PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I'm interested in finding a blend that consist of the typical english players, namely Latakia, that has a sweetness to it. In my imagination this would be a beautiful combination. I've heard of cross over blends but I'm not sure I'd this is reference to the mildness of a blend or its sweetness. I'm sure there has to be something out there worth giving a smoke that fits this idea.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I've got some Maple Street on hand and I've thoughg about mixing it in with some EMP or Yule Log. I'll have to give it a try soon. Also on my list of stuff to try out is a few teaspoons of bourbon over some of the Yule Log as it is quite dry.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I also like what are often referred to as "cross-over" blends. Among the ones I have in my rotation are C&D USS Mason, a Lat blend with brandy topping, Frog Morton On The Town, Two Friends' English Chocolate. all are very satisfying to me. Another blend I really like has no latakia but I find absolutely delightful is Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream. A Virginia blend with several cuts and a cognac topping. Wonderful smoke with a very pleasant room note.

Good luck and have fun on your search.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
[Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.] English Blends are associated with having little to no flavoring and casing at all because of the purity laws that once existed in Great Britain. After a while Latakia became associated with them. By adding some flavoring the blender is just bridging the gap between aromatics and "English", so what makes it a crossover is the addition of vanilla, or cherry, or chocolate, etc. I don't necessarily think it's gonna be milder, but yes, It could be sweeter.

As for recommendations, I agree that the Frog Morton series are a good bet. I also recommend Sam Gawith Perfection, and Two Brothers English Chocolate, but of course there are many other good ones. Can't wait to see what other people post.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
There is a bulk blend at my B&M that I enjoy that is more of an oriental, but has a decent amount of lat in it; it still comes through, but the florals and the fruits are there. I'm sure there are lots of comparable blends available. Try searching on tobacco reviews.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Personally I like sweeter English blends but mainly when the sweet is in the form of Virginias. If you do want a mild topping, try Frog Morton's Cellar as others have said.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
edwinbaz is on the correct track as far as strict definition of English blends. They do not necessarily have to contain Latakia and may use "natural" flavorings- think Lakelands. However, from what I gather the OP, to my mind, is interested in exploring the cross-over offerings and that's a great thing. Many of the old American blends from 50 and 60 years ago would be classified as cross-overs. edwinbaz is also very correct in opining that they may not be milder but I, for one, find them interesting and intriguing when done well.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
How about Cornell and Diehl "Sweet English"? Comes in bulk.
The folks at C&D start with a traditional American Cavendish base of Virginias, Burleys and Black Cavendish, add a dash of Latakia, and finish it with a specially formulated flavor mixture of caramel and vanilla.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
4noggins Bald Headed Teacher.
Mildly sweet, but as far as I know it does not have a topping.

One of my favorites.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I've heard a good deal about bald headed teacher, it is certainly on my list. I went and read about C&D USS Mason and its on the list, as is FMC. Thanks for the great replies.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I'm interested in finding a blend that consist of the typical english players, namely Latakia, that has a sweetness to it.
Dunhill Nightcap
/thread

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
ruscho, I enjoy Night Cap a lot! But if like something along those lines with a more pronounced sweetness.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
McClelland green label Oriental #1,#6, 8, 12 and #14. Number 1 may be too mild but the others, while not powerhouses are pretty sweet to me and well worth a try.
Mike S.

jimmyh

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
I have been hunting english blends on the sweet side myself for the past 6 months. For a light smoke Frog morton cellar is a good choice but i find it to weak the flavour just is far from "full" enough. Maltese Falcon from GLP and Dunhill London mixture are my go to smokes through the day at the moment along with mm965

puffin

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2010
Frog Morton's Cellar is good...but if you want a traditional "english" blend with some sweetness I think Frog morton on the town fits the bill. Dry it out just a bit, and it has a wonderful natural sweetness to it!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sterling Tobacco's American Patriot is one of the sweeter English blends I've tried.
Here's a review from a PipesMagazine.com article:
American Patriot

In keeping with the PipesMagazine connection, the last blend reviewed is American Patriot, a blend inspired by Penzance and concocted at the behest of forum member Marty Tannen ("mjtannen"). Not a clone of the Esoterica product, but inspired by it, American Patriot is a hearty English blend that should definitely appeal to adherents of that hard-to-find delicacy. Visually it’s a delight, a perfectly even mix of jet-black leaf and bright flue-cured and Oriental ribbon, packed loose and dry as opposed to Penzance’s moist wet flakes. In this lies its strength, as it lights, burns and draws infinitely better than that flake—often reaching the heel with a single light in fact—and delivers a decided Lat-bomb of flavor. The balance, like all of Jack’s efforts, is really quite perfect for the blend, and this should satisfy Latakiaphiles of all sorts, particularly those biding their time between Esoterica shipments.

Status
Not open for further replies.