Your Opinion on Kentucky Fire-Cured Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title ( See Rule 9 )

I have tried this both as part of a non-aromatic blend and also as a cigar made by Drew Estate.

I tried it with an open mind and a fresh palette and.. sorry I just can't do it.

It's just too smoky in a way that I can' t seem to tolerate. It possibly reminds me of the stank odor of campfires in my area that are built using the wrong type of tree.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have tried this both as part of a non-aromatic blend and also as a cigar made by Drew Estate.

I tried it with an open mind and a fresh palette and.. sorry I just can't do it.

It's just too smoky in a way that I can' t seem to tolerate. It possibly reminds me of the stank odor of campfires in my area that are built using the wrong type of tree.

Your thoughts?
Don’t write off all DFK. Every type and process has different qualities.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I grew up in dark fired country, so I love it because it tastes very familiar and homey to me. In my opinion, there is nothing in the world that smells as good as driving past a barn with tobacco firing inside, rolling the windows down, and smelling that smoky goodness.

It’s also worth noting that dark fired tobacco is also grown in a couple of counties in northern Middle Tennessee, especially Robertson and Montgomery counties.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I like it on occasion and in condimental amounts. The last few years have seen a slew of blends using it, I suspect as a less expensive substitute for Perique, and in some cases that's been detrimental as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a fan of blends that use both dark fired and Perique as I think that the dark fired blurs the Perique. The HU Director's Cut that I bought last year had much more dark fired in it than what I bought in years prior, and it's not been as good. I'm hoping that a few years in the jar will tame down the dark fired in that blend.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Brobs brought up a good point in that the taste can vary quite a bit depending on its origin. The African DFK used by a lot of European blenders is quite different from the American version. Personally, I tend to like it in all varieties, for its flavor and the extra body and nicotine it adds to blends. I do think it can overwhelm VAs fairly easily and is best used with a light hand for VA-based blends. A heavier hand is good for a dark-flake style (a la 1792, Lakeland Dark, Bold Kentucky).

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
It always reminds me of bbq sauce for some reason. I like it.
That’s because the tobacco has effectively been smoked as one would smoke a brisket.

Farmers hang the tobacco in the rafters of barns, then smolder sawdust on the floor of the barn for several days. The barns are kept shut, and this imparts the barbecue/smoke flavor to the tobacco. Also, the barns all look like they’re on fire, which is cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.