Your Opinion on Kentucky Fire-Cured Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

119 Fresh Peterson Pipes
6 Fresh Radice Pipes
48 Fresh Chacom Pipes
3 Fresh Alex Florov Pipes
3 Fresh Jared Coles Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Well it's a burley, and has a bbq campfire thug going on. So if you don't like either of those things, then it might not hit the spot. I personally love it. The strength and bbq campfire aroma(like smoking smoke!) I do my own blending and sometimes use a heavy hand with it. Burns cool. Also has a chocolate flavour and floral notes as well. Stoving it really smooths it out and takes some harsh edge off, but it looses many subtleties

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I like it, but as condiment, rather than a significant blend component. I would suggest if you pick up something like ODF, and find it too much smoking it straight play around with blending it in with something virginia until you find a ratio where you can appreciate the smokeyness....or maybe you just don't like it and that is a win too since you can scratch off 450 blends you never need to bother trying!

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
NICE!!! Where do you get a stick like that? (I know, from the farmer you dumb ass)... rotf
As a rule we buy leaf and (very poorly) twist it ourselves. Usually a small monetary consideration on top of the leaf price will bring a few sticks out.
I’m told this years crop is promising, and I’m looking forward to it.
Imagine smoking Copenhagen that’s infused with chocolate and BBQ.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Absolutely love it, can't get enough of it.
I love both its tamed form (Old Dark Fired) where the sweetness of the Virginia, the steaming and pressing, and the MacBaren topping make it take on a woody, oaky, BBQ taste, as a condiment giving spice to blends like Director's Cut, as a vessel for carrying strong flavouring and supplying a nic hit such as in Samuel Gawith's 1792 flake, and as a main component in the brute that is TAK/Motzek Tom's Dark Twist.

Next step for me is to mutilate a Toscano cigar (100% Dark Fired) and smoke it in a pipe.

I love it, but there are some leaf types that I don't. I don't think it is necessary to talk you into loving the same things I do. It's fun to have a leaf or brand that you hate. People who just love all leaf and all brands are boring twits. And, people who take offence to someone not agreeing with them that everyone should love everything are also.

Embrace your hate, use it. Feel it move through you, and make great posts that crack us up about your impassioned hatred for the DFK.

Me? I hate most codger blends. Overly sweetened, flavored crap. They are the Swisher Sweets of the pipe world. puffy

Enjoy your stay at the Cosmic Sanitarium.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
I get sort of a hickory/spicy BBQ.

I think you may have pinned down the exact note about DFK/KFC that I have trouble with. For what it's worth, I absolutely love Latakia so smoky tobaccos are fine with me, but there is a specific quality to DFK that I find somewhat harsh and it may be the hickory note.

Reactions: NomadOrb and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think you may have pinned down the exact note about DFK/KFC that I have trouble with. For what it's worth, I absolutely love Latakia so smoky tobaccos are fine with me, but there is a specific quality to DFK that I find somewhat harsh and it may be the hickory note.
So you’d rather smoke burned horse shit. ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like any other tobacco whether used as a single leaf, the base of a blend, or as a condiment, dark-fired is tasty to some, annoying to others, and throw-up awful to still others. Frankly, I find it a relief, as a condiment, to the default overuse of Latakia and Perique. I love both Latakia and Perique used in a measured way in careful proportion. Unfortunately, they have become a nasty habitual reflex with blenders who will throw it in almost anything, upstaging other condiments, and often not harmoniously with the other constituent tobaccos. So I enjoy dark-fired very much, but hope it will not become another reflexive addition to every other blend. It's like proportions of foods on a plate; often less is more.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
View attachment 42153View attachment 42154
This is Dark Fired Twist, prepared by the farmer who grew it.
Cut a hunk, drop it in your pipe. Some of the best stuff I’ve ever smoked.
I notice newspaper and ziplock bags. Is this just a photo shoot, or do you roll with the paper and store sticks in the bags? I have about 3lbs of dark fired whole leaf and was planning on doing some twists with it. However I thought I would do them one at a time and as needed to avoid the need of a humidor etc for longer term storage, unless you have found them less fussy than your average stick?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I like several blends that feature it, but nothing with too high a proportion. My preferences have always leaned toward the flavors usually provided by Virginias, and I do not care for latakia. But when done right, DFK has it's place for me.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I notice newspaper and ziplock bags. Is this just a photo shoot, or do you roll with the paper and store sticks in the bags? I have about 3lbs of dark fired whole leaf and was planning on doing some twists with it. However I thought I would do them one at a time and as needed to avoid the need of a humidor etc for longer term storage, unless you have found them less fussy than your average stick?
Newspaper was on the table by coincidence, and I do keep the sticks in the bags. The one on the left (for some reason the skinnier the stick, the more potent) has been dubbed Hannibal Lechter, and has been isolated from the general population. That one makes me see colors that aren’t even there.

Status
Not open for further replies.