Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I really like Maltese Falcon. The sweetness is all from the orientals and is not in your face. Tasty stuff. Pembroke is also pretty good if you want sweetness generated by booze (cognac, in the case of Pembroke).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pardon me, but it sounds like an idiomatic exclamation: "Sweet Latakia!" Or, "Sweet Latakia in the Morning."

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I find MM American Patriot to have some sweetness to it - it is bourbon topped. I agree on Maltese Falcon

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Mso489, now that you mention it, it does indeed sound like an idiomatic exclamation. I think I'll add it to my rotation! Example; Sweet Latakia! That was a redonculous (way worse than ridiculous) line at the bank. Or: Sweet Latakia, that guy has the most mantastic beard ever.
+35.5 for Mso's observation

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I don't have a big selection of English blends. I've been smoking mostly vapers. However, the sweetest blend I have is White Knight. I love it. It has dethroned Early Morning Pipe as my morning smoke. It's like sweet incense but super mild and smokes cool. Also, I don't get the bitter taste at the bottom.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I'm surprised John Bull hasn't been mentioned yet. It's relatively sweet, with Black Cavendish, VA, burley and a hint of Latakia mostly for a bit of flavor. Not a lat bomb by any means, but a decent starter English. Relatively cheap as well.

roryrumfelt

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
+1 on the John Bull, that and HH ten to midnight are my suggestions. even being able to buy the 20 dollar a tin stuff, I still REALLY enjoy john bull.

P.s. the john bull cigars arent worth it! hahaha had to say it somwhere.

Oct 12, 2014
Kinda late to this one but any Frog Morton should fit the bill...
or if you really wanna try something go for C&D's Cross eyed cricket! Latakia fruit punch. Weird stuff but everyone should try it at least once!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Gotta' throw in another vote for SPC's Plum Pudding.
I've been smoking this stuff like it was going out of style! :puffy:

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I find McClelland's British Woods to have a subtly sweet, almost lemony undertone clinging to the shirttails of the latakia. Not very pronounced, but always noticeable, and I'd guess more to do with the interplay of the virginias and orientals than just the Vas alone.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Frog Morton Cellar (no Orientals, though).
Also, Three Oaks Syrian is fairly sweet, and darn good in any case.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I've found that Lane Crown Achievement and Nightcap are a little on the sweet side. But don't know if you would enjoy them. Peter Stokkebye English Luxury and English Oriental are very sweet. They both have cavendish in them.
If you want a really nice mild-medium English, I would highly recommend Sutliff's Kasimir. Very enjoyable dessert English.
Stay away from SG Perfection.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I had a bowl of Mississippi River tonight and it really hit that sweetness thing for me. So did FMC. Thanks for all the great input.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Lane's "Crown Achievement" fits the bill nicely. Latakia, Perique, Orientals, and Virginias. First quarter of the bowl, you get the spiciness of the Latakia and Perique. As you make your way through it, the sweetness of the Orientals and Virginias begin to really make a strong showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.