Young pipe smoker, need some suggestions!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Snowflake from highlands is something I like quite a bit! Reminds me of cookies. If she complains about a sweet cookie smell than I think you are out of luck brutha!

Happy puffing! :puffy:

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
I will be sure to check out some of these tobaccos you guys are suggesting, I like trying new stuff! As if I didn't have enough tobacco already! Haha! Shoot, I've got enough to last me years.
Plus I also have some Havana tobacco growing in my garden.
~Levi

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
My suggestion is to smoke for yourself, and not for others. McClellands Red Cake is a step in the right direction if you're looking to try a non-aro.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I have suggested it on here before but Hobbits Weed from Tewksbury& Company imho smells awesome she shouldn't mind it too much.

deadwoodpete

Lurker
May 31, 2012
Although I'm a die hard Black Cavendish man myself, I do run through the occasional sample (2oz,or less) of other tobaccos.
P&G's BlackHouse is excellent, as is Cerberus in their Marquee series. Under their regular Hearth and Home tobaccos, 10 to Midnight, Grandma's Kitchen, and House of Lords are good too. (That's actually about all I've had the $$ to sample so far, but they are darn good.)
I stick to my BC... but every once in a while you just want something different.
BTW, Levi. That is one sweet Remington. I am officially jealous. :worship:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I thought long and hard...so here goes ;-)
Dude, for one.. congrats on the pipes, love that Army model revolver you've got there and proud of you for helping around the house.
Now.. from a guy who's raised 5 kids and several foster kids somewhere along the road... it's their house. You live there, and you help, which is great and under appreciated by many parents. On the other hand, you don't like the "bitching" or moaning ? You love pipe smoking, she doesn't. Deal with the moaning. You don't like it. Well, you're 18, make a bag, move out. Their house, their rules. Suck it up.
Sorry to put it so bluntly, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
And as a side note... if you had that Remington in my house against my will outside of my control, outside of my safe and trigger locks, I would have packed up all your stuff and put it on the sidewalk. Gun included. The only guns in my house are controlled by me. No loose guns in my house. The fact that they let you keep it even though it appears your mom doesn't want you to have anything bigger than a BB gun speaks volumes on the slack they cut you. Especially with something as lethal as a gun. Hope you store it somewhere your kid brother can't get to it ;-)
Getting of my soap box and smoking a bowl now ;-) If I'm ever over on the West Coast, I'd be happy to smoke one with ya... :puffpipe:
Oh yeah and good smelling stuff.. my wife, who hates smoking, likes 1-Q, Great Outdoors, Mark Twain (A&C Peterson), Alexander Bridge (Sutliff) and especially the Peterson Holiday 2011.

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Well I'm glad you like my New Model Army. The Remington NMA was produced during the civil war as a "belt pistol" because it could be kept in a flap holster on the belt. It was used by the Army and produced in .44 caliber, where the Navy preferred .36 caliber revolvers like a Colt 1851 Navy or a Remington Navy Beals. The reason the Army preferred .44 was because it could be used for shooting the horse out from under a mounted soldier, the Navy preferred .36 because it used less lead and powder, and they didn't need such a large caliber since there were no cavalry.
My mother was afraid of guns but now she likes shooting with me. It doesn't seem to bug her that my pistol sounds like Dirty Harry's gun, as long as we have hearing protection on it's all good. She does prefer lighter loads, I tend to like hotter ones. She used to have the whole "nothing bigger than a BB gun" policy, but I started becoming interested in gunsmithing and built some muzzleloading firearms. I just started small with a muzzleloading derringer and climbed up to getting a .50 caliber flintlock. She wasn't comfortable with cartridges yet, but when I showed her a Minnie ball for my .50 next to a .22 round she realized that a .22 isn't too big of a cartridge.
I've been collecting ever since. My dad likes shooting with me so much he even got a .22 rifle for himself. Then we went to an auction and bought some more guns. They were so cheap there too! I can't pass up a good .22 rifle for $25 bucks! That's just too good a deal so I got a couple .22 boy's rifles and some shotguns.
I do realize that it is their house and their rules. As I mentioned my father is a little more lenient with my smoking than my mother. He doesn't give me much hassle if I can't sleep and want to go smoke a bowl out back in the moonlight. Heck, he even gave me his old smoking jacket. Of course it smelled like Camels and had some butts in the side pockets, but I like it. I think the reason why he's easier on me is that he gets what a pipe is and what it does for me.
A few months ago I went and got seen by a professional, I have a psychological condition called mesophonia. That literally translates to "hatred of sound" and it's a dreadful condition. My entire family chews and smacks loudly at the dinner table and I'm extremely sensitive to it. They have gotten better but it's still impacting me severely. If someone were to loudly chew some gum next to me for five minutes my shoulders would be strung up and the muscles in my upper back get so tense it feels like a couple musket balls are under my skin. I also get migraines from that and I feel like it's contributing to my insomnia.
Smoking a pipe is my coping mechanism. Nothing relaxes me more than a bowl of good tobacco in the right setting out of my favorite pipe. It's my sedative. A pipe actually really helps me, it's a blessing from God I have such a good way to cope. Of course my mother doesn't get that, she thinks it's just the same as a cigarette. But a pipe gives me absolute peace and tranquility provided I take my time to do it right and in the right setting.
A side not on my Remington, my entire family is trained with firearms. My kid brother is 15 but knows to never touch firearms without the owners permission, he's a very responsible lad. And when I'm out I take my guns off the rack and pop them into my locking gun cabinet. This insures only I have control of them and nobody can walk into the house and have access to a firearm. I do keep a "life preserver" tucked away in case I'm not home and a family member is, in case something goes terribly wrong and a firearm is needed to save the life of my loved ones. They all know said pistol in and out, and know how to shoot it. I think it's a good system.
Take care and keep puffing! :puffy:

~Levi

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm not what you call a gunsmith but I have a .50 cal percussion pistol I built from a kit and it shoots great! My first gun was also black powder. A Colt Walker .44. That was a big boomer!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I wouldn't say that's the way the cookie crumbles. Every family is different with a different dynamic. Times are tough now. The younger generation is having a harder and harder time finding jobs because older folks are filling up entry level positions. One cannot simply move out. I agree though about cutting your parents some slack. You just have to talk. Communication is everything.

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Colt Walkers are definitely fun! The Colt Walker was the most powerful handgun in the world up until the late 30's when the .357 Magnum was invented by Elmer Kieth. That's the same guy who invented the .44 Magnum, .41 Magnum, and a few others. He was also a pipe smoker and has the same birthday as me, March 8th.

It wouldn't surprise me the slightest to find I was related to him somehow.

elmerkeith.jpg

This is probably what I'm going to look like when I'm older.
This year I'm thinking about getting a Colt 1860 Army, and a 1858 Remington with a blued steel frame and a gated conversion cylinder in .45 Colt.
Of course all families being different, there's no way to judge how to handle this. I'm thinking I just need to have a good talk with my mother like I did when I came out as a pipe smoker. I'm hoping she'll realize that I'm going to be reasonable.
Personally, I'd love to continue what I had been doing everyday. Have a bunch of different pipe tobaccos and some cigarettes without having to put on my hot smoking jacket. However I'm trying to not make pipe smokers look bad to my mother.
The other evening I was watching some TV with my parents. I left the room to go get something, and I could hear my mother saying that I smell like stale smoke. She said that was what my Pa' smelled like when he was a smoker, and that she was so glad when the smell left. But "the smell is back" she said. It feels disrespectful and like she's being a bully. I don't like that. I don't want to "reek of stale smoke" to them. I'd rather smell like a classy pipe tobacco.
That's the reason why I'm looking for a good blend to smoke. That and I just love aromatics! :puffy:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
She said that was what my Pa' smelled like when he was a smoker, and that she was so glad when the smell left. But "the smell is back" she said.

There are people who just do not like the smell of tobacco - any kind. And if the smell is bringing back unpleasant memories for her, it may be just as annoying to her as your misophonia is to you.
I don't know if this is the case or not, but since you are living in her house, it may be something to think about.
There are work-arounds for most of life's problems. I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
@ kabong30 please come over my house for the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse. 8O

I own several guns, most assault style but WOW...
@ busyhands I'm glad to hear everyone in your house has gun knowledge. The only danger is ignorance. You sound well grounded and are willing to take all into consideration. The start to everything is talking, now and in a future endevores.
I got a PAD today and it was all aromatics. I haven't opened anything but Altadis rum and maple. I will light is shortly but the aroma is like candy. :D

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Good news, I just talked to my mother.
So it wasn't what I though, it isn't she hates the smell of smoke but it's that the smell of tobacco smoke isn't good to her because she's an ex-smoker and worked hard to quit. I thought she just was giving me crap for being a smoker.
I told her of my intentions of getting some good smelling tobby, and asked her what she thinks about vanilla or cherry. She said that any kind of tobacco smell isn't good, but I explained to her that Cavendish has less of a tobacco smell and is a lot of the time flavored. She said it was my choice of what I want to smoke, as long as it's not marijuana she's fine with it. But I told her that I wanted to make sure she wasn't tempted to start smoking cigarettes again by my smoking and that I already love aromatic and flavored tobaccos like crazy.
So I'm thinking I need a nice aromatic that smells like vanilla, or chocolate, or maybe even a fine liqueur. With all these great suggestions you guys have given me it shouldn't be that hard to find one that I love to smoke and that doesn't bother her. I'm not trying to kiss ass here, I just want to make sure she isn't tempted by my smoking.
~Levi

vegasblue

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2012
@busy-hello there guy. I found out that the condition of you smelling like stale smoke can be remedied by lighting up a fresh one!!

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
I think I'll give up cigarettes, that's a good start. I know American Spirit Perique blend is freakin' tasty and I'm a "nicotine devotee" but I think I can do it. I was thinking about getting an electric cigarette for times only a cigarette will fix me up, but other than that I'm thinking about being strictly a pipe smoker.
If I give up cigarettes, my sense of taste and smell will become much sharper. I could enjoy the flavor of the tobacco much more. After all, that's what I really enjoy about a pipe. The flavor and the aroma. I want to be able to pick out the little nuisances better than I already do.
That and being a ten unfiltered RYO cigarette a day smoker during springtime with my bad allergies is dreadful. Every year for about two months it feels like I've got emphysema. I need to stop inhaling my tobacco, that and I've smoked for too damn long.
I'm thinking I could give up cigarettes and use a pipe to help me. I'd get to enjoy my sweet, sweet, precious nicotine but I'd be doing it in a way that is less harmful to my body.
~Levi

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I have seen candles at a b&m that are suppose to help with the smell. Maybe you should check into something like that.

busyhands94

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
That could work, my aunt frequents a smoke shop a few towns over that has said candles. I wonder if I burn one in my room if it will help with the smell of my pipes, I notice it does smell a little "tobaccoish" in there.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
@busy: As I mentioned.. my wife hates smoking. Always has, always will. Rule #1 I set for myself when we got married: I won't give it up, but I won't do in the house. And as you can probably tell, we've been happily married for quite some time now. And I still don't smoke in the house. Patio or Garage. Heater for the winter. Fan and misters on the patio for our long hot summers.
If you smoke in your room, perhaps worth considering to stop doing that and go outside. May cut down on the hassle

Status
Not open for further replies.