A "sweet" English

(66 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by texmexpipe
  • Latest reply from Frankenstein
  1. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm interested in finding a blend that consist of the typical english players, namely Latakia, that has a sweetness to it. In my imagination this would be a beautiful combination. I've heard of cross over blends but I'm not sure I'd this is reference to the mildness of a blend or its sweetness. I'm sure there has to be something out there worth giving a smoke that fits this idea.

Procrastinate Later. - I'll say this one day!
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

There are many... my favorite was always C&D Epiphany... very mild on the flavoring, so maybe not as sweet as you would like, but quite tasty.

If you like Grape Kool-Aid... there is always the infamous

I figured I would get to it before he did!

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I would definitely avoid any English blend that has been laced at the factory. Far better is to buy one you like and add your own flavored aromatic and adjust to your taste. Vanilla and chocolate aromatics are two I recommend. You might start with Butera's #1, #2, Old Dublin, some of the Frog blends, Foxhound. Add Evening Stroll or Bob's Choc. Flake or buy your own aromatic bulk. Just remember the amounts you mix for the future. If you have ever smoked Pembroke, Reiner's Professional Blend, or one of the other excellent aromatics, you might consider using them. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got some Maple Street on hand and I've thoughg about mixing it in with some EMP or Yule Log. I'll have to give it a try soon. Also on my list of stuff to try out is a few teaspoons of bourbon over some of the Yule Log as it is quite dry.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also like what are often referred to as "cross-over" blends. Among the ones I have in my rotation are C&D USS Mason, a Lat blend with brandy topping, Frog Morton On The Town, Two Friends' English Chocolate. all are very satisfying to me. Another blend I really like has no latakia but I find absolutely delightful is Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream. A Virginia blend with several cuts and a cognac topping. Wonderful smoke with a very pleasant room note.
    Good luck and have fun on your search.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. edwinbaz

edwinbaz

Login to Send PM

[Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.] English Blends are associated with having little to no flavoring and casing at all because of the purity laws that once existed in Great Britain. After a while Latakia became associated with them. By adding some flavoring the blender is just bridging the gap between aromatics and "English", so what makes it a crossover is the addition of vanilla, or cherry, or chocolate, etc. I don't necessarily think it's gonna be milder, but yes, It could be sweeter.
    As for recommendations, I agree that the Frog Morton series are a good bet. I also recommend Sam Gawith Perfection, and Two Brothers English Chocolate, but of course there are many other good ones. Can't wait to see what other people post.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a bulk blend at my B&M that I enjoy that is more of an oriental, but has a decent amount of lat in it; it still comes through, but the florals and the fruits are there. I'm sure there are lots of comparable blends available. Try searching on tobacco reviews.

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. daimyo

daimyo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally I like sweeter English blends but mainly when the sweet is in the form of Virginias. If you do want a mild topping, try Frog Morton's Cellar as others have said.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

edwinbaz is on the correct track as far as strict definition of English blends. They do not necessarily have to contain Latakia and may use "natural" flavorings- think Lakelands. However, from what I gather the OP, to my mind, is interested in exploring the cross-over offerings and that's a great thing. Many of the old American blends from 50 and 60 years ago would be classified as cross-overs. edwinbaz is also very correct in opining that they may not be milder but I, for one, find them interesting and intriguing when done well.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How about Cornell and Diehl "Sweet English"? Comes in bulk.

The folks at C&D start with a traditional American Cavendish base of Virginias, Burleys and Black Cavendish, add a dash of Latakia, and finish it with a specially formulated flavor mixture of caramel and vanilla.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

4noggins Bald Headed Teacher.

Mildly sweet, but as far as I know it does not have a topping.
    One of my favorites.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've heard a good deal about bald headed teacher, it is certainly on my list. I went and read about C&D USS Mason and its on the list, as is FMC. Thanks for the great replies.

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. ruscho

ruscho

Login to Send PM

I'm interested in finding a blend that consist of the typical english players, namely Latakia, that has a sweetness to it.

Dunhill Nightcap

/thread

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Bosworth's Northwoods or Lancer's Slices Both are sweet and smokey Latakia blends.

Northwoods is available only at Bosworth.

Lancer's Slices are available at 4Noggins.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ruscho, I enjoy Night Cap a lot! But if like something along those lines with a more pronounced sweetness.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found Balkan Saseni to be on the sweet side. No topping there, but just my impression of the blend.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  17. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll give a +1 for C&D Epiphany, it has a nice smokey sweetness.

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 4 years ago #
  18. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pembroke or Smokers Haven Cognac. Similar but different and both are very tasty.

Michael
    Posted 4 years ago #
  19. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

McClelland green label Oriental #1,#6, 8, 12 and #14. Number 1 may be too mild but the others, while not powerhouses are pretty sweet to me and well worth a try.

Mike S.

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimmyh

Login to Send PM

I have been hunting english blends on the sweet side myself for the past 6 months. For a light smoke Frog morton cellar is a good choice but i find it to weak the flavour just is far from "full" enough. Maltese Falcon from GLP and Dunhill London mixture are my go to smokes through the day at the moment along with mm965

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

lawmax3

Login to Send PM

IMO You just can't beat Maltese Falcon.

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. puffin

puffin

Login to Send PM

Frog Morton's Cellar is good...but if you want a traditional "english" blend with some sweetness I think Frog morton on the town fits the bill. Dry it out just a bit, and it has a wonderful natural sweetness to it!

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect. - Aldo leupold
    Posted 4 years ago #
  23. cobguy

cobguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sterling Tobacco's American Patriot is one of the sweeter English blends I've tried.

Here's a review from a PipesMagazine.com article:

American Patriot
    In keeping with the PipesMagazine connection, the last blend reviewed is American Patriot, a blend inspired by Penzance and concocted at the behest of forum member Marty Tannen ("mjtannen"). Not a clone of the Esoterica product, but inspired by it, American Patriot is a hearty English blend that should definitely appeal to adherents of that hard-to-find delicacy. Visually it’s a delight, a perfectly even mix of jet-black leaf and bright flue-cured and Oriental ribbon, packed loose and dry as opposed to Penzance’s moist wet flakes. In this lies its strength, as it lights, burns and draws infinitely better than that flake—often reaching the heel with a single light in fact—and delivers a decided Lat-bomb of flavor. The balance, like all of Jack’s efforts, is really quite perfect for the blend, and this should satisfy Latakiaphiles of all sorts, particularly those biding their time between Esoterica shipments.

Posted 4 years ago #
  24. ruscho

ruscho

Login to Send PM

ruscho, I enjoy Night Cap a lot! But if like something along those lines with a more pronounced sweetness.

You are not going to find anything "typical english player" sweeter than Nightcap, that's a fact.

People here tend to drift off and just list whatever they enjoy smoking, so most of the suggestions above will have absolutely no sweetness at all

That said, your best shot would be a blend by McClelland called "Jenidje Highlander". I personally have not smoked this particular one, but I have tried the Jenidje Supreme - and that's one sweet sonofabish! The "Highlander" is apparently the "Supreme" with Latakia, so I would try this, if I were you. Now, how "English" it would taste, that's another story

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipeworks & Wilke:

No. 5
    No. 13
    Pipemaker's Choice
    Bestmake

Posted 4 years ago #
  26. grouchydog

grouchydog

Login to Send PM

+1 to Pembroke, and I get some sweetness from MM965, one of my top 3 blends.

Posted 4 years ago #
  27. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nightcap is not sweet. Ruscho is playing head games with you, Texmexpipe.

I humbly submit:

Dunhil:l 965
    McClelland: 3 Oaks Syrian
    Butera Royal: Vintage Latakia No. 2
    Seattle Pipe Club: Mississippi River
    McClelland: Frog Morton's Cellar

Jerod
    Posted 4 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

natenice1

Login to Send PM

+1 Perique

Posted 4 years ago #
  29. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 to English Chocolate (Two Brothers)

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 4 years ago #
  30. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Srsly, try Newminister English Oriental and Arango Balkan Supreme then. Both are bulk only, about 36$ a pound. Sounds exactly like what you're looking for. I have both of them in my cellar and yeah, it's very nightcap like with sweetness.

You are not going to find anything "typical english player" sweeter than Nightcap, that's a fact.

I would disagree, both English Oriental and Balkan Supreme would be typical english players but sweeter than nightcap.

C&D's Epiphany I have and it is not at all sweet.

Lancers slices is smokey sweet and very enjoyable, I find it needs a bit of time though in a jar though, I just got a quarter pound of it and it has an ammonia kind of taste to it and a really nasty room clearing smell. I've had this happen though with other english bulk blends that goes away after a bit of time out in a jar.

Mississipi River and Plum Pudding by SPC are both excellent also but totally different than the nightcap sweeter blend you seek.

Posted 4 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Wow, lots of good suggestions here, some I will definitely be adding to my "try" list. One I enjoy is Sutliff's Balkan Luxury 957, has a good bit of Latakia yet some sweetness as well. Frog Morton Cellar, as others have mentioned, is a nice crossover blend.

Posted 4 years ago #
  32. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For something completely different there is Two Friends Valle Crucis which is alt blend with a ginger note. It's a strange lend but there us something about it that appeals to me sometimes.

Posted 4 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It is considered a Balkan blend but I immediately thought of Lane's Crown Achievement, the word "sweet" surfaces several times on page 1 of reviews, so I guess it isn't just me.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/657/lane-limited-crown-achievement

Posted 4 years ago #
  34. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I mixed some Maple Street and Nightcap together tonight and got a bowl of night cap that bites. I wasn't too upset as it still largely tasted like night cap, and I only mixed up enough for a cob full. It wasn't bad but not what I'm looking for. I want a pronounced almost aromatic sweetness on top of that lat-bomb taste. Maybe I'm asking for a unicorn, the feedback that y'all have given is great!

Posted 4 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

C&D's Epiphany I have and it is not at all sweet.

I would humbly disagree. It is not BCA sweet, but it is, IMO, a solid American/English blend with a subtle topping that adds a touch of sweetness.

But I guess that's the point of all of this... taste is subjective and quite personal.

One mans trash, and what not..

Posted 4 years ago #
  36. lucky695

lucky695

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Cobguy American Patriot is really good, but it reminded me a lot of a Frog morton blend which has been mentioned a lot here as well.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis
    Posted 4 years ago #
  37. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No mention of SPC MR? Seems it would fill the bill?
    whoops...I missed it in my first skim through...again...it's tobacco candy!

Posted 4 years ago #
  38. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Petersons Balkan Delight to me has a definite sweet/salt toffee edge.

+1 on SPC MR

Killing me won't bring back your apples.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  39. ruscho

ruscho

Login to Send PM

I want a pronounced almost aromatic sweetness on top of that lat-bomb taste. Maybe I'm asking for a unicorn, the feedback that y'all have given is great!

You are not looking for unicorn. Try the "Jenidje Highlander" and if it's not what you are looking for - I would eat my hat! The Orientals in it are soooooo sweet, I just can't finish my tin of Jenidje Supreme. Literally sweet as sugar, not flavored!

People suggesting Frog Morton and bulk English blends are leading you down the wrong path, i.e. light blends, not sweet ones.

Posted 4 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Literally sweet as sugar, not flavored! "

If it is that sweet then it has sugar added to it. There is no leaf out there that is sweet as sugar,naturally.

Posted 4 years ago #
  41. ruscho

ruscho

Login to Send PM

If it is that sweet then it has sugar added to it. There is no leaf out there that is sweet as sugar,naturally.

Pipe tobacco has sugar added to it, regardless.

This one is a mixture of sweet oriental and oriental cavendish, hence the extra sweetness. Is it topped? I don't think so. I get a tongue burn from any aromatic and this one is a cool customer. Just too sweet for my taste.

Posted 4 years ago #
  42. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've yet to explore the oriental blends but from all that I'm reading about them I think they will be something I enjoy.

Posted 4 years ago #
  43. hodirty

hodirty

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gatlin-Burlier's Cumberland (chocolatey, rasiny Flavored)
    The Smoker Wise Fox (not flavored, per say, but has alot of Black Cavendish)
    Yenidje Highlander (sweet, but not candy sweet. More like tangy sweet)
    H&H Mazatec (Mushroomy, earthy)
    C&D Epiphany (Quite a bit of burley, similar to Mazatec)
    Frog Morton Cellar (Whiskey Flavored)
    Chocolate Flake (Some chocolate taste, but kind of soapy)

I really like Lat. forward blends that are flavored as well. Some just have more of certain tobaccos in them. Such as burley or orientals. Orientals are IMO tangy, not what I would call "sweet". I'm on the same hunt as you, and these are all different than Traditional "English" blends.

I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.
    Robert W. Service
    Posted 4 years ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To me mixing aromatic with Latakia is like mixing Hershey's syrup with ketchup. Maybe it wouldn't be bad but it sounds too gross to try.

Posted 4 years ago #
  45. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't find Nightcap to be sweet.

I don't care for sweet latakia blends, but if I were to recommend two, it'd be GLP's Maltese Falcon and McClelland's Frog Morton Across the Pond.

Posted 4 years ago #
  46. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Order some Shortcut to Mushroomms from 4HIM. Sweet yummy English Crossover.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 4 years ago #
  47. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really like Maltese Falcon. The sweetness is all from the orientals and is not in your face. Tasty stuff. Pembroke is also pretty good if you want sweetness generated by booze (cognac, in the case of Pembroke).

Posted 4 years ago #
  48. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pardon me, but it sounds like an idiomatic exclamation: "Sweet Latakia!" Or, "Sweet Latakia in the Morning."

Posted 4 years ago #
  49. nurseman

nurseman

Login to Send PM

I find MM American Patriot to have some sweetness to it - it is bourbon topped. I agree on Maltese Falcon

Women thrive on novelty and are easy meat for the commerce of fashion. Men prefer old pipes and torn jackets. --Anthony Burgess
    Posted 4 years ago #
  50. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mso489, now that you mention it, it does indeed sound like an idiomatic exclamation. I think I'll add it to my rotation! Example; Sweet Latakia! That was a redonculous (way worse than ridiculous) line at the bank. Or: Sweet Latakia, that guy has the most mantastic beard ever.

+35.5 for Mso's observation

Posted 4 years ago #
  51. minfarshaw

minfarshaw

Login to Send PM

I don't have a big selection of English blends. I've been smoking mostly vapers. However, the sweetest blend I have is White Knight. I love it. It has dethroned Early Morning Pipe as my morning smoke. It's like sweet incense but super mild and smokes cool. Also, I don't get the bitter taste at the bottom.

Posted 4 years ago #
  52. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll (+1) on all of the Frogs, H&H Mazatec, and Gatlin-Burlier's Cumberland!

Posted 4 years ago #
  53. cuchulain

Flynn

Login to Send PM

I'm surprised John Bull hasn't been mentioned yet. It's relatively sweet, with Black Cavendish, VA, burley and a hint of Latakia mostly for a bit of flavor. Not a lat bomb by any means, but a decent starter English. Relatively cheap as well.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."- John Wayne
    Posted 4 years ago #
  54. roryrumfelt

roryrumfelt

Login to Send PM

+1 on the John Bull, that and HH ten to midnight are my suggestions. even being able to buy the 20 dollar a tin stuff, I still REALLY enjoy john bull.
    P.s. the john bull cigars arent worth it! hahaha had to say it somwhere.

Posted 4 years ago #
  55. melvinsunsmokedcastello

melvinsunsmokedcastello

Login to Send PM

Kinda late to this one but any Frog Morton should fit the bill...

or if you really wanna try something go for C&D's Cross eyed cricket! Latakia fruit punch. Weird stuff but everyone should try it at least once!

Samuel Gawith/Gawith & Hoggarth rope and plug junkie..
    Posted 4 years ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

My vote goes to Russ at P&C's new White Knight. A definite sweetness to go with the lat smokiness.

Posted 4 years ago #
  57. briarfriar

briarfriar

Login to Send PM

Is not an English mixture with sweet ingredient(s) called a Scottish blend?

Jay

Posted 4 years ago #
  58. ithelouniverse

ithelouniverse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For what it's worth, I really enjoy mans best friend from the fellas at sutliff...

Posted 4 years ago #
  59. cobguy

cobguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gotta' throw in another vote for SPC's Plum Pudding.

I've been smoking this stuff like it was going out of style!

Posted 4 years ago #
  60. dryseason91

dryseason91

Login to Send PM

I find McClelland's British Woods to have a subtly sweet, almost lemony undertone clinging to the shirttails of the latakia. Not very pronounced, but always noticeable, and I'd guess more to do with the interplay of the virginias and orientals than just the Vas alone.

Tenants of the house,
    Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season.
    - 'Gerontion'
    Posted 4 years ago #
  61. natibo

natibo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Iwan Ries Dr. Bradley is exactly what you're looking for. I love it. It is underrated.

Bo
    Posted 4 years ago #
  62. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Frog Morton Cellar (no Orientals, though).

Also, Three Oaks Syrian is fairly sweet, and darn good in any case.

Posted 4 years ago #
  63. jthomas04

jthomas04

Login to Send PM

Esoterica's And So To Bed. Very sweet, and tasty. One of my favorites.

Posted 4 years ago #
  64. mrmotoyoshi

mrmotoyoshi

Login to Send PM

I've found that Lane Crown Achievement and Nightcap are a little on the sweet side. But don't know if you would enjoy them. Peter Stokkebye English Luxury and English Oriental are very sweet. They both have cavendish in them.

If you want a really nice mild-medium English, I would highly recommend Sutliff's Kasimir. Very enjoyable dessert English.

Stay away from SG Perfection.

I'm an expert in my own opinion
    Posted 4 years ago #
  65. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a bowl of Mississippi River tonight and it really hit that sweetness thing for me. So did FMC. Thanks for all the great input.

Posted 4 years ago #
  66. frank13

Frankenstein

Login to Send PM

Lane's "Crown Achievement" fits the bill nicely. Latakia, Perique, Orientals, and Virginias. First quarter of the bowl, you get the spiciness of the Latakia and Perique. As you make your way through it, the sweetness of the Orientals and Virginias begin to really make a strong showing.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   judcole