PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
A couple of new additions to my analog lifestyle. Ordered a new filofax, because my other one is too small to comfortably write in. IMG_20200202_125914.jpg
And I'm switching over my pocket notebooks from my old black moleskines pictured earlier, to field notes notebooks. I ordered these months ago, but was working on filling up my current book before opening them.
My last notebook went through the wash 2 days ago, so it was a perfect time to try something new.
IMG_20200207_233841.jpg
I prefer the thinner notebooks. They fill up faster, and I can store them away before something inevitably bad happens to them.
Pen pictured: Parker Jotter

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
A couple of new additions to my analog lifestyle. Ordered a new filofax, because my other one is too small to comfortably write in. View attachment 18584
And I'm switching over my pocket notebooks from my old black moleskines pictured earlier, to field notes notebooks. I ordered these months ago, but was working on filling up my current book before opening them.
My last notebook went through the wash 2 days ago, so it was a perfect time to try something new.
View attachment 18585
I prefer the thinner notebooks. They fill up faster, and I can store them away before something inevitably bad happens to them.
Pen pictured: Parker Jotter
I’ve had my eye on those Field Notes. They look like a good shirt or breast pocket carry. Graph, ruled , or plain?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I’ve had my eye on those Field Notes. They look like a good shirt or breast pocket carry. Graph, ruled , or plain?
Yes I like to carry them in a breast pocket. I used to like the plain notebooks, so I could do whatever, and wasn't limited to lines. But the field notes are graph, and I must say I love it. I ordered 9 more in graph form that will be here tomorrow.
Also like the fact they are made in the USA. Great quality notebooks. They can be pricey for some people, but Ill spend up to 40 dollars on a pen, so 9 - 12 dollars for 3 notebooks is not expensive for me.

IMG_20200208_000246.jpg

Last edited:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There is certainly an appeal of putting pen to paper, there is a textural component that you don't get with tapping on a glass screen.

I think, in 15-20 years, would I rather read an email from my dad or read his handwriting?

As for these leather notebooks and pens, I've discovered that pipesmagazine is a den of enablers who are out to spend every one of my extra pennies!

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I spent my working career in IT; designing and building advanced mathematical analytical systems for banks and payment networks but I was always considered a maverick (well, eccentric really for using a Filofax for personal notes and schedules). These days I tend to use moleskine notebooks and diaries but I’m tempted to get a nice leather folio for a small notebook.

Another sign of my eccentricity in the eyes of my colleagues was going on cycling and camping (as in tents) holidays but since hardly a working week went by which didn’t involve planes, international travel and hotels staying staying in a hotel on holiday was too much like being at work!

Reactions: Bowie and Casual

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I use 'Moleskin' note books and I usually get one from my wife for Christmas and I usually buy one of last years diaries to use as a note book. By putting a label on the old diary it becomes my 'To Do' book which I record the tasks to be done. As I eliminate those tasks I put 2 straight red lines with a ruler through the task. The other one records my bill due dates, appointments, birthdays etc.IMG_0273.JPG

Reactions: Bowie and burleyboy

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I've got to look into getting a notebook and start jotting down notes. I have post-it notes and scraps of paper all over my desk.

Question: Do any of you date your entries? Daily, occasionally, never?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I still use a Daytimer system for work. I recently switched to the TUL disc system. I purchased the punch, and make my own sheets. A new hire direct-report was using this system and he convinced me to switch from Daytimer. It's pretty convenient, durable and easy to manage.

tul-note-taking-data.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
There is certainly an appeal of putting pen to paper, there is a textural component that you don't get with tapping on a glass screen.

I think, in 15-20 years, would I rather read an email from my dad or read his handwriting?

As for these leather notebooks and pens, I've discovered that pipesmagazine is a den of enablers who are out to spend every one of my extra pennies!
We'll make sure you post pictures of whatever u decide to buy! Hahaha

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've got to look into getting a notebook and start jotting down notes. I have post-it notes and scraps of paper all over my desk.

Question: Do any of you date your entries? Daily, occasionally, never?
Yes my actual "journal" I have I date the entries, along with the time I start writing. I wish my parents did more writing back in the day. All I have from my mom, is a letter from 1968, to my dad before they got married when he was in the service. The letter was hilarious and eye opening at the same time.
I hope that my daughter reads my jargon after I become tree food. You learn a lot about people that way.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I still use a Daytimer system for work. I recently switched to the TUL disc system. I purchased the punch, and make my own sheets. A new hire direct-report was using this system and he convinced me to switch from Daytimer. It's pretty convenient, durable and easy to manage.

tul-note-taking-data.jpg
I recently found out that my father in law also is a pen snob like me. Sort of. I couldn't convince him to use fountain pens though. His own of choice is a metal TUL pen. And he just buys the refills for it when he needs it. That's how I've been lately. After I found my favorite few pens, I stocked up on refills (my Parker Jotter) and more ink ( cross, pilot, and lamy fountain pens).

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
I do bullet journaling off and on with a Leuchtturm 1917 book, and a Pilot Metropolitan . It’s not the best paper for a fountain pen, but the book is specifically laid out for bullet journaling

Reactions: Bowie

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I do use fountain pens (on a daily basis) and Leuchtturm1917 notebooks. I have plenty of smaller palm-size notebooks scattered in my bags and briefcases wherein I make notes with mechanical pencils and fancier ballpoints (like Pentel Excel) all the time.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
About 10 years ago I was teaching myself to write macros, in this case simple conditional logic programming for CNC machines. I thought I was pretty cool. They were using stuff I wrote at work and I was pondering new stuff and how to improve old in my free moments.

I remember wishing that I could get a very inexpensive text editor that I could just stuff in my pocket and have to work on my macros to fill free moments in waiting rooms, etc. . I was thinking of old, cheap, tablets, etc. "Darn" I thought, "Doesn't have to be a great editor, just cheap and portable."

It actually took me about a day to think of a pencil and paper.