, there are those of us who are satisfied customers, too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I cannot imagine why they would hold your money, that sure doesn't sound right. How about explaining exactly what happened. I bet if Russ sees it he will make it right in a few short minutes. PC had some issues with packaging a while ago but those were addressed and all of my shipments have been fine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@opus777

I'm not a "die hard" fan of P&C. Had some issues. But even to me sounds k7nda strange.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

opus777

Login to Send PM

I guess I'm venting a bit, sorry and don't mean to be negative. About 80% of my orders have been fine. I asked for Russ once and was told by CS that I couldn't talk to him and they wouldn't even give me his email LOL. Anyone got his contact info, would love to talk to him.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

opus, go to this thread that Russ started and PM him.
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-mystery-of-flavors

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

Just got back from some crab fishing with my son and found a box from 4noggins at my door step (Canada). Whenever 3 pounds worth of tobacco arrives without the $350+ bill from my government looking for their due, I'm a happy guy.

Can't recommend them enough if you're not in the United States. They keep international pipe smokers going, bless them, and it's the only company I've found that will even ship to Brazil, when I'm there. Otherwise, and maybe you're not going to believe this, I have to source my tobacco from a fucking voodoo store. It seems like pure perique to me, when it's not moldy as hell, and I can maybe get back a quarter of a bowl before I too turn green. It's the weirdest, most oily, nasty rope of tobacco I've ever laid eyes on. You pull it out of a bag like a snake, using a guillotine cutter to lop off a length. The whole while surrounded by figurines, clay bowls, herbs, a menacing eye from the shop keeper and... weird shit.

For the love of all things good, please drop an order through them once in awhile to keep the rest of us going. When I'm down there next, I'll post you some voodoo tobacco if it will get some sympathy. That stuff sends shivers down my spine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, another vote for 4noggins and tobaccopipes.com from north of the 49th parallel. Sux that P&C won't ship here.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm changing my vote to voodoo tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have ordered a few bulk items to try from P&C ...so i will let you guys know how that works out. Also i just found out that there is a brick and mortar Cigars International that is close to my sons college . So i am going to pay him a visit this weekend ... you know just to see him of coarse !

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One thing that I have found so far, is that the amount of pipe to;acco out there and the web's sites to get it are overwhelming.

Definitely support B&M's because, pretty soon we won't be able to order online, and once the B&M's are gone, so will pipesmoking.
    But, as to the quote, online, you are basically paying wholesale prices, or just a tiny notch above. Compare to cigars or even cigarettes, pipe tobacco is a mere pittance. My favorite B&M just makes a few dollars above wholesale, and guys come in there and get enraged. On several occasions I have heard the owner say that carrying pipe tobacco and competing with the damned wholesale prices online makes it not worth carrying any tobacco at all. He makes more of a return selling pipes and cigars for sure. In fact, mentioning out loud the name of an online pipe vendor brings about spitting on the floor and very nasty looks. So, when you look at those online prices, know that those prices are bottom of the barrel prices, and if that is too expensive, you might want to consider something cheaper, like collecting exotic four leaf clovers from the yard or butterfly hunting. and sadly, it won't be getting any cheaper.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Today I learned something new on our and Sweden tobacco duty taxes,this goes as following,the tax due per one 1,75oz pouch or tin is $15 +then if the parcel originates from outside of EU region then there is the added Sales tax as % 24 calculated from total value of goods. These numbers seem to ace out even dramatic Canadian import taxes.
    Speaking generally,any online tobacco orders from commercial vendors are considered as being against the current customs laws and prohibited. Excluding tobacco leaf containing gifts which are not exceeding the total weight of 2 oz or the $ 45 value.
    Regardless of this absurd madness it looks like I'm to buy collectors tins' from 4 nog.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm guessing one of the big online stores buy 1000 x more product than a local B&M. I'm also guessing that earns them a substantial volume discount which they pass along in their prices in order to attract your business. I think it is good to try and place some of your business with your local shop. Helping them to justify stocking the product or even starting open may be well with the few extra bucks you spend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd love to support my B&M (and I do drop by to buy 1 oz every now and then), but I ain't paying over $50 CAD for a 1.75 oz tin.

Their bulk, which is quite limited, is $20 + Tax per ounce.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

nick13

Login to Send PM

any great UK website to buy pipes and tobacco ?

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Define "great." I googled "UK pipes tobacco" and came up some hits. Can't tell you if they are great though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think most UK sites ship to the US.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

You are perfectly correct (almost) no EU site will ship to US.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

any great UK website to buy pipes and tobacco ?

The ones I use the most are My Smoking Shop and GQ tobaccos. I always order early in the morning and My Smoking Shop gets it to me the next day. Never had a problem with them.

Neither ship tobacco to the USA anymore as far as I'm aware.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The ones I use the most are My Smoking Shop and GQ tobaccos
    I purchased a pipe from My Smoking Shop somewhat recently. That's where I finally found my Rosslare Royal Irish I had spent nearly a year searching for online. I'll use them again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did not think GQ or My Smoke shop shipped to the U.s.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You may wanna try with some Ireland or Scotland based tobacconists such as Jeffreyst.com, J.Fox or Corey's for that matter.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For many EU blends like those of HU Tobaccos, etc., this German site is excellent. They will ship to Canada and the US.

https://www.pfeifendepot.de/

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did not think GQ or My Smoke shop shipped to the U.s.

They don't ship tobacco to the US. They will ship anything else such as pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sparrowhawk, mityahicks, charf