PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have been keeping a pocket notebook for a couple years. I have a terrible memory for a 30 year old and it seriously helps with that. I also started keeping a physical paper planner a couple years ago to help with dates and times. I find it easier to remember, of I write it down.

My favorite notebook is the Midori line of notebook systems. I can keep everything I need all in one leather cover. Other than that I like moleskines as well. I've filled many of those up through the years.
I also use a filofax, that was my calander, but I moved the calander to the Midori, because it's smaller.

Also I like pens. I don't know why, but it's one of my meager collections. The Parker jotter ballpoint is probably my favorite everyday pen, but I have a few mid-range fountain pens ( including cross, lamy, and pilot).

I'm sure you old geezer pipe smokers are with me on this. Lemme see em!

Last edited:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This is one I just recently bought. I love the feel and the look of the leather, I think it will really develop a nice patina.

I’d be into collecting pens if I didn’t spend all my free money on tobacco. I have made a few on the lathe a long time ago but I ended up giving them away as gifts (pens make a great present). I would like to get into fountain pens someday.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
At work in my office, I prefer technology over analog. We've got an on-site server, as well as offsite backup, plus paper backups of the most important stuff. The technology makes it much easier to review and search various documents in a much shorter time. It's just overall more efficient.

However, in my personal life, I heat my house with wood (when I'm home), drive a manual truck, and hunt with a 75 year old American-made shotgun, so I understand the sentiment.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have another nice one my Mother gifted me awhile back but it’s at the office. I’ll try to take pictures of it tomorrow. It’s leather bound, has a sewed in cloth bookmark and it zips up. It’s very handy for taking notes and solving problems at work.

f5rd2hy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2017
NV
I use my Hobonichi daily as a food log. Also have a few Field Notes going - one daily, one for the bike (CRF250L) and one for the car (maintenance, oil life miles, etc.). A few other notebooks going also - one A5 Life book for pipes.

Also have a midori passport size (graph) that I use for my volunteer work log.

I like dots and graph - and will use lined pages in a pinch. Be warned..., notebooks seem to accumulate like pipes!

zgf06e1.jpg

Goulet pens passport sized and a Calepino (French for notebook iirc) - I added the stickers

upWULRv.jpg

one that's - 30 -

RWEkHFa.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I’ve carried Rite in the Rain books at work for years. I’m in the dirt a lot - these books can just take a beating.
A Pentel Graphgear .9 is my trusty work pencil.

View attachment 434
I also use rite in the rain books for my job on the railroad. I'm outside in all kinds of weather, and have ruined a few normal notebooks before finding these!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I only ever use Rite in the Rain. I get them for free from work (which is a big deal since they are $20 a pop), and they are unbeatable in foul weather and are incredibly durable. Most of the time I use technology though. Many years ago, being a Surveyor, it was drilled into my brain that one must write in all caps, with perfect penmanship. Now my brain can't do anything else and it takes an hour to write anything down, so I mostly use the notes feature on my iphone, which has like 500 notes in it now, hahaha.

But I always carry a Rite in the Rain for when I have the time, or when technology fails me. Much of the award winning poetry I wrote in college (go ahead, laugh) was scrawled onto the perfectly aligned little prison bars of a Rite in the Rain transit fieldbook in Prudhoe Bay, AK.

And if that wasn't enough, they look like a Rattray's tin!!!

3WGP2_AS04

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Where do you get the notebooks for the Midoris? Wanna make the leather covers but I haven't been successful sourcing notebooks of a given, consistent size that are not made in China.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Amazon, and jetpens have been my source. A lot of people make them on Etsy as well, a little more expensive though.

The big one is the standard travelers notebook, and the pocket one is the passport size.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have a dog eared, crooked, folded pile of receipts wadded up in my wallet, upon which all of my essential data is written.

About once a month, on a windy day, I'm chasing something important across a busy parking lot. That's my exercise program.

View attachment 446

View attachment 445
Jay, in between the white and pink paper, there's some sort of funny looking greenish stuff. What is that? :oops: