PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have been keeping a pocket notebook for a couple years. I have a terrible memory for a 30 year old and it seriously helps with that. I also started keeping a physical paper planner a couple years ago to help with dates and times. I find it easier to remember, of I write it down.

My favorite notebook is the Midori line of notebook systems. I can keep everything I need all in one leather cover. Other than that I like moleskines as well. I've filled many of those up through the years.
I also use a filofax, that was my calander, but I moved the calander to the Midori, because it's smaller.

Also I like pens. I don't know why, but it's one of my meager collections. The Parker jotter ballpoint is probably my favorite everyday pen, but I have a few mid-range fountain pens ( including cross, lamy, and pilot).

I'm sure you old geezer pipe smokers are with me on this. Lemme see em!

View attachment 285View attachment 286View attachment 287
View attachment 288
when I was in school I didn't study really all that hard but I always took notes. Notes that were totally useless to study. But something about writting it down helped get it stuck in my brain. Sometimes when I write jokes I write them down and throw it out because it's easier to remember if you write it down.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Paper, pens... I love it all.

I've mentioned my affinity for Rhodia, but I also love good, clean, cheap paper. This is serious nerd territory, but one of my hobbies is dabbling in Latin when I get downtime at work. I work in a shop doing repairs. Most of the jobs have dry/cure times, so that means I sit and wait. One of my favorite things to do is translate simple Latin phrases on paper.

My favorite paper for this are those $1 Hecho en Mexico spiral notebooks from Walmart. The paper is super thin but has a slight raised texture. My Sharpie pens sort of stick to it and it takes just a bit of effort to get them moving along and flowing over it. I really enjoy that process and it makes for some great lines.

When I fill up a page, I just tear it out, wad it up, and toss it into the trash bin. It's a great way to get in some penmanship time and learn more Latin (or whatever else you wish to learn). Sometimes I'll decide on a poem or a Psalm or a bit from American history (not long ago I decided to memorize all the US Presidents in order) and learn it from memory by writing it down. It's a fun activity, and it's time much better spent than scrolling through IG, etc.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I go through a lot of cheap spiral note books. I take notes constantly for work but rarely refer to them afterwards. And I really like pens for some reason. My favorite daily use pen is the Pilot Metropolitan fine gel rollerball- I love the shape and the feel of it and it is a joy to write with.
83076087-99CF-4D43-B5FF-2A04FFF7FC8D.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I go through a lot of cheap spiral note books. I take notes constantly for work but rarely refer to them afterwards. And I really like pens for some reason. My favorite daily use pen is the Pilot Metropolitan fine gel rollerball- I love the shape and the feel of it and it is a joy to write with.
View attachment 218925
I have the metropolitan fountain pen and roller ball. Can't beat it for the price! G2 is my favorite gel pen, so it was an easy purchase since it takes the refills.

Ive been experimenting with the refills for the g2. I have .7, .5, and will be buying the .38s next. Need something that dries faster in my moleskines.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I have the metropolitan fountain pen and roller ball. Can't beat it for the price! G2 is my favorite gel pen, so it was an easy purchase since it takes the refills.

Ive been experimenting with the refills for the g2. I have .7, .5, and will be buying the .38s next. Need something that dries faster in my moleskines.
I just ordered another Metropolitan rollerball and a bunch of refills. I have a Metropolitan ball point with the twist mechanism too but I don’t like it nearly as much as the rollerball with the regular cap.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just ordered another Metropolitan rollerball and a bunch of refills. I have a Metropolitan ball point with the twist mechanism too but I don’t like it nearly as much as the rollerball with the regular cap.
Huh. Didn't know they made a twist! I prefer click, over cap, but cap over twist.

Reactions: LotusEater
Jan 27, 2020
I have to stop mentioning things I like to my girlfriend as she files them away for birthdays. I mentioned I would one day (in the distant future) like to get a Pineider pen and she gave me the one below for my birthday. Super happy with it but don't exactly like her spending the money on such a thing. Even more amazing though- she drew me this Rygel card in the style of a delft tile.

rygelpen.jpg

Reactions: didimauw