PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I know our music interests are often displayed here, especially in threads such as "What Music Are You listening To." But if you were to create a full playlist of songs to listen to especially while you smoked your pipe, what would it look like. I personally listen to music in many genres, and although I'm a huge fan of metal and heavy metal bands, it's a genre I can rarely listen to while smoking a pipe. It kills the mood I'm trying to achieve. Instead I listen to some country, or a little blues, or some classical, or perhaps a movie score, or some Frank Sinatra (love Sinatra). But especially celtic, or celtic inspired music. I usually won't mix up genres in my playlist, so this morning I thought hard about what I would more than likely listen to over anything else in a playlist for myself and came up with this one (so far) that I'll be creating to listen to regularly.
Loreena McKennitt: Mummers Dance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzE32ChEp24
Eurielle: Carry Me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPtFy7OnGE
Clannad: I Will Find You (You may remember this from the movie, The Last Of The Mohicans) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CI7Fo4p0v8
The Gael (Promontory) from The Last Of The Mohicans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B1OAtD_VIA
The Misty Mountains Cold from The Hobbit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEm0AjTbsac It's short, so this is a doubled up version of it. Also Peter Hollens does a fantastic cover of it along with Tim Foust definitely worth checking out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb2HR47npEU
Into The West from The Lord of The Rings/Return of The King. This is a song that almost always brings me to tears. And a song, I listened to often after I my father passed away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shdiTRxTJb4
Loreena McKennitt: The Highwayman. McKennitt certainly weaves a tale with this one. If you like your music to really tell a story, then listen. Perhaps smoke a clay pipe while you do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gZOSQN1hmM
Who else has a playlist they like to listen to while smoking your pipe? What music is on the playlist, or what music would be on it if you made one?

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
For me it would be primarily classical, especially string/wind chamber music: quartets, quintets, sonatas, etc.
Depending on my mood and blend(s), larger works might be just right, even a great requiem (Mozart comes to mind). But I could also enjoy some such as those you listed. Perhaps even Dead Can Dance. Some Nuevo Flamenco depending, again, on circumstances, locale, mood, etc.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
With the morning smoke, I'm with you techie. Only want chamber music while gently easing into my day with high-test coffee. While I only listen to music routinely with my am smoke, will occasionally listen to it while smoking throughout the day. Then, though, it's blues, progressive bluegrass, or traditional Celtic music.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
There's a great Loreena McKennitt concert on Netflix right now. (not sure if their url's work in this fashion)
I do most of my smoking in the afternoon while web-surfing or evening while sharing some boob-tube time with my wife. When by myself, I often put on some electronic noise (think Deadmau5).
I listen to classical while doing some work deliveries in the work van but no smoking there. Part of my domestic bliss pact is making my wife waffles, bacon and coffee on my days off and we often tune in the Baroque hour on our local station.
jay-roger.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
There's a great Loreena McKennitt concert on Netflix right now. (not sure if their url's work in this fashion)
It worked for me. Took me right into a playing on full screen. I have a Netflix account though, but it probably won't work for someone who doesn't. I did not know this was on Netflix. I'm going to watch it right now. Thanks, Jay :D

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Loreena McKennitt-Mystic's Dream

Enya-Watermark

Clannad-Harry's Game

October Project-Bury My Lovely

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
A quality LP-player, CD-player and stereo system are on my wish list, but with littleuns, TAD, PAD and everything, it'll have to wait. For now, it's I-Tunes and Youtube. I love music, and what's good is also good with a pipe. I am an occasional metal man, but mostly I listen to rather old music, often of the story-telling kind. My playlists are long, and there's country: Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, Dolly, Cash, Jennings, Kristofferson, Nelson, Patsy Cline, Emmylou, Haggard etc., there's folk: Gordon Lightfoot, The Dubliners, Danny Doyle, Clancy Brothers, Joan Baez etc., singer-songwriter: Dylan, Cohen, Blues: Blind Willie McTell, Sonny Boy Williamson, Son House, Geeshie Wylie, Fats Domino etc, jazz: Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Miles Davis, Acker Bilk and just tons of stuff. Maybe not cool stuff but good. Also with a pipe.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Love me some good chamber music once in a while. Also love to play on some 40's music, especially when I'm drinking a smooth, higher priced whiskey. When I'm in the mood for a little Bulliet and with my Black Frigate I'll pull out the country tracks, little old, little new. I'm with y'all for a nice Celtic experience though.
"The Little Lady" - Mithril

"Tenpenny Bit" - Dervish

Anything by Culann's Hounds ("The Skylark" is a favorite)

Anything by Lunasa ("Harp & Shamrock" is a favorite)

"The Woman of Ireland" - The Chieftans

"Wee Michael's March" - Battlefield Band

"Will Ye Go Lassie, Go" - Pretty much anyone that does this well. The High Kings version is great.

"Outlawed Tunes on Outlawed Pipes" - From the Braveheart soundtrack....love it.
My Celtic selection is so all over the place, I typically just let either my Pandora or Spotify Irish stations just....go, let them go. Not much I don't like, except the Scottish tattoos can be a little loud and rough for relaxation purposes.
Really am loving "Drowns the Whiskey" by Jason Aldean right now. Makes me want to buy a bottle of JD, but I'm a Bulliet man.

magicalgibbon

Lurker
Jul 15, 2018
UK
The downside (although I don’t reckon it’s much of a downside, if I’m honest) of LPs, is that you can’t make a playlist. They suit pipe smoking though as they encourage real ‘sit down, relax and listen’ listening. Having said that, if I play something that compels me to sing along I may love it but it doesn’t help with my ‘cadence’. Shotgun Willie may be one of my favourite LPs... but it requires about 50 relights.
I like a bit of techno or - other extreme - a bit of Iron Maiden... but that gets me puffing away like a steam engine in a nightclub.
Maybe a bit of Pink Floyd, or Miles Davis In A Silent Way - both excellent pipe options for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All the B's except Bartôk. Several M's. But now I smoke more often on the golf course than anywhere, so it's just birds for song, and joshing with the guys or gals in the group.
And while I don't do what you do, Anthony, that's impressive!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I saw Maiden in 2000 in Roskilde, Denmark. The sun was setting, and Bruce Dickinson opened the show with: "Roskilde - it's getting..." and we all screamed "DAAAARK!!!" - And so it began :worship:

Jan 8, 2013
Lindsey Stirling
...is awesome! 8)
I saw Maiden in 2000 in Roskilde, Denmark. The sun was setting, and Bruce Dickinson opened the show with: "Roskilde - it's getting..." and we all screamed "DAAAARK!!!" - And so it began :worship:
Opened the show with Fear Of The Dark, I'm assuming? That was the Brave New World Tour in 2000, after Bruce Dickinson rejoined the band. I saw that show when they came to Dallas, Texas. I was stoked! They were ok with Blaze Bayley on vocals, and I even seen them live when they were touring for The X Factor with Blaze Bayley. But they were only ok, not fantastic like they are with Bruce Dickinson. Needless to say, seeing them with Bruce again was a must, and I've seen them a few times since then. The first album I ever bought with my own money (money made from allowance, chores and such... or maybe I sold my school lunches for money, not sure) was Iron Maiden's Killers album... Pre-Dickinson of course, but I've been hooked ever since. :mrgreen:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" The Platters
I also enjoy music of short, gone, white guys. Mostly they wore Nudie suits, sang about unrequited love and train wrecks. Or, just the unrequited love or ... just the train wreck. Haggard did an album of unrequited love of trains. See, trains can't return love as they are inanimate ..... oh, the hell with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.