PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
There are a few commercially successful 'master' blenders and we've got a few right here on the forum.

When Brass was running the Pax monthly crawls I took part in the month of Pease blends and we got to try Sixpence, Quiet Nights, JKP, and what was that other one? Sextant?

I don't usually buy tins, but I did partake of about 3 of those crawls, hoping to expand my knowledge and taste some of the more expensive tinned stuff.

Of the Pease blends I've read most often here on the forums that seem to have a following I've yet to try:

Gaslight

Key Largo

Union SQ.

Fillmore

Chelsea Morning?

Embarcadero

Ashbury

Suffice to say, this is a line of blends that are from the top shelf.

My faves so far are the plugs, Triple Play and JKP, but Sixpence and Quiet Nights come in right there too.

Ashbury and Laurel Heights. I just can't let my eyes skim over all of the McClelland and Astleys in my stock and grab a GLP Virginia. But, Laurel Heights has a smidgen of latakia which makes it different enough to stand out for me.

I also love Key Largo for special occasions in the sun. Haddos! ...makes me crazy. I can't smoke just one. I end up sucking down the whole tin, so I have to ration it to myself.

And, after smoking quite a few Warrior plugs, Velvan, Salty Dog... I just can't do his plugs.
But, not only is Mr. Pease a wonderful blender, but he is a boon to the whole pipe community with his blogs and words of wisdom on the hobby.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. I do appreciate it. I know GL Pease puts out some top shelf product and would try them all, time and budget allowing. I am a big fan of the darker, stronger leaves with bold flavors - Latakia and dark fired Kentucky to be more specific and I'm not so much a fan of Perique or bright Virginias. Seems like Jackknife, Gaslight, Odyssey, Quiet Nights, Charing Cross, Abingdon might be more to my liking. Anyone have samples of the above that they may be willing to part with? I have a selection of tobaccos I'm looking to trade if anyone is interested, please pm me. Thanks again. I'm very happy to have found this community as I'm having a hard time finding other pipe smokers in Brooklyn NY.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Triple Play hands down, but I have unopened Gaslight and Haddo's waiting in the wings, unopened. GLP Westminster is an excellent refined blend, but just a shade too mild for me. If I want refined and mild, I think Nat Sherman 536 is it. Triple Play has strength, flavor, complexity, character and uniqueness. I'm not sure most new pipe smokers can quite "get" GLP blends. They're like really good wine that requires some experience to understand and appreciate.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I find JKP and SixPence to be sort of Meh. I have Gaslight, Quiet Nights and Triple Play in the cellar, have to see how those go. My understanding is that C&D blends his tobacco and I haven't found any C&D blends to my liking either, not sure this is related or not.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I really want to like all of his blends because I like his ethos but fresh out of the tin most leave me wanting. The exception for me is Chelsea Morning. I love that blend fresh or aged.
Union Square is great after 4-5 years and Laurel hts and Telegraph Hill are very good after a year or two. Finally Haddos, it's up and down for me but I can't see not having some.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I was browsing last night and found the "Two Friends" line GLP/C&D Collaboration. I thought the English Chocolate looked really interesting.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Caravan is my favorite Balkan of his, but they are all good. Cairo is another favorite, as well as Gaslight.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I really enjoy every GLP blend that I have tried. Union Square, Westminister, Quiet Nights, and Jack Knife Plug are my favorites though

May 31, 2012
JackKnife Plug for me.
zALNRVe.jpg

A tobacco that is more than a tobacco,

from a man who is more than a man,

Long Live The GLP !!!

:puffy:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If you want big, bold Kentucky flavor, JackKnife Plug is your tobacco. Triple Play is also good -- a truly unique tobacco that's a little more complex than JackKnife. I go back and fort as to which is my favorite of the two plugs. Cumberland is also excellent, especially if you can find an older tin.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
Do we know if GLP has said anything about how the new FDA stuff is likely to affect him? I'd hate to see his blends disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.