PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Duane, since you mentioned October Project... The first time I heard Mary Fahl, formerly of October Project was the song, Going Home, she recorded for the movie God's And Generals. I fell in absolute love. Lovely woman with a lovely voice. I may have to add that song to my playlist.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Well Anthony, we are on the same track. I think the first album I bought was Powerslave. I am not sure though, it might have been ...And Jusice for All by Metallica. I bought them when I was 10-11 years old. Iron Maiden are just so easy to like with their combination of drama, some culture and history and lots of humour.

Jan 8, 2013
and lots of humour.
Very true.
7904cf2c44dc562a02340f781fc087ae.jpg

And few people look as cool as Bruce on stage.
photo-of-iron-maiden-and-bruce-dickinson-bruce-dickinson-performing-picture-id85337228

And how does Bruce Dickinson still do this stuff at his age???
bruce-dickinson-iron-maiden-performs-at-the-bank-atlantic-center-on-K67Y51.jpg

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
There's a great Loreena McKennitt concert on Netflix right now.
I watched the concert on Netflix a while back. She was last here in Pittsburgh in 2016 and, unfortunately, I missed the show.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I mostly listen to the music of long dead white guys.
If we define "long" as a quarter century or more, there's at least one or two of those I listen to...as well as several recent dead ones...and a few more soon to be dead ones.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Great thread, Anthony!
I've made the same experience, metal and piping just don't mix well.

For pipe smoking there has to be calmer music. Like others suggested; country, classic, singer-songwriters.
For suggestions I like to add Chris Rea and The Handsome Family.
Intro theme from True Detective,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4zluA60hjs

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I've never thought about this question.
I'm not too picky. I mostly listen to the music of long dead white guys.
Sable, :rofl:
OP, get on True Detective. The theme song is amazing, and the show delivers. Season 1 is just 8 hours. I believe in you.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
When I'm having a pipe it's typically while listening to old radio show episodes or watching SmokingPipes' YouTube channel. Sometimes I'll rewatch old Country Squire episodes on YouTube as well. Don't typically listen to music though.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Not so much a list for me as a throwback channeling thing. Back the first few years when I was "young" into the pipe, stuff on FM radio was Blues Image ("Ride, Captain Ride"), the Doors, Moody Blues, the Who, etc., etc. -- you know, "*that* crowd...." If I was awake I had a stem in my mouth, so the association became almost ingrained, to the point that even now I can feel it. Most of the time in the car I also have my phone's bluetooth set for my music & I still like the same stuff I did then, so it's even easier to just put my mental playlist back into the late 60s/early-mid 70s. :)
Bill

Jan 8, 2013
Moody Blues
Bill, I love the Moody Blues. Much of their music is timeless. I think they're often overlooked and underrated, and that they were well ahead of their time in songwriting and sound. Great band.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
You dead sho got that right, Anthony. You want mellow, or introspective, or hard rock, or whatthehellever, they've got it. Dire Straits too.
I was driving to a job interview once in a city about 160 miles from home, & the only thing I played was Heavy Fuel. Volume at 11. The entire way there. And back. It was *exactly* what I wanted to get my mind in the groove.
And yeah, I got the job, too. ;)

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
I usually listen to one of Spotify's jazz playlists while smoking, most frequently Jazz Classics. If Bradley from Stuff & Things has a new video up, I'll watch that.
Great story, bnichols. I like Dire Straits as well, both their music and the quality of their recordings.

Status
Not open for further replies.