WOW: 34 Hotdogs Would Feed Me For a Fortnight.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Some guy just ate 34 hotdogs in a mere 10 minutes :oops:.

And apparently some guy from Indiana holds the world record at a whopping 76 hotdogs scoffed in 10 minutes :eek:.

I once took a bet to eat 6 cream crackers in 1 minute (no liquid assistance allowed) as I thought it a sure fire win. It wasn't and I lost.

Regards,

Jay.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Joey Chestnut does hold the record at 76.

10 years ago, I worked alongside the Nathans brand, at New Jersey travel plaza locations (think Ireland's Applegreen plazas in the UK). I used to do the NJ qualifier and assist their brand rep. It was pretty crazy, and somewhat gross. It's amazing what they can do. To witness it in person, it's mind boggling. I still have a t-shirt somewhere. Nathan's is a storied hot dog brand here, that started in NYC.

Reactions: yanoJL and JOHN72

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been to most of these famous NJ hot dog stands. My favorite, "Rhutt's Hut" in beautiful, downtown Clifton NJ.
They have "bike nightt" once a month in summer. All the nut jobs from the NYC metro area showup. I've met Hells Angels and Pagans motorcycle gangs there. Both are very scared of the two worst and dangerous MC clubs - the NYC Police MC Club and the NYC Firemans MC Clubs. Both have gotten into fights with each other on nearly every visit. While watching a fight standing next to a Hell's Angel, he said to me "those guys scare us".

It used to be $1 Beer & $1 hot dogs, that's where the trouble starts...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al, are they allowed to use buttered bread rolls? I'm thinking the butter might just help things along a bit rather than it being dry.

Regards,

Jay.
No, plain hot dog buns. Now, they all dip in water, which ups the grossness factor, but allowed contestants to push to the results they can now achieve.

Arrangements of the bun/hot dogs is taken very seriously by the contestants. Only a Nathans rep is allowed to assemble the plates. Mike Moles, their senior consultant is shown on the ESPN broadcast every 4th of July. (we worked the NJ Turnpike plazas together)

1693147763655.png

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
I've been to most of these famous NJ hot dog stands. My favorite, "Rhutt's Hut" in beautiful, downtown Clifton NJ.
They have "bike nightt" once a month in summer. All the nut jobs from the NYC metro area showup. I've met Hells Angels and Pagans motorcycle gangs there. Both are very scared of the two worst and dangerous MC clubs - the NYC Police MC Club and the NYC Firemans MC Clubs. Both have gotten into fights with each other on nearly every visit. While watching a fight standing next to a Hell's Angel, he said to me "those guys scare us".

It used to be $1 Beer & $1 hot dogs, that's where the trouble starts...

Rutt's Hutt is great. I do love The Varsity in Atlanta and a few other places. I have made it to a bunch of the places from Rick Sebak's documentary : A Hot Dog Story Here it is on Youtube.

Reactions: JOHN72 and ssjones
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Rutt's Hut does the deep-fried "ripper", believe me, nothing foreign survives this cooking process.
They are safer than the silverware at the five-star restaurant near you. (definitely do not go into those kitchens...)

I went to Rutt’s Hut years ago with my friend Willy—we had to try the deep-fried hot dogs. We were surprised by the amount of seagulls in the parking lot hanging around looking for scraps.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72 and ssjones

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Nathan's hot dogs are pretty good. Usually boil it first then roll it around the hot pan to brown the outside. Chopped onion and yellow mustard for me. But anything more than 3 is too many. Can't imagine shoving in that many.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
There are a few foods that shouldn't be underestimated with the quantities I can eat. Hot dogs, street tacos, and bbq are on the list.

However, I love different condiments on my dogs and wouldn't ever compete to win (I'd participate just for the free food). After all, large Americans like myself typically lose.

Reactions: JOHN72