PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
So far I've been using exclusively smokingpipes.com thanks to their cheaper international shipping options,but I seldom buy tobacco products there,and if so then only from 1 to 3 pouches maximum.Last time I was exploring 4 noggings I noticed their international shipping costs were kinda increased.Will check that up later again.

opus777

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 12, 2018
I absolutely DO NOT recommend pipesandcigars.com at all. Everything is fine until you have a return, then you are made to feel like it's your fault if they screwup your order or UPS damages your tins. I currently have hundreds of dollars they owe me and keep getting every excuse in the book for a refund to hit my account.
I'm only using smoking pipes.com from this point forward.

I absolutely DO NOT recommend pipesandcigars.com at all. Everything is fine until you have a return, then you are made to feel like it's your fault if they screwup your order or UPS damages your tins.

Funny, this is not my experience at all. I dropped a whole box of PS LTF onto the floor, blaming the package being open, and they shipped out a whole new box with no questions asked as to what happened. But, I ended up keeping both boxes, because I just swept up the flakes off the floor, and felt more was always better. They also took back a pipe, no questions. And, I have seen members return pipes to them that have burned out after smoking pretty easily.
Most of the P&C hate seems to come from people enraged or not just picking up the phone and calling their excellent customer service. Or, guys just treating the CS lady like a jerk. I could be wrong, but the P&C rage posts tend to look like they are coming from guys with chips or axes to grind. Just my read on them.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've had about 20 P&C orders since June. I had one damaged item (manufacturer issue) and was treated fairly.
It sucks that some have had worse experiences, but, to balance the sheet, there are those of us who are satisfied customers, too.
jay-roger.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I cannot imagine why they would hold your money, that sure doesn't sound right. How about explaining exactly what happened. I bet if Russ sees it he will make it right in a few short minutes. PC had some issues with packaging a while ago but those were addressed and all of my shipments have been fine.

opus777

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 12, 2018
I guess I'm venting a bit, sorry and don't mean to be negative. About 80% of my orders have been fine. I asked for Russ once and was told by CS that I couldn't talk to him and they wouldn't even give me his email LOL. Anyone got his contact info, would love to talk to him.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Just got back from some crab fishing with my son and found a box from 4noggins at my door step (Canada). Whenever 3 pounds worth of tobacco arrives without the $350+ bill from my government looking for their due, I'm a happy guy.
Can't recommend them enough if you're not in the United States. They keep international pipe smokers going, bless them, and it's the only company I've found that will even ship to Brazil, when I'm there. Otherwise, and maybe you're not going to believe this, I have to source my tobacco from a fucking voodoo store. It seems like pure perique to me, when it's not moldy as hell, and I can maybe get back a quarter of a bowl before I too turn green. It's the weirdest, most oily, nasty rope of tobacco I've ever laid eyes on. You pull it out of a bag like a snake, using a guillotine cutter to lop off a length. The whole while surrounded by figurines, clay bowls, herbs, a menacing eye from the shop keeper and... weird shit.
For the love of all things good, please drop an order through them once in awhile to keep the rest of us going. When I'm down there next, I'll post you some voodoo tobacco if it will get some sympathy. That stuff sends shivers down my spine.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I have ordered a few bulk items to try from P&C ...so i will let you guys know how that works out. Also i just found out that there is a brick and mortar Cigars International that is close to my sons college . So i am going to pay him a visit this weekend ... you know just to see him of coarse ! :rofl:

One thing that I have found so far, is that the amount of pipe to;acco out there and the web's sites to get it are overwhelming.

Definitely support B&M's because, pretty soon we won't be able to order online, and once the B&M's are gone, so will pipesmoking.

But, as to the quote, online, you are basically paying wholesale prices, or just a tiny notch above. Compare to cigars or even cigarettes, pipe tobacco is a mere pittance. My favorite B&M just makes a few dollars above wholesale, and guys come in there and get enraged. On several occasions I have heard the owner say that carrying pipe tobacco and competing with the damned wholesale prices online makes it not worth carrying any tobacco at all. He makes more of a return selling pipes and cigars for sure. In fact, mentioning out loud the name of an online pipe vendor brings about spitting on the floor and very nasty looks. So, when you look at those online prices, know that those prices are bottom of the barrel prices, and if that is too expensive, you might want to consider something cheaper, like collecting exotic four leaf clovers from the yard or butterfly hunting. :puffy: and sadly, it won't be getting any cheaper.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Today I learned something new on our and Sweden tobacco duty taxes,this goes as following,the tax due per one 1,75oz pouch or tin is $15 +then if the parcel originates from outside of EU region then there is the added Sales tax as % 24 calculated from total value of goods. These numbers seem to ace out even dramatic Canadian import taxes.

Speaking generally,any online tobacco orders from commercial vendors are considered as being against the current customs laws and prohibited. Excluding tobacco leaf containing gifts which are not exceeding the total weight of 2 oz or the $ 45 value.

Regardless of this absurd madness it looks like I'm to buy collectors tins' from 4 nog.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm guessing one of the big online stores buy 1000 x more product than a local B&M. I'm also guessing that earns them a substantial volume discount which they pass along in their prices in order to attract your business. I think it is good to try and place some of your business with your local shop. Helping them to justify stocking the product or even starting open may be well with the few extra bucks you spend.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'd love to support my B&M (and I do drop by to buy 1 oz every now and then), but I ain't paying over $50 CAD for a 1.75 oz tin.
Their bulk, which is quite limited, is $20 + Tax per ounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.